Ortlieb Back Roller Classic Panniers

richard36
richard36 Posts: 346
edited January 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi

I'm planning to do a tour of Scotland. I'll be staying mostly in B & B's for this trip but on subsequent tours would plan on taking a tent, sleeping bag etc. Therefore whilst I won't be taking that much stuff on my Scotland trip I would like to buy some panniers that I can use in the future. I've never had panniers before and was thinking about the Ortlieb Back Roller Classics. I note they are 20 litres per bag. Is 40 litres normally enough space for a 2 week trip carrying several sets of clothes, camping stuff etc. or should I go for something larger to be on the safe side, and if so what?

Also what rack would you recommend for about £30 - 40?

I'll be fitting the panniers and rack to a mtb as opposed to a roadbike

Thanks

Richard

Comments

• FAT_ROB
    FAT_ROB Posts: 116
    Hi

I'm afraid I can't really recommend a rack, I use a Thorn Expedition rear rack and low loaders, mainly because I couldn't be mithered shopping around and partly becasue the Blackburn one looked crap. The advantage of the Thorn rack is that it is a bit longer than most I have seen (which aint many) so if you struggle with foot clearance a definate bonus.

As for Panniers, I opted for Ortlib back pannier Plus (think thats right) the quality is superb, there are some nice touches like the outer 'drying' pocket and lock quickly and easily to the frame. They are so far touch wood 100% waterproof too. Im sure there are other good panniers out there but my thought is why risk it?

As for size, its an open ended question. How much stuff do you want to take? Can you live in one pair of pants for two weeks, and do you want to carry food with you?

My advice would be to lay it all out and have a look at what you need. I guess everyones different and venue/weather will also play a massive role.
    Never knowingly past a pie shop!

Spec Pitch

Spec Tarmac

Thorn Raven Tourer (with Roholf Hub gears)
  • Fat Rob

Thanks for your reply

I would try and take as little as possible but having not seen the Ortlieb panniers it's difficult to say whether 40 litres would be sufficient. 40 litres seems to be a popular size so I suppose most people manage with this size of pannier.

I appreciate that it does depend on what I want to take but what I was wondering is whether most people who do tour manage with this size of pannier.

Thanks again

Richard
  • FAT_ROB
    FAT_ROB Posts: 116
    Richard

I would certainly say you would manage with that size of pannier, The Ortlieb ones are very roomy, mine swallow everything I throw at them.

The only danger with them I find is I tend to Pack to fit them, meaning that I usually take more than I need. Not really a problem, just an observation.

I think this is one of those questions personally that can't ever be answered.

good luck

Rob
    Never knowingly past a pie shop!

Spec Pitch

Spec Tarmac

Thorn Raven Tourer (with Roholf Hub gears)
  • julk
    julk Posts: 55
    I cycle camp using 2 panniers on a rear rack and 2 panniers on a front low rider rack, I also strap the tent onto the top of the rear rack. The bike rides better with the weight spread round with about 40% at the front and 60% at the rear.

I think you will need more than 2 panniers if you like comfort and are going to cook your own food. To manage cycle camping with 2 panniers you will have to reduce your gear to the absolute minimum and eat out where possible.

Alloy racks, Blackburn etc., work very well and are reasonably priced. If you are thinking of buying for the long term it may be better to invest in the steel Tubus or Thorn racks.

Does your mountain bike have the braze-ons necessary to fasten the racks to? Do you have suspension forks fitted? Does your bike have long chain stays, i.e. is there a good sized gap between the seat tube and the rear wheel?

Try a weekend camping somewhere near to home. Pack what you think you need and give it a go with 2 panniers. You will probably be surprised with what you took that you did not need, and also what you would have liked to have to hand. Try another time in the rain!

You cannot go wrong with any of the quality brand panniers. You may have to buy 2 more, but so what, the first 2 at 20 litres each will still be usable on the front or rear.
  • Fat Rob and Julk

Thanks for your replies.

Regards

Richard
  • Gadge
    Gadge Posts: 135
    Richard

I have the back roller classics and they are excellent IMHO. I have used only one for the last two or three years to commute and the only problem that I have had in all that time has been the plastic load spreader thingy on the shoulder strap breaking.

Being able to quickly attach and use a shoulder strap is very handy when off the bike as is having the option to leave the roll down top open, making loads more space ior leave room for a bagette or two to stand proud..

I normally carry basic tools/tubes, lightweight waterproof jacket and leggings, that days shirt, pants and socks and still have room left for other occasional items and still be able to roll down the top.,

20litres is roughly a heavy overcoat rolled up so not masses of room but don't forget that you can also strap some items on the top of the rack eg tent/sleeping bag.

