Rapha Merino Jerseys

graham_g
graham_g Posts: 652
edited December 2008 in Workshop
Has anyone got any of the sportswool merino blend jerseys? I've been looking at merino cycling jerseys from a variety of places, but rapha is the only company that doesn't seem to state the % merino for every product.
Basically, I was wondering if the blend means that it's more likely to pick up odours - I want to be able to wear it for a week if necessary (on tour) without worrying about it smelling, now whilst I know I can do this with 100% merino, I'm not sure how a blend might work.

Comments

• DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    The Rapha Sportwool jerseys don't pick up smells any quicker than 100% merino in my experience.

The Rapha Sportwool jerseys outperform 100% merino in most respects, but the main advantage is that it holds it's shape much better, so you can load the rear pockets without it sagging down. Also I have found that the seams hold together much better on Sportwool.

I have had a few 100% merino cycling tops, and all have ended up being used as just a heavy winter base layer as they have not really performed that well as a jersey. I now have several Rapha Sportwool jerseys (2 x club jerseys and 1 x Classic Sportwool) and they have performed faultlessly.
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • Eeeeuw! I don't want to be riding behind you after a week in the same jersey! Why not pack some detergent and give it a rinse?!

If you really need to know the best bet would be to call Rapha though they're shut until next week.
  • graham_g
    They'll get washed/rinsed! It's just that I find after about 6 months of use, any synthetic jersey needs a 60 degree wash to get rid of smells which just annoys the hell out of me and means that they're no good for touring as they need a thorough wash on a daily basis.
  • FOGcp
    FOGcp Posts: 145
    sorry, have to disagree about Rapha stinkability. I think they are excellent jerseys and are my first choice for a winter ride but I find they pong after one hard ride. OK, I may be particularly sweaty but I don't get the same from my Ground effect MTB merino/synthetic jersey.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Graham G wrote:
    H but rapha is the only company that doesn't seem to state the % merino for every product..

Hm are you sure? Can only see the Classic longsleeve which doesn't state the %. I'd imagine that'd be the same as the short sleeve at 40%?

http://www.rapha.cc/index.php?page=105
  • graham_g
    Thanks for the input folks - that's a great help.