Garmin 305 or 705

jfwall
jfwall Posts: 41
edited December 2008 in Workshop
I've got a 305 at the moment that is playing up and out of warranty. Everytime I go over a sharp bump in the road it switches off which is more than annoying especially if you're training with a virtual partner! it reboots after a few secs but your virtual partner gets a leap on you :oops:

I'm going to stick this on my turbo bike and just use it in doors but was wondering if to replace it with a 705 or just stick with a 305. I don't really need the maps as I only ride in the NW and pretty much know routes and stuff so is their any real advantage over the 305 with the 705. I've noticed Halfords seem to have some decent online deals at the moment as well but anyone seen the 705 on offer at the moment. I'd normally get my stuff from Wiggle but no offers on the 705.

Thanks
Jonathan

Comments

• I had that problem with the 305 and Garmin warrantied it very swiftly. Worth asking them... If you don't care about mapping the colour screen on the 705 won't be much benefit over the 305.

www.handtec.co.uk had 705s at £218 which was the best price I found when I looked a while back now. I bought from them and service was good.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Yep, give Garmin a call, they're good at customer service.
    But to answer the question, no point in buying a 705 if you have no interest in maps.
  • jfwall
    jfwall Posts: 41
    Just called Garmin and they said they do a replacement service for out of warranty repairs for £56 including postage which seems pretty good to me. Will send it off today and they said it'd take around 10 days to replace and here's hoping.

Saves me having to buy a new one anyway.

Thanks for the comments!
  • I went for the 305 instead of the 705, the rationale being that I don't need the map application as I know the route I am going to take. I simply wanted a computer that could pretty much tell me everything. If you do get one, be sure to download Sport Tracks. It's superb.