Leg Warmers for "Normal" sized legs (not spindles)

prj45
prj45 Posts: 2,208
edited December 2008 in Commuting chat
So, I purchased some Gore Windstopper XL leg warmers and they were way too small; they didn't stretch very much and had I been able to squeeze them on I don't think I would've been able to bend my leg.

Anybody else with legs the same size as mine who's found suitable leg warmers?

The circumference of the widest part of my thigh is 28 inches (~71cm) and my ankles are 12.5 inches (~32cm), with an inside leg of 34 inches ,although I'd want to leg warmers to be 28 inches long.

I have a pair of skiing undertights that fit but they've got a seam in the crotch, so really looking for something for just the legs.

Ultimate get out for me is cutting the seat out of the tights but I'm no seamstress and thinking about how to stop the edges fraying is making my head hurt.

Comments

• Why not just buy some cycling-specific tights? Leg warmers are bound to be tighter as they have to hold themselves up...

Get thee to a LBS and try some on...
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    +1 for tights in this weather.

I have fleece-lined Sugoi running tights. They are brilliant. Bought them from Run & Become in St James's. Wear them under the bib shorts.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • prj45
    edited December 2008
    I can't believe I'm browsing the internet for tights...

Still, my eyes have been opened; back on the bike proper next week so a bit desperate.

Last time it was v cold I was riding through hyde park in my shorts, I looked down and my left leg looked a bit out of place, then I touched it and realised it was totally numb from the calf down...

Tights here I come.
  • I'm still in leg warmers and shorts.

I would rather drop £60 on a reasonable pair of shorts and £20 on leg warmers than £80 on a pair of tights that I can only use 20 days a year.

I used to use rowing tights over shorts, which are indestructible, but leg warmers are just that bit more comfortable.

They don't have to be any tighter than the leg gripper of a pair of shorts. Less so, actually, because they are held in place by your shorts rather than of their own volition.

I have a couple of pairs of Adidas legwarmers, and I have merely average rather than chicklen legs. Mavic made them for Adidas and are now selling them under their own brand. (or the same people are making them for Mavic.... yawn). Anyway, they are a bit frayed now but have lasted very well.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    prj45 wrote:
    So, I purchased some Gore Windstopper XL leg warmers and they were way too small; they didn't stretch very much and had I been able to squeeze them on I don't think I would've been able to bend my leg.

Anybody else with legs the same size as mine who's found suitable leg warmers?

The circumference of the widest part of my thigh is 28 inches (~71cm) and my ankles are 12.5 inches (~32cm), with an inside leg of 34 inches ,although I'd want to leg warmers to be 28 inches long.

I have a pair of skiing undertights that fit but they've got a seam in the crotch, so really looking for something for just the legs.

Ultimate get out for me is cutting the seat out of the tights but I'm no seamstress and thinking about how to stop the edges fraying is making my head hurt.

For the colder weather I have been using 5 quid tesco trackies over salomon running tights. It seems to work for me :oops: :) Salomon and Ron Hill were doing windstopper tights for runners, perhaps look those up. I had to buy XXL for my tights too. :oops:
  • cjcp
    I'm still in leg warmers and shorts.

I would rather drop £60 on a reasonable pair of shorts and £20 on leg warmers than £80 on a pair of tights that I can only use 20 days a year.

You use tights only 20 days a year? Up there? :shock: Good God, man. Do you have hide or skin?! I'm in tights from September to March/April!
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    I never use tights, I get far too hot. My legs are always fine in bibshorts and leg warmers.
  • prj45
    cjcp wrote:
    You use tights only 20 days a year? Up there? :shock: Good God, man. Do you have hide or skin?! I'm in tights from September to March/April!

I never used to wear anything on my legs, shorts only for me throughout winter (maybe two pairs of socks if it was really cold). Don't quite know why I've softened up recently; getting old I suppose.
  • How about these?

They are pretty long

http://www.stif.co.uk/gear/select_optio ... &store=mtb
  • cjcp wrote:
    I'm still in leg warmers and shorts.

Yes, come to think of it, I may have missed a zero. :oops:

I wear leg warmers a lot - seems that they are good for a wide temp range. Not sure that tights are aimed at anything other than really cold weather.
  • cjcp
    Not sure that tights are aimed at anything other than really cold weather.

Yep - me and people like me!
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jp1985
    jp1985 Posts: 434
    Hey

Im in the same boat as you, I brought some L defeet legwarmers from ribble a while back but they were no where near big enough so i now use them as slightly long armwarmers.

I've found decente coldout legwarmers to fit quite well although the ankle zips did give out after 10/15 rides but i would go for a bibtights. The dhb bibtights from wiggle are supposed to be pretty good and would probably end up cheaper than the gore windstopper leg warmers aswell.

Joe
  • prj45
    cjcp wrote:

Now you see I was back in shorts only when the temps went up a bit recently.

I figure anything below sort of six degrees and I get cramps

I'd really like just the option to add leg warmers to my bib shorts when I need to, but it looks like tights are the next best option for me, I'd only wear leg warmers when it was really cold anyway,so might as well wear tights.

Could be -13 next week apparently, that'll be interesting.
  • prj45 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Now you see I was back in shorts only when the temps went up a bit recently.

I figure anything below sort of six degrees and I get cramps

I'd really like just the option to add leg warmers to my bib shorts when I need to, but it looks like tights are the next best option for me, I'd only wear leg warmers when it was really cold anyway,so might as well wear tights.

Could be -13 next week apparently, that'll be interesting.
    Minus 13 where? Summit of Cairn Gorm at 4am, in a stiff breeze? Or central London. I'd be impressed if it was central London.
  • cjcp
    It's colder down here. And windier too. :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."