special women's topic

tardington
tardington Posts: 1,379
edited December 2008 in Commuting chat
Should I get new wheels?

Or this
http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/40392
for my gf's birthday in two weeks? She has provided me with sizes and everything :shock:

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    tardie wrote:
    my bf's birthday in two weeks? She has provided me with sizes and everything :shock:

A typo me hopes?!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    The dress. To borrow James May's brilliant expression on Top Gear tonight, your GF might be "apocalyptically mad" if you buy the wheels instead of the dress. Buying the dress will give you the brownie points you need to buy the wheels.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • That dress is truly horrendous.

Buy her something else. She'll (he'll?) thank you in the long run.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Get the dress otherwise you'll be paying for it for a long while if you don't. You'll be paying for it for a long time if you get it on the credit card :lol: too.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • rb1956
    rb1956 Posts: 134
    Buying dresses for other people is seldom a good idea, especially if you're a guy buying for a girlfriend. Even if the recipient likes the garment (Does my bum look big in this?), sizing and cut are way too variable and personal to be sure of a good fit. Does the vendor have a good returns policy?

Don't buy the wheels, but unless the GF has specifically asked for that dress, I'd suggest that you consider alternatives. Even if she has asked, if she doesn't like it, you won't escape collateral damage :twisted:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    MTFU and buy the wheels, tell her they'd sold out in her size. :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • tardington
    Daniel B wrote:
    tardie wrote:
    my bf's birthday in two weeks? She has provided me with sizes and everything :shock:

A typo me hopes?!

Whoops!
  • tardington
    Well, she sort of pointed at the dress... Hmm, maybe wheels for HER bike would be an idea.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Get the dress dude. If she's gone to the trouble to give you sizes then that's a bit of a clue, if I've learn't anything over the last 20 years, any more detail than 'oh that's nice' is a massive, massive hint. I'd hate anyone to go through the pain I've been through more than once :wink:

Just imagine the look on her face and how long you'lll spend in the dog house if she's expecting a very expensive designer dress and you produce a set of wheels :cry:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Actually buy both, give her the wheels first, laugh say you're only kidding then produce the dress, perhaps in the shock then delight she'll forget you've bought the wheels :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    I'd say that, if she's given you all the size info, then that's her way of saying that she really wants the dress.
  • Rich158
    Put it this way, if she's given you sizes she's saying 'get me the dress'

Or to put it another way, how long will you spend on the couch if you don't :cry:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    The wheels - always the wheels
  • Both?

:D
    "If we all had hardtails we'd all go down the hill, just slower"
    Nick Larsen

Voodoo D-Jab Ti
    Boardman Road Team 09
    Boardman Urban Team 08
    Falcon 3 Speed
  • AndyOgy
    Or you could get the wheels. If her face is anything other than a big beaming smile, tell her that it was a big joke and the wheels are for you really and that you've ordered the dress because you KNEW that was what she really wanted.
    Be careful though. If you do this the wrong way round, you may end up with the dress. Are you both the same size?
  • Rich158
    Get the dress, and sneak the wheels in whilst she's trying on her new designer frock. :wink:

Revised FCN - 2
  • :shock: :shock: wow dress's are expensive

...where as spending that much on wheels are a bargain :D:D
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    gert_lush wrote:
    :shock: :shock: wow dress's are expensive

...where as spending that much on wheels are a bargain :D:D

That's the exact opposite of how women see it. That's why they are from Venus (and men live on this planet :wink: ).
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Rich158
    Bike components all look the same and are ridiculously expensive according to my wife, I feel the same way about shoes so we have an understanding. She never asks how much the new wheels cost, and I never ask about shoes.

Blissfull ignorance - the cornerstone of a happy marriage :wink:

Revised FCN - 2

Hey LiT, you can still get your foot in your mouth, even with that cast on! :D

Flexible.

Hey LiT, you can still get your foot in your mouth, even with that cast on! :D

Flexible.

I am, actually, thanks for noticing.

And I stand by my opinion of that spangly lycra horror-show...
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    Yes I agree its disgusting.. :P But buy it for her anyway cos then you'll have sooo much ammunition for getting your own way over the next few months.
  • AndyOgy
    moonio wrote:
    Yes I agree its disgusting.. :P But buy it for her anyway cos then you'll have sooo much ammunition for getting your own way over the next few months.

Am I the only one who actually thinks that it's quite a nice dress?
  • AndyOgy wrote:
    moonio wrote:

I think, as with all dresses, it depends almost entirely on what is in it. :?
  • tardington
    AndyOgy wrote:
    moonio wrote:

I think, as with all dresses, it depends almost entirely on what is in it. :?

Well, my gf is a slightly slimmer, blonde version of Nigella... 8)

Well anyway she seems to have changed her mind about the dress! Good thing I didn't buy it immediately... But at christmas she 'loooved' a top I ended up taking back. I took her to a fancy Shop of Girl Things ( www.athomer.co.uk ) and crippled my wallet. Also we having a weekend away for her birthday.

I may get her a new saddle for her (not used very often) bike, and visit the nice people at www.minx-girl.com for a few bits and bobs.

Goodbye wheels :shock:
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    Never buy women clothes without them - they feign delight, wear it once and then consign it to the back of the wardrobe. You may as well as clean your chain with tenners....

Arrange for her to go out with one of her shopping mates then give her £250 to buy herself a new outfit she genuinely likes and she can have lunch out as well.

Gives you plenty of time to go out on a long guilt free ride to test the new wheels ;) - and she'll enjoy shopping more without you getting progressively more bored with each shop you go in.

If you're really lucky she may show her appreciation for your thoughfulness when she gets home...
  • I was getting worried there - I thought the post was for the whole outfit, shoes at 325, bag at a monkey or so and the earings at 8.5 large :shock: - I thought you could have done a deal on the earings and got the bike as well.

Like LiTs I thought the dress was a bit iffy, but on the right woman, oh yes!!!

Anyway - heart rate now under 180 again.................The 250 quid and go buy it yourself, miserable but pragmatic..I wholeheartedly approve.
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8