Frozen fingers-need new gloves

oldskoolkool
oldskoolkool Posts: 86
edited December 2008 in Workshop
Can anyone recommend decent windproof winter gloves?as I almost froze my fingers off out on the bike today.The hotter the better really as Id prefer to be too hot than too cold.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    I use a pair of Madison windproof gloves with Sealskins thermal glove liners underneath. Toasty down to about -3 (the coldest I've ridden in this year), possibly colder.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    I got a pair of Endura 'deluge' gloves for xmas - done a few hours with them since in 1-3 deg and hands are as warm as toast. Also very light, with no bulk to them...
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I find that my Altura Nightvision gloves are good at low temperatures.
  • Can anyone recommend decent windproof winter gloves?as I almost froze my fingers off out on the bike today.The hotter the better really as Id prefer to be too hot than too cold.

It depends on how much you feel the cold. I never suffer from cold feet but cannot find any gloves that keep my hands warm much below freezing (and I have a drawer full of gloves to prove it). Today at -3C and windy it took a good half hour before my hands were warm in my ultimate cold weather set up of Pearl Izumi lobster mitts (which keep your fimgers together and hence should be warmer) with Endura liners. In the same conditions some of my clubmates will manage with a thin pair of windtex gloves.
  • Sick of cold digits, and with loads of different cycling gloves purchased over the years, (none of which solved the issue for me), I bought a pair a ski gloves from Aldi on Sunday for less than a fiver! Bought the large size so can get track mitts inside for the padding on the palms. Went out yesterday and today, couple of hours each time, and hands were very warm throughout, despite a biting easterly wind and temps of around 2c, which must have given a windchill of below -5c, taking into account the cooling effect of speed of riding into the wind.

On the downside they are bulky, and remove the finesse of touch, and gear changes were fumbled a couple of times. However, with ice-cold fingers, I can't feel anything anyway, but at least they are warm now!
  • Cheers for the ideas guys,I've always had problems with cold toes n digits in the winter,think thats why I detest this time of year with a passion,....give me sweltering,stuffy heat anytime...
    Seemed to have solved the cold toes reasonably well by getting a pair of Endura neoprene overshoes,only midly chilly toes with only thin summer race socks under well ventilated Specialized S-works road shoes so pretty pleased there.
    It woulda been a nice ride today apart from the fingers,I had to get my girlfriend to open the front door to let me in lol.I can't remember the last time I felt so much pain when they started to warm up again,they still felt tender hours later!
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    For really brass days I've never suffered cold fingers with Specialized Radiants. They are however quite bulky (have missed shifts with STIs - shouldn't be an issue if you're on Campag) and are only of real use when its uber chilly. I don't have sweaty paws by any means but if its starts to warm up mid-ride you could have yourself a pair of boil in the bag hands.

I've Assos 851s and Specialized Deflects for milder days.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    I use Pearl Izumi Amfib Lobster gloves. Toastier than a toasty thing!
  • ScottieP
    ScottieP Posts: 599
    I know they're not supposed to be a really cold weather glove - but my Altura Shields have been excellent. I've been out for 50+ kms on two of the last three days in max 3 degrees celsius and my hands have been fine with my alturas. I've had colder feet (even wearing woolie boolies and endura overshoes) and legs (Lusso Max Repel bibs).

ScottieP
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/
  • NCC
    NCC Posts: 1
    I have stupidly cold hands and really suffered until I got some lobster style gloves - Endura's in my case. The LBS had to order them in as apparently there's not much call for them. Got to say they've totally changed things and made riding enjoyable again, even in this weeks 'minus lots' temps. Although they do look very, very silly :wink: !
  • I've started using some Alpline Lowe Ski Mittens with a separate fleece inner glove. Only works with winter bike cos it's got shifters on the down tube. Very warm at 2 deg C the other day. Going out tomorrow am in colder weather so will see how they fare in sub zero temperatures.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I've been using the LewisKit baselayer and outer glove combo for the last month, and they've kept my hands nice and toasty, particularly during the last few days.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    When the temps are close to or below zero my fingers start to get painfully cold, the rest of the time I don't seem to suffer with cold hands.
    Specialized gloves (not sure the particular ones - grey/blue colour) are fine down to maybe 5c then fingertips get cold even with their inners.
    Have had lobster-type mits before but the ones I have are fit for the bin so I popped into a Lidl store last night - purchased 1 pair womens snowboarding gloves for £3.99 !
    This AM it seemed either it was too mild or they were working really well as, along with cheap, thin inners they were toasty. They have a thickish plush inner and supposedly waterproof breathable outer and my hands were really warm.
    I'd guess the temps on my commute in were around 0 so a reasonable test. Obviously long-term they may not be up to it but I'll try to report back. Certainly there is a lack of feel and STI-gear changes are not as easy but they work ok.

I was about to order a pair of Descente Wombats but I'll hold off for now.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    First, keep your arms warm. There's no point having the best gloves if your arms are so cold that circulation to your hands is being restricted by your body. So have a good thermal top and wear layers underneath, including long-sleveed layers.

Next, just as you wear layers in your clothing, try layers for gloves. A cheap pair of woolly gloves from a streetmarket or M&S etc are effective under most cycling gloves.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    I use a pair of cheap ski gloves with magic gloves undergloves
    ski gloves a fiver
    magic gloves a quid off the market.

Doesn't look very cool but who gives a damn when you have warm hands
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • I too have been riding through the lovely weather that we've had over the Xmas period and have discovered that cheap fleece gloves under skiing gloves work best for the hands and my snowboarding socks under my neoprene Nike booties are doing me just fine...
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Issue to be aware of with layering is to make sure that you do not end up with excessive pressure due to over-tight outer layer(s).