Roof Mounted Bike Carriers

davree
davree Posts: 93
edited January 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hello,

I have a 2008 Stinky and have just bought a new car (Vectra Hatch 2003 2.2) I have roof bars and want to get a Thule roof mounted rack for the bike but I am slightly concerned about weight. I know the roof rack will take upto 100Kg but what about the rack?

I can only find one website which details the max weight the Thule carriers will take and that is only for the 591(even the Thule website doesn't say) which is 17Kg.

Does anyone have any experience with carrying a heavy bike on the roof with a Thule rack and if so which one?

Thanks

Davree
'08 Stinky and an old Saracen X-tort Single speed

"It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest incident of the nineteenth century"

Comments

• bells0
    bells0 Posts: 414
    2 x Thule 591's on my bmw coupe - carry my Trek Fuel @ 28.5lbs and girlfriends Scott Contessa [guessing just over 30lbs] fine.
  • shocka
    shocka Posts: 27
    I've got Thule 591s on a jeep patriot, best things i ever bought, so easy to use, stylish and durable. We carry a Giant Anthem & Orange p7 on them & have never had any bother
  • davree
    Thanks for the replys guys,

Still not so sure though as my stinky weighs around 20kg, do you think that the extra 3kg that my stinky weighs will make any difference to the17kg limit I have seen that the 591's have?

"It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest incident of the nineteenth century"
  • it'll be fine, stop moaning :wink::lol:
  • davree
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    it'll be fine, stop moaning :wink::lol:

Don't tell me to stop moaning, your bike will be next to mine so if it does fall off, it will probably take yours with it!! LOL

:shock:

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    thule america do one that will do the job, BUT it is not available in Europe (separate companies) but you could always bring one in your self.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • davree
    Cheers for that but the cost of shipping from USA is a bit steep, plus if the ones I can get in the UK will work I would rather get them as you can get them cheaper the more you buy (I need 3) :D

• Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    Davree not sure I like your avatar, could be offensive to some people.

Anyway I have the old Thule bars as the 591s don't fit my Meta 5. Worth checking you can fit your bike on whatever bars you buy as some bikes have quite strange geometry (and the Stinky is probably more unusual than some). I wouldn't have thought the bars I have would have any problem with a heavy bike as they are very simple and all the weight of the bike rests on the bars. The more sculptured plasticky form of the 591s may be more prone to damage from a heavier bike.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • davree
    Father Faff, - not sure I like your attitude but hey, if anyone (mods) find my avatar offensive I am sorry and will gladly change it if needed, it was only meant as a bit of light hearted jovialilty.

Also my roof bars will take over 100kg of weight so no problem there, and as I said the 591's have a max weight of 17kg and my stinky weighs just over 20kg, I was asking if the extra 3 kg would make a difference and if there were any other roof mounted carriers that would do the job.