QR Skewer Cleaning?

Johnny Napalm
Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
edited December 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Every now and then, when cleaning my bike, I remove the skewers and give them a good clean etc.

My question is -

When replacing the skewer, is it better to apply a thin coating of grease along the full length of the skewer, or will that act as a grinding paste, should any grit etc. find its way inside?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marin
SS Inbred
Mongoose Teocali Super

Comments

• P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    I like to stick a blob of grease on the shaft (oo er misses) myself. As they come greased from new, well mine did anyway I'd guess it's the way they should be.
  • Cheers 'P-Jay'!
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I tend to grease or lube the shaft when reinserting (stop it :lol: ), stops them rusting. Can't say I've ever had grit grinding away inside (thankfully :shock: ).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Jimbo.
    Jimbo. Posts: 124
    Grease = good. They're clamped-in tightly enough and sheilded enough to keep crip 'n' shat out, so the whole "grinding paste" thing is a non-issue.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I have never seen one with grit on the spindle so I reckon the grinding paste might only happen on very cheap low end hubs. I always grease the QR spindle because I would be more worried about it rusting and getting stuck
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    Nothing rotates around the skewer anyway so theres no friction involved. As with everyone else, just put some grease on to stop corrosion.
  • As always, you're all very helpful. Thanks for all the replies!

Cheers
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super