Lock-On's - Problem Fitting Bar Plugs

Beegsyboy
Beegsyboy Posts: 11
edited December 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Got Raceface Lock-On's for Christmas, fitted them to Commencal stock handlebar no problem. When I tried to fit the end caps they wouldn't fit as where too big?

The bars diameter is 20mm, most bars I've seen for sale seem to be 25.4. Is this the reason the bar plug won't fit? What else can I get to fit the bar end hole??

Or is it worth getting new fatter bars??

Sorry for cluelessness :oops:

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Might be the bar wall thickness being thicker than normal. I've got a similar problem with Hope bar end plugs and my Azonic bars. Hope bungs are the only ones I've found to fit.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • As redvee says, probably the bar thickness. I've got Peaty lockons, and have just changed from the Spesh standard bars to USE Atom carbons, and the end plugs won't fit now.

(Well, one went on, the other one broke! Doh!)
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • Cheers guys.

Just looked at Hope Grip Doctors, if thats what you mean redvee? They say "supplied with two expanding rubbers to fit all sizes of bars", so I guess they'll fit my bars.
  • They should work, but bloody hell, they cost more than the grips!
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • jadamson
    jadamson Posts: 644
    mine were hard to get in!! you just have to give them a wally! i put them roughly in place then put a piece of wood on them and hit them in with a hammer(hit the wood). hope that helps.
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    Have a look at these.
    I'm always loosing or trashing these plugs.
    8 for £2 + P&P does it for me.
    He does different sizes too.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/22mm-Round-Tube-E ... 240%3A1318
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Not sure mine are grip doctors as I've had them years now but they do have the expanding bit of rubber which never seems to get secure enough for my liking.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Vivid
    Vivid Posts: 267
    Beegsyboy wrote:
    Got Raceface Lock-On's for Christmas, fitted them to Commencal stock handlebar no problem. When I tried to fit the end caps they wouldn't fit as where too big?

The bars diameter is 20mm, most bars I've seen for sale seem to be 25.4. Is this the reason the bar plug won't fit? What else can I get to fit the bar end hole??

Or is it worth getting new fatter bars??

Sorry for cluelessness :oops:

25.4mm is for the middle cross section.

All most all handlebars taper to 22.2mm towards the lever and grip sections, a few are 19mm for women and child specific handlebars. One cause could be the thickness of the wall being larger than normal or that they are hard to fit and take a beating to insert being the likely option.