Resistance is futile.

bagpusscp
bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
edited January 2009 in Road general

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    What a great find - how much did the rescue cost?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Why does that never happen to me, my local dump seems to hide all the bikes.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • bagpusscp
    alfablue wrote:
    What a great find - how much did the rescue cost?

The grand total of £5
    bagpuss
  • Who did you pay? At my dump I pretend to dump something else and grab stuff when the elf and safety people aren't looking.
    I didn't realise you could buy it.
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    You utter bastard.

:-)
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    looks like you were robbed of a fiver to me - should have left it at the tip!
  • GarethPJ
    GarethPJ Posts: 295
    It annoys the hell out of me when people take stuff like that to the tip. No doubt it would have fetched a few quid on ebay, or failing that they could have freecycled it.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    So THAT'S where I left it!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • bagpusscp
    gkerr4 wrote:
    looks like you were robbed of a fiver to me - should have left it at the tip!

Ah yes, in most peoples eyes it is just another old bike. I look at the usefulness of all the vintage parts .This one has a good Brooks saddle,GB brakes,a good pair of handlebars and stem.Knowing what stupid prices some of this stuff goes for on the bay a fiver was a small price to pay.As for the frame Iam sure someone will turn it into a fixed wheel. :wink:
    bagpuss
  • GarethPJ
    A lot of people look down on these ol five speeds, but in reality they were often exactly the same spec as the ten speeds with the exception of the mech, double ring, shifter and cable. Those bits saved a few quid on the price. I remember my first "proper" bike was a five speed, had for a tenner less than the ten speed but otherwise identical in spec.

The other advantage is that the single ring chainset often has exactly the right chainline for a fixed wheel conversion.
  • Dickie
    Dickie Posts: 1,489
    Nice find BP that will clean up really well.
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    Progress report?
  • bagpusscp
    edited January 2009
    Ah.....well due to doing alot of riding since christmas and having to go back to work .I have not started this one yet. I am looking at part respary whilst keeping all the old decals.The steel /chrome wheels are going to have to go,as they weight a ton .Other than that the bike will remain the same.......I need a bigger garage ...or far less bikes :oops:
    bagpuss
  • bluecow
    bluecow Posts: 306
    bagpusscp wrote:
    Ah.....well due to doing alot of riding since christmas and having to go back to work .I have not started this one yet. I am looking a part respary whilst keeping all the old decals.The steel /chrome wheels are going to have to go,as they weight a ton .Other than that the bike will remain the same.......I need a bigger garage ...or far less bikes :oops:

Wash your mouth out. You need a bigger garage. <tut>
  • Looks very nice to me. My London Borough (Waltham Forest) has a bike recycling scheme and the guys who run it do them up for resale - or you can buy one and use their tools (£3 a session but top quality tools and access to spare parts from the shed at very small prices, and access to the expert advice of the guys who run it. If I a) knew what I was looking at and b) wasn't completely all fingers and thumbs with anything practical I'd give it a go.

I was in there yesterday (my branch of the London Cycling Campaign has access to the shed once a month) and there was a Giant down hill racing mountain bike. The guy running the place was explaining that the hub on the front wheel alone was worth £150...

Good luck with the project.
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • GarethPJ
    The only way to learn is to try it. If you're after a bike to learn you skills on try freecycle, there's bound to be a group in your area.

On the subject of the front hub it could only be a Chris King or a DT Swiss. Silly brands, silly prices. I can't think of another off road front hub that would cost over £100. You want to know how silly Chris King can get? How about a single speed specific front hub?

It's not free but I'm collecting a very nice 501 tubed Peugeot tomorrow.
  • GarethPJ wrote:
    The only way to learn is to try it. If you're after a bike to learn you skills on try freecycle, there's bound to be a group in your area.

On the subject of the front hub it could only be a Chris King or a DT Swiss. Silly brands, silly prices. I can't think of another off road front hub that would cost over £100. You want to know how silly Chris King can get? How about a single speed specific front hub?

It's not free but I'm collecting a very nice 501 tubed Peugeot tomorrow.
    Aha - the Chris King thing sounds very familiar. :wink:

With a London to Paris ride planned for June (with mates rather than a proper organised one with a support team) a crash course in maintaining my bike is a high priority for me and something I am pursuing. Cheers for the support though.
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • meagain
    "As for the frame Iam sure someone will turn it into a fixed wheel."

Bloody 'ell, that'd be pretty clever even by your standards, Paul!
    d.j.
  • GarethPJ
    meagain wrote:

Shame I don't work at a foundry anymore. That would be a start.
  • bagpusscp
    meagain wrote:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ps Dave you have pm.
    bagpuss
  • meagain
    Paul - you have TWO pms!
    d.j.