Seatpost Noise

newburb_1968
newburb_1968 Posts: 114
edited January 2009 in Workshop
Hi all, just looking for some advice.
I went out for a short boxing day ride and while riding along I was hearing some creaking/load clicking noises coming from under my seat when being in the saddle.

On inspecting the area there are some gorging/splintering on the seatpost.
Has anyone come across this before? If I keep riding could it snap? What could have caused this? (I have not had any crashes).

I believe that I have a 5 year warranty with the seatpost (Bontrager) as anyone else had a similar problem with seatpost and how have they got on with the warranty?

Regards
Barry

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Is it a carbon seatpost? These are often overtightened and crushed by the clamp. It even happens in the bike shop, my LBS were replacing a whole lot of carbon seatposts on their stock when I last went in, where a new guy had over-torqued them (they weren't visibly damaged, but to their credit they were still replacing them). They probably need torqing to 6 - 9nm, no more. If it is carbon and splintering, I wouldn't ride it. Get a torque wrench (or a Ritchey Torquey). If you think it came this way from the shop, take it back for a free replacement from them.
  • Yes it is Carbon seatpost, however I have not tighten it up tight and now realise that the seatpost clip is quite loose however the seatpost is stuck in the up tube.

I have been reading up on a few things in the noise bike post and realised also that I am due to grease the seatpost also to stop the seatpost sticking. (I believe)

Still very new and learning by mistakes, however I have written off to company around the splintering..

I will look to invest in the torque wrenches as you mentioned thanks very much.
    Regards
    Barry
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    In the "for what it's worth" column I use an aluminum post simply because I don't want to
    even have to think about breakage. Add to that the fact that, other than bling, cabon seatposts are no better, no worse(except breakage) than aluminum. IMHO I don't see
    any reason for a carbon post.

Dennis Noward
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Yes it is Carbon seatpost, however I have not tighten it up tight and now realise that the seatpost clip is quite loose however the seatpost is stuck in the up tube.

I have been reading up on a few things in the noise bike post and realised also that I am due to grease the seatpost also to stop the seatpost sticking. (I believe)

Still very new and learning by mistakes, however I have written off to company around the splintering..

I will look to invest in the torque wrenches as you mentioned thanks very much.
    Regards
    Barry

Do not use normal grease on a carbon seat post - there is carbon assembly pastespecifically made for this, but I just use hairspray to stop it slipping.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    dennisn wrote:
    In the "for what it's worth" column I use an aluminum post simply because I don't want to
    even have to think about breakage. Add to that the fact that, other than bling, cabon seatposts are no better, no worse(except breakage) than aluminum. IMHO I don't see
    any reason for a carbon post.

Dennis Noward
    Although both my bikes have carbon seatposts I agree. Anyone who can tell the alleged difference in comfort between an alu and a carbon post must have an ar$e so sensitive they orgasm everytime they sit down.
  • wilwil
    wilwil Posts: 374
    Carbon seat posts are more comfortable that's a good reason to use them instead of alu. I only tighten my seat post clamp to 35 - 40 inch pounds, about 4nm, same as the stem. It doesn't slip.
  • Thanks for all the advice to date, I am now trying to remove the seatpost from the bike except I have a problem.

It seems to be stuck/welded within the up frame and where I have trying to release the seatpost it is breaking off and leaving part of seatpost within the downtube.

Has anyone had this before and got a miricle method of spraying something or using something on this to enable a easy removal. (Or is it a case of snapping it of and try to chisel it out in a gentle sort of way). The seatpost is knackered and time for a replacement. :cry:

I will get another Carbon seatpost, and certainly look after it in the future (Right torque, take out occassionally for cleaning so it dosen't stick :oops: ) Any ideas on a decent seatpost in the price range of £35-£60.

Regards
    Barry