Clip Pedals - Advice on a budget

NM
NM Posts: 3
edited December 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi,

Can any one advise on a suitable pedal as a first go with "clipless". I already have flat pedals (plus old toe clips) but feel I should try SPD or similar for my MTB and newly acquired cyclo cross bike.

I've looked at pedals like the Shimano 424 with a form of platform for the occassional use with normal shoes - are these OK as a first purchase?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Nick :?: [/b]

Comments

• BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    If you are just wanting to try spd,s then the M520 is a good place to start can be had for £20.
  • Hi, for my first pedals I went out and bought M647 for £40. That was 2 weeks ago, i have been out a couple of times with these and they are brill. Easy to get in and out which i was really worried about at first and really comfy. I went for some Spez Taho for my first shoes, they are more a walking/cycling shoe but are also very comfortable.

I hope this helps alittle.
  • I have just today got my first set of clipless and shoes, got a load of bike vouchers for chrimbo and i thought i'd give them a try, been meaning to for ages, sick of slipping pedals.

I got the Shimano M520 pedals (£24 odd quid) and Shimano MT41B shoes (£48.29 or something), which are spot on because i have quite skinny feet and Shimano are known for skinny shoes (apparently).

Had a quick blast before round the block earlier on and i love them already, being attached to the bike feels mad, you can get some good power down (and up!) on the cranks and it feels like your part of the bike rather than riding it, even though i haven't actually been offroad with them yet, i'd totally recommend going clipless.

(Sorry about the vague prices, but since the VAT cut, all the amounts are random and i can't be bothered to go to the car for the receipt :? )
  • Have a look at the Btwin double function pedals from the Decathlon website, theyre made by Wellgo and have spd clips on one side and metal platform on the other, price is £20. I've used them for 3 years in all conditions and had no problems, as you can unclip and spin the pedal you can avoid accidentally clipping in when you don't want to be , if you know what i mean.
  • jadamson
    jadamson Posts: 644
    you can pick up a pair of M520 on ebay for £15 brand new with cleats.
  • NM
    NM Posts: 3
    Many thanks for all your replies. I think I will give the M520's a go as I alrealdy have platform pedals and it takes 10 seconds to change them back.

The other issue is the shoes I was looking at the dhb M1 shoes on Wiggle at £44 which appear to get favourable reviews - but have the downside of being a mail order product.

The shoes are

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/dhb_M ... 360033176/

Any comments - thanks guys.

Cheers

Nick :)
  • The dhb shoes always get good reviews from the mags.
    I started with a pair of 661 Experts and M520's
    Was, and still am very impressed with the 661's they have survived trips to Spain, Wales, the Lakes and are still used for the daily commute - they have done me well
    ...................................................................................................

www.justgiving.co.uk/simonjansma
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    I wear Specialized MTB Sport shoes (in the dryer months) they are very comfy and are packed with great technology to stop hot spots on the feet,and are around £55.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProd ... spid=40333
  • bails_89
    bails_89 Posts: 143
    I brought the M520s and the dbh M1 shoes with some Christmas money. The pedals were about 18 pound with postage from ebay and the shoes from wiggle. Iv been out riding in them a few times and they are a lot more efficient than normal pedals. I would recommend for the first pair of shoes/pedals but as you grow to like them you may want to upgrade and get some more expensive ones.

give them a shot anyway.:)
    Its not about the bike....
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    I've got Crank Bros pedals with Specialized disco slippers.