Orange 5 - Brakes / Forks

scoob113
scoob113 Posts: 80
edited December 2008 in MTB buying advice
If you were going to get an Orange 5 Pro, and you had a choice of brakes, would you take the standard Hope Tech X2's?
Or would you opt for the Tech M4, Tech X2 Pro's or Tech V2 instead ? The latter three are all cost options, although the brakes themselves generally seem to not be that much more if you bought them stand-alone.
What would you get and why ?

And while I'm at it - choice of Fox 32 Float R or RLC, RLC gives you Low Speed Compression and Lockout control at expense of money, weight and more things to go wrong.

Tried a lot of Googling on this and got nowhere. All the brakes seem to just be "weight from nnn grams