Giving thought to how to stay light on everything e.g. microfibre trousers instead of heavy jeans and travel towel etc will pay dividends on packing size needed if touring.
    I have heard that you should pack two 20L rear panniers as heavy as possible then re pack all into front and rear panniers for the best riding load stability but not tried it myself.

I also use the Thorn exped rack which was not especially easy to fit but has been great since. You can also fit a cateye or similar rear light on the back of this rack which is very practical.

Gadge
    2 week trip carrying several sets of clothes

Several sets?

Invest in some travelwash.

A set of 2x20 panniers, together with a bar bag or backpack, should be enough even to carry camping and cooking equipment ('tho not necessarily food). Remember you can bungee the tent to the top of the rack.

I'd second the recommendation for a decent Tubus rack.
  • I'm using 2 x bikebins on the back ( http://www.bikebins.com ) which I'm totally happy with. on top of this I have my homemade bodgejob wire-thingy from a freezer shelf that holds my tent and sleepingbag plus camp mat held down with a couple of bungies.

I use altura panniers on the front which work really well also and have two alu racks thats I got from some swiss company and work ever so ever so well, I'd go as far as saying they are super-duper.

My bikes a thorn Nomad and has braze-ons etc for lowrider panniers at the front but I find the clearance they give me with grass verges etc isnt good enough so don't use them. Plus I just find the weight on the front easier with the bags up higher.

I tend to now take 1 big campgaz resealable with a pack it up small stove, a few hexi blox and a hexi stove as emergency and I'm now taking a trangia bottle with meths in and a very small packable stove with meths burner which I'm looking forward to using on my next travels.

I guess the best advice is just to get what you think is best at the time and find out on a few small journeys before you go off on a biggy. In the back end of knowhere your camp gear comes well in handy but when your going thru towns etc you can grab a bite to eat all over the place and I've found I tend to eat more that way and then eat the dry stuff with a few fresh bits bought thruout the day in the evening once Im camped up.

have fun mate :)
    'since the flaming telly's been taken away, we don't even know if the Queen of Englands gone off with the dustman'.
    Lizzie Birdsworth, Episode 64, Prisoner Cell Block H.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I have Ortlieb back rollers, front rollers and a bar bag. I only used the front rollers once for a three week tour across Europe and I could have done without them. In my experience, two back rollers, a bar bag and a bit of self-discipline in the packing department is enough for any tour in civilised terrain.

As for racks, I think mine is a Bor Ueh (or something like that, can't be bothered to go down and look). It came with the bike and it has been fine over several thousand loaded miles. I bent it some years ago when I dropped the fully laden bike in a hurry, but it still shows no sign of failing (famous last words!). What I like about it is that it has a rear light mounting under the rack, which leaves the rest of the area behind the seat available for tent, evening meal shopping and a seatwedge full of tools.

My touring companions have similar set-ups with Vaude and Altura. They would speak as highly of theirs as I do of mine, I suspect. As long as it is waterproof, of flexible capacity, easy to close up and mount, there is not much more you can ask of a pannier.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• go for the ortleibs regardless, they are THE best no argument. i have had mine for 6 months of hard, dirty off road commuting, and they look good as new, they keep everything completelty dry and warm!
    Carbon fibre, it's all nonsense. Drink beer. Ride a steel bike. Don't be a ponce.
  • go for the ortleibs regardless, they are THE best no argument. i have had mine for 6 months of hard, dirty off road commuting, and they look good as new, they keep everything completelty dry and warm!
    Carbon fibre, it's all nonsense. Drink beer. Ride a steel bike. Don't be a ponce.
  • Hi - last summer I used Ortlieb Front and Back Roller Plus panniers (with an Ortleib ultimate 5 plus bar bag) on my ride across Australia, and on my training rides around the Exmoor area here in England. They are excellent. Not a single problem with them. Very easy to fit and remove and use. Totally waterproof, and yet none of the contents seemed to sweat. Being roller top bags they are very flexible to expand and contract to take various loads. I also used an Orlieb rack pack bag (small) across the top of the rear panniers for all of my camping gear. I felt I needed all that packing space because I was carrying spares, tools, food, water etc. If you are interested, see photos etc on my website www.riscombe.co.uk/cycleride08 . The racks came with my Dawes Kara-Kum and were fine ... I don't know what make they are.
    Cheers,
    Brian
  • Sorry, in my recent post I put an incomplete link, so for any of you who are interested it should have been www.riscombe.co.uk/cycleride08.htm
    Brian
  • they are brilliant panniers and i don't know how they measure these capacities but 20 litres of ortlieb pannier seems to be no smaller than 25 litres of carradice super c. you may find nominally bigger panniers but you can be sure the ortlieb won't break. and it's sod's law if things are going to break then it will be on tour