BIKE SIZING

mobilis
mobilis Posts: 65
edited December 2008 in Road beginners
My height is 5,5 or 166cm(INSEAM 75CM). According to my research the correct effective top tube length for me is about 52,5cm or 20,6".

I need help needed for choosing the right frame on a Bianchi C2C Nirone 7 road bike. Bianchi has this exact effective top tube length(52,5) on size 50. The basic formula BIKE FRAME SIZE (in cm) = Inseam (cm) x .67 also fits for me when applied on size 50.
Stem length for this bike is unknown.
I know that the correct way is to test the bike.
However please give me a responsible opinion based on the above facts, possibly from someone with the same measurements.

Comments

• I know this isn't what you will want to hear but you really need to try a few as the angles also make a difference as do stem length.
  • Stem length is 9cm.
    Ιs top tube lenght of 52,5cm acceptable for a 166cm rider?
  • Please just give me an opinion based only on these three numbers:

Height: 166cm (5,5'')
    Top tube: 52,5cm
    Stem: 9 cm
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    It sounds a touch too big to me, there is no universal sizing system, because there are too many variables. You can be 5'5" with long legs, or 5'5" with a long torso.

I would say go a size smaller, and if it's too small, get a longer stem. If the 52.5 is too big, you'll struggle to find a much smaller stem.
    6288 Posts: 131
    i'm 5ft 6 with a 29 inch inseem and i ride a 50cm centre-to-top equivelant frame (cannondale)

if i were any shorter (or racing) i'd deffo go with a 48cm and make up the diff. on stem, spacers, saddle height etc ... you will get far more options ...

and from personal experience try and use a longer stem ... i use a 110mm on mine and the handling is far improved over even a 100mm ... i used to ride a 90mm on a 52cm frame and handling on a downhill is just awful ...
  • http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO

Should give you a ballpark idea of what to get, but is inferior to physically testing out a preferred bike in different sizes in the shop!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Ok, here goes.

I am 5'6 or 168 cm to you.

My inside leg is iro 30 inch. My legs are average but my top obdy is a little short. If for example I wear jeans, a short leg is usually too short but many maufacturers regulars can be a little too long. In a suit jacket, I am a short, but would more likely get regular trousers.

I have a Bianchi alu Nirone alu 7, which is a 2008 model. It is a 50com frame size. Its great for me. On the drops, possibly a tiny bit compact, but generally fine. The next size up for me, the 53, meant my reach to the bars was over extended to the point of uncomforable and a little out of control.

I would say try a bike out. I did try a few, and every 53 cm bike was too big, ie too long in the top tube, rather than being too high in the seat tube.

I suspect if your modestly proportioned, and particularly if your arms are a tiny bit shorter than you'd like (do you find many modern shirts are too long in the cuff, and are better off with a tailored solution) then you'll probably be fine on a 50.

Remember, its not stand over height thats the issue really, as seats go up and down. Its the reach forwards thats important to get right.
    Bianchi c2c Alu Nirone 7 Xenon (2007) Road
    Orange P7 (1999) Road
    Diamond Back Snr Pro (1983) BMX
    Diamond BackSIlver Streak (1983) BMX

Oh, and BMX is the *ultimate* single speed.
  • Neil.b
    Neil.b Posts: 35
    Hi, I am looking at getting a road bike after riding (and loving) my friends Raliegh Airlight 400 earlyer today, I am 6ft so roughly what size frame should I be looking at?
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    Neil, just giving us your height is completely and utterly useless. Use the link that NitrousOxide has posted and put your measurements in. That will tell you the dimensions of the "perfect" frame...... at least the rough dimensions you should be starting with.
  • Neil.b
    Neil.b Posts: 35
    Sorry, I was being a bit dumb last night and missed that link altogether :lol:

Thanks for putting me straight :)
  • Juju_uk_68 wrote:
    I have a Bianchi alu Nirone alu 7, which is a 2008 model.

What's the stem lenght on size 50?