Off road tyre pressures

XxxBFGxxX
XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
edited December 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hello chaps

could any one tell me what is the best pressure to run in my tyres while riding of road.

my front is 2.4 and the rear is 2.2 i am 23 stone dont know if ya need this info or if there is just a genarel pressure that works well. i normaly run 60 psi fornt and rear when i rdie on road and this dont work of road lmfao it seems to slide a little dont know why lmfao.

cheers chaps

Comments

• Mattbot2
    Mattbot2 Posts: 384
    I heard that 40 - 45 is good for off road.
    2q2kfno.png
    ^^^ Click for pictures of my bike ^^
  • Personally my rigid bike runs off road on tubless tyres around 23-30psi front and back

And my hardtail bikes (all with innertubes) ride off road with no more than 37 - 40psi to avoid pinch flats.

Off road the tyre works better at the lower pressures making it more grippy and pliable.

Are you riding a full susser or a hardtail? As you could risk lower pressures in a full susser tyre as you wouldn't get as many pinch flats.
  • mtbikerboy
    mtbikerboy Posts: 325
    edited December 2008
    Off road i try and run the lowest possible pressure without too much risk of pinch flat. The actual pressure will vary dependant on the tyre, rider weight, terrain. i also try and keep the back tyre a little higher in pressure than the front- for less rolling resistance since even if the back loses grip and begins to slide out, that is easier to control than the front losing it. However, on slower technical accents (esp when rooted and wet), i sometimes run the back tyre as low as the front since the extra grip is very helpful.

Just experiment and find what you like. Sorry cant give actual pressures as i dont have a tyre pressure guage.
  • XxxBFGxxX
    i hav a hard tail chaps.

cheers for the advise i will try and play next time we go out riding of road.
  • XxxBFGxxX wrote:
    i hav a hard tail chaps.

cheers for the advise i will try and play next time we go out riding of road.

If you have a hardtail make sure you always carry 2 spare inner tubes if your not running tubless until your happy with your pressures.
  • XxxBFGxxX
    i know that one mate i am a dab hand at fixing punctures lmfao