What protection do people use?

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited December 2008 in MTB buying advice
looking at pads but i hate the biiigggg cumbersome things you see on the net.

I'm looking at stuff like the kyle strait pads but i'm not sure.

I would like something to protect my shins more, but as said, dont want bulk/heavey/hot stuff.

Want some elbow pads, light and moveable..

As for body armour...i dont want it. I've tried my bro's on and its not very comfortable, its not going to stop a broken collar bone, maybe just prevent a few bruises, possibly a broken rib? is there any lighter alternative to the full on body armour?

What piss pot helmet? i can't live with a full face, i've tried a few on but they're all way too bulky and hot....did i mention they're HOT?

B

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Protection, for what riding?

All protection is a compromise between weight, protection & sweatiness.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Sorry forgot to say, literally i'm stuck in the middle...trails, freeride and DH :(

Anybody use anything like This
  • Deuter make some hydration packs with back armour built it. They're going cheap on the MBR website at the min.
  • yep, but them backpacks got a bad review, i've got 661 descend gloves which i found out are brilliant when i went over the bars and i'm looking at a par of 661 racelite knee/shin pads does anyone know what they're loke, they felt pretty good in the shop and seem to be quite secure

Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Can't recommend RaceFace Rally FR pads enough, both the knee/shin and forearm/elbow combos.

No kidding, you can wear them for all day trail riding and forget they're there - and I certainly wouldn't ride a trail centre without them. Even though they're hard-shell armour, they don't feel bulky at all. They're a bit sweaty in summer, but I'd rather be sweaty than taking a trip to A&E.

I've just invested in a full-face lid for some of the gnarlier stuff that I ride, but it will be coming off on the climbs, without a shadow of a doubt.

I don't know how old you are, but I'm finding that the older I get, the less that I bounce so decent protection is pretty important for me. I'm also old enough not to care what I look like or what anybody else thinks...
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    mates / durex or just tie my legs to the head board....
  • Mattbot2
    Mattbot2 Posts: 384
    Durex always worked for me ;)
    2q2kfno.png
    ^^^ Click for pictures of my bike ^^
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    As Andy says it's all a compromise. I've got a pair of Kyle Strait knee pads which are great, comfortable and stay in place (but don't protect the shin much) and I've got a pair of 661 chicken wings on the way from CRC for the elbows.

The way I look at is that I don't ride as hard as some and don't often come off but in the event I do get it wrong (as I have done before, just been lucky enough to land on something soft up to now, I'm so going to regret saying that :roll: ) I want to protect my most vunerable bits, head and joints. For me it's a bit psychological as well, wearing a helmet is a no brainer (well hopefully not literally) but I'm still a bit self concious about pads, the softer ones don't seem quite that overkill compared to some of the hard ones. That said I've just ordered my first set of flat pedals for trail centre use so who knows? A & E here I come :oops: .
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    I just ride with a helmet :roll:

well maybe if i know its going to be a very tight trail or very very cold (takes a lot to make me bust these fella's out) then i will take along my 661 knee and shin guards
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • i use a 661 full comp helmet and these

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=24928

they are very good,they dont effect your pedalling power and they are also light
  • stevet1992 wrote:
    I just ride with a helmet :roll:

I use durex to protect my helmet :lol: and a durex heat for added fun
    A mouthfull of mud, i guess ive crashed

Giant xtc se
    Trek 1.2compact
  • Can't beat 661 - for me perfect compromise between protection and nuisance!!
  • I can recommend Kyle Straits, they're alot more comfotable than my knee & shins for sure.

For xc I sometimes I use ,http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=16291
    - very thin, very light, but padded on the front - WIll easily stop me braking my ribs yet again (and has done more than once)
    Then a back protector could be worn with that also and some elbow pads:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=7090
    So basically full body armour just a fraction of the weight, more comfortable and better for trails.
    - I have those exact elbow pads and they can be abit rough on bare skin, but if worn correctly over the elbow and done up correctly they're fine.

Kyle straights on ebay, much cheaper than CRC
    http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/?_nkw=knee ... &_osacat=0
  • For xc I sometimes I use ,http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=16291
    - very thin, very light, but padded on the front - WIll easily stop me braking my ribs yet again (and has done more than once)

link doesnt work :?
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • tombate911
    tombate911 Posts: 1,590
    661 race lite knee and shin pads are brilliant, saved me hell of a lot of times, also using 661 arm pads as well i always forget i have got these on even on 5 or so hour rides like today, :D