Cramp ! The most annoying thing in the world !

stevet1992
stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
edited December 2008 in Health, fitness & training
Ok after a long ride (well long for me) i ended up having to walk from the place to the station, due to the fact that if i even started to pedal i would have to dive to the road side in crippling cramp in my lower leg.

I have put this down to not being prepared as i hadnt bought any cereal bars out and this resulting in me having no energy

and also that i was wearing shorts in the freezing weather

the problem is that after getting home and having a warm bath and plenty of energy food i still suffer from 'cramp attacks'

whats the best way to prevent cramp on a ride?
and also what is the best way to cure cramp?

cheers
On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders

Comments

• cramp often is symptomatic of a lack of magnesium if I remember correctly, teacher in school once told us. Try to either take a supplement if it's regular, or eat a banana before/after/during the ride to help it. If it does hit, i feel your pain, been there a few times, worst one ever when about 100 feet out to sea swimming
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • there is actually much debate in the nutrition world about the cause of cramp... there doesn't seem to be a specific explanation for the cause of it.

Most studies put it down to dehydration of muscles and/or toxicity due to lactic acid.

Best ways to avoid it are:-
    1) Warm up slowly before a ride (especially in this weather) and do a full stretch before you start riding
    2) Keep as hydrated as possible during your ride
    3) A post ride stretch is important as it will loosen your muscles and can help prevent cramp afterwards.

I was always told (when playing rugby) that jumping straight into a hot bath after a very cold game can have a negative effect on muscle recovery... i always had a warm shower and never had cramp problems.

If you do get cramp...STRETCH IT OUT!! otherwise it will keep coming back!

B
  • Many sportsmen, especially in cricket have an ice bath first then having something warmer later.
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • Many sportsmen, especially in cricket have an ice bath first then having something warmer later.
    Yup, had a few myself and they suck.
  • stevet1992
    :shock: im not one to take kindly to ice baths :lol:

so really the best thijng to avoid it is to stretch and eat right before/during/after the ride

and if i dont get cramp again stretch it out and not role around like a little kind :roll:

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I'm sorry, but I've got to vote for jock itch as more annoying than cramps. :wink::wink:
    Then again I don't get many cramps but there are times I seem to suffer from terminal
    crotch rot.

Dennis Noward
  • stevet1992
    dennisn wrote:
    I'm sorry, but I've got to vote for jock itch as more annoying than cramps. :wink::wink:
    Then again I don't get many cramps but there are times I seem to suffer from terminal
    crotch rot.

Dennis Noward

:shock: are you mad :lol: full on cramps are worse then anything, i can put up with cuts broken bones and bruises but when it comes to cramp :roll: im reduced to screaming likke a small child :wink:

• bigbenj_08 wrote:

- I seem to remember saying this to you twice.. (I'm not entirely stupid you know)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Lack of hydration and mineral/salt/potassium and the aforementioned magnesium? Good isotonic drink maybe what you need.
  • stevet1992
    Papa Smurf wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:

- I seem to remember saying this to you twice.. (I'm not entirely stupid you know)

:lol: i was listening honest :wink: stretched it out during the night (had worse cramp) and that helped so cheers for that 8)

so supersonic is it worthwhile buying a big tub to make my own isotonic drink ? if so what drinks are good value?

• Reckon some decent food is a must for you too.. Get some from work.. I'd imagine you get discount lol
    Banana's, fig rolls, flapjacks - That's the only reason why I MTB you know :lol:
    (Pftt.. Yeah right!)
  • supersonic
    Tubs of the stuff, make your own (some recipes here somewhere) or just eat mineral rich foods and plenty of water!

On a ride I do I used to pass a petrol station on the way to the trails - and pick up a bottle of Lucozade sport. Fit nicely in bottle holder!
  • stevet1992
    ok just had a search around, we've got some SIS isotonic powder any good ?

dont get a discount yet :( but still ill pick some up from work 8)

• supersonic
    It'll do fine, not cheap though.
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    had them once, pinch of salt (1/8-1/4 tsp) in my water since and they've not come back.