Which hubs?

daveyroids
daveyroids Posts: 223
edited December 2008 in Road general
I've just got back to cycling after a considerable lay off. After riding my geared bike for a couple of weeks, and getting annoyed with it I got back to real cycling and rebuilt the fixed.

I am going to build myself a new set of wheels in the near future and I'm a little confused when it comes to hubs. I have always used cup and cone style hubs as they are easy to repair but there seems to be a lot of sealed cartridge hubs around. I have been looking at the Halo dual fixed hubs but I'm not sure whether I should stick with the old style cup and cones or not.

I would appreciate any comments on what hubs you use and your recommendations.

Comments

• robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    I use a pair of Godtech hubs on my fixie:

http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk ... Track+Hubs

They have a very good reputation, are beautifully finished and I haven't managed to break them yet! I'd certainly buy them again.
  • GarethPJ
    GarethPJ Posts: 295
    As usual the cup and cone versus sealed bearing argument is something of a trade off. And to an extent it depends on the initial price of the hubs.

With cheaper sealed bearing hubs tend not to be servicable, when the bearings go the hubs are scrap. With cup and cone bearings, however, your hubs can be made to last much longer. With more expensive sealed bearing hubs usually have replaceable bearings so the longevity issue doesn't come into it.

Sealed bearings are usually better protected from the elements (ask a mountain biker) so a winter bike would probably be better suited to sealed bearings.

I've certainly never noticed any difference in the ride between the two. I certainly got on well with my On-One double fixed.
  • Yeah I do tend to agree on the geared bike I'm using Tiagra hubs and they have been brilliant. I've just paid a couple of quid for new bearings and they are running perfect again. I do need to find out more about the Halo fixed hubs as I'm guessing they are serviceable but I'm not sure yet.