How do you bunnyhop????

WorvzBox
WorvzBox Posts: 119
edited December 2008 in MTB beginners
I've got a Gt Avalanche 2.0 2008 and I can pull wheelies on my bike but I can't do a bunnyhop..............I want some help and instructions how to do this.

Cheers Tom

Comments

• go onto videos on this site and onto ride technique and there is a video on it that is very helpful, i looked at it but i still can't, have a look it might help

Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Get copy of a DVD called "(Dirty) Tricks & (Cunning) Stunts" (or just "Tricks and Stunts") - it's a bit dated now but the techniques are still the same, and it's a bit of a giggle too.

Some good explanations of how to bunny hop from Hans Rey and some excellent slo-mo footage too.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • I learned using toe clips, from there the weight distribution is pretty similar, some good trainers and pedals always help with confidence too.
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • WorvzBox
    The thing is though I have looked at that video before, with Doddy on it, and it does work on a jump bike, but on a cross country bike it is alot harder as the bioke is alot heavier and isn't as easy to get off the ground, does anyone have the same problem or solution?
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    2.5 months ago I asked the same question, and a few nice guys helped me work out the theory.

Here: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=advanced

Using the right technique (american bunnyhop), now I can bunnyhop as high as by lifting the both wheels together, but that's for now, more height next summer. :D
  • brownix
    brownix Posts: 115
    the way i do it is....

compress the forks (by pushing down), then pull up the front with power and kind of lean forward when the front gets high,
    it gets me in the air!
  • if you notice on that video for that american bunnyhop he still uses most of the techniques that doddy uses, like kicking back on his pedals to help him lift the rear wheel up, moving your weight forward is helpful though, try hitting a speed bump and applying the same theory, just harder to do it without the speed bump

Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    Pop a whellie and when the front of bike is in mid air,push down hard while pushing back and up on you pedals....or get a pair of SPD'S :lol:
  • WorvzBox
    I got some spd's, do i just need to literally 'jump on the bike' then?
  • yes you can just jump up when clipped in but it doesnt get the same height or the same movement. imo its better to do the same techinique as with flat pedals and spds.
    manual then bring up the backend with your feet pressed against the pedals..
  • its definitely better to learn it using a hardtail with flat pedals because the hardtail makes it easier to do and the flat pedals encourage good technique, a spud hop (bunnyhopping by jumping up with spd's) on is generally bad practice, it will get you out of a sticky situation if you have little speed but its better to learn properly because you can also bunnyhop a lot higher using the proper technique than if you jump just using spd's

Yukon Lad

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • I can hop my bmx like 2/3 foot but thats because my seat is at its lowest, i do find it much harder to hop my 'proper' bike though, because of the saddle being so high.
  • ye, i might find my current trail bike which is a bit big rather painful on standover height, it has a kinked downtube so i might be alright but if i land furhter up then it will be rather painful

Yukon Lad

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • jadamson
    jadamson Posts: 644
    just get out there and practice put objects in your way and go for it.
  • when they say tilt your pedals as you kick back to help lift the rear wheel does that literally mean just tilt your pedals and kick out backwards, or is it something more complicated or subtle?

Yukon Lad

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • jadamson
    jadamson Posts: 644
    no its best to practice with back break on and you standing up like doddy does and just hook your foot and practice bringing it up, its simple realy no hidden way.
  • thanks, will try that but on grass cos when i've tried to get the hang of manuals i've fallen off twice onto my cocyx which is very painful and every time i put the back brake on it just throws the front wheel back down.

Thanks, Yukon Lad

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • brownix wrote:
    the way i do it is....

compress the forks (by pushing down), then pull up the front with power and kind of lean forward when the front gets high,
    it gets me in the air!

Bad technique, (the compression bit) could end up hurting yourself, not to mention its the gay way to do it! Sorry i havnt added much input, but i added it to extreems topic i think, look it up, i think its the one up the page. Have a look,

Max