08 Cervelo R3 SL - spec

Andyb10
Andyb10 Posts: 126
edited December 2008 in Workshop
Hi there, have just come back from my LBS having just purchased my dream frame, and now faced with a couple of other lovely decisions re spec specifically

1) Groupset - either new Campy Chorus 11 speed or Shimano DA 7900? Yes I know that debate in itself could go on for ever. Currently have Ultegra but have heard great things about the new Chorus set up.
2) Planning on putting my Fulcrum Racing 1s on it but have been advised that this might make the set up overly stiff. Am currently running them on a Argon 18 Platinum. If not the Fulcrums thinking about some Ksyrium SLs or Durace carbon laminate jobs but am open to suggestions.
Any further thoughts would be appreciated. Don't want to spend more than £600 on wheels.

Have a good New Year everyone

Comments

• 1) Depends what you're used to but 2009 Campagnolo is excellent, mostly for the new lever shape and slightly faster shifting rather than having 11 speeds in and of itself. There's a review in the latest Cycling Plus who say Chorus 11 is the best groupset they've ever tested (though I don't rate them for their journalistic thoroughness this does count for something!). I've not ridden 7900 for any length of time but at the moment it seems a little overpriced to me.

2) This setup will be stiff but should be fine from experience on my R3 with Racing 1s. The R3-SL post is also a 27.2mm IIRC which will have a little more give. Some nice supple tyres (Vittoria, Deda Tre, Veloflex etc) and it will be snappy and still give a plush ride. Going from R1s to Ksyrium SLs is a waste of time and although the DAs are lighter it's marginal from a performance point of view. The Ksyriums will feel just as stiff as the R1s and the DAs are stiff but a little more forgiving due to thinner spokes and the rim construction. I'd spend £600 on something more entertaining (or take the £600 and the £400 saved on Chorus vs 7900 and buy some carbon wheels).
  • Andyb10
    Thanks for the reply James, I had just read the review in C+ as well hence my thought process.

I will probably stick with the R1s for the moment and see how I get on. On the seatpost front was planning on upgrading to Ritchey WCS carbon as have got a good deal one. Tyre wise I currently use Conti GP Chillis this time of year or Michelin Pro2's in summer. Tend to find the former a bit more forgiving truth be told
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    i agree with James (well, with what I think James was saying) in that I wouldn't pay the extra for 7900DA over chorus.

another option would be 2008 spec (I know it is ten speed) record - merlin cycles have it at £835 at the moment.

i'd also stick with the R1s to see how you get on with them - if you really wanted to change are a looking for lightweight and comfort (and if you go campag (which you should!)) then maybe some campag neutron ultras would be ideal at around the £400
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    gkerr4 wrote:
    another option would be 2008 spec (I know it is ten speed) record - merlin cycles have it at £835 at the moment.
    That's where my money would go - add some '09 carbon Centaur levers and you're sorted.

Not sure why but to me some brands of bike 'command' a certain type of groupset - anything Italian really should have Campag on it and most of 'the big 4' frames would get Shimano in my book. To me Cervelo just screams SRAM Red! But for the money, 10 speed '08 Record would be great on your frame.
  • Andyb10
    Rich_Ti

Know what you mean but I really fancy the new Chorus set up. Not sure about Sram as have heard very some very mixed reviews about it. Most of the Cervelo's I have seen have had Shimano which is one reason I raised the question

BTW nice bike and how do you like the Ultremos?
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    Andyb10 wrote:
    BTW nice bike and how do you like the Ultremos?
    Thanks, but I've actually just swapped it all onto an R3 myself this morning! :shock: :lol:

The Ultremos were very good, but the sidewall split on one of them and I now have zero confidence in them - I've switched to Michelin Pro Race 3s now and actually find they roll equally as good and are actually more comfortable at the same pressures (100-115psi).