RST Launch, a little help please

Alex-nutsaboutbiking
edited December 2008 in MTB general
Yesterday i was out on my bike and the brakes were screeching a bit so when i got home i took of the wheel and cleaned the rotors and pads.

when i put the wheel back on i was tightening the bolt ( i dont have QR on the front for some reason) and even though i was putting hardly and pressure on it the drop out started to move. so i took the wheel back off and when i did half of the drop out fell of !

i dont know how or why because i havnt had abig crash for ages and i was out riding my bike for ages without anything happening it just randomly fell off. so now i cant ride my bike until its fixed but i dont no whether i should contact RST, or try and find new legs for the fork or just buy a new fork what do you guys think?

Comments

• stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    edited December 2008
    Take them back to where ever you bought them/bike from (RST will tell you to do that), provided they are still under warranty (normally 1 year from date of purchase, will require proof of sale), but if you damaged the dropout in a crash/overtightened the nut you may have to pay for repairs...personally, i'd buy a better fork. And a qr/axle for your front wheel.
  • yer i want a better fork but i only got like 30 quid lol and i bought the bike from winstanleys off of the internet so would i have to email them or some thing
  • stu8975
    Yes, contact them (email them with pictures as well), you will have to send the fork back to them (or full bike if you dont know how to dismantle it), doubt they will refund the postage which wont be cheap cos the forks are a bit hefty in weight (approx 2.4kg). What bike is it?
  • a GT tempest 2.0 2008 and its not the lightest bike out there :S
  • stu8975
    Shouldnt be too difficult to dismantle..remove wheel,brake caliper, undo top cap of stem, remove stem and headset spacers, forks will drop out from there (make sure headset bearings dont go everywhere), or get some who knows what they are doing to do it (if you dont). but i'd be on the phone to them and see what they say.
  • ok thanks
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Second hand Dart 2/3 or Tora, or DJ 3.
    I know Dart's are not the best but still, they won't fall apart like Launch's. :lol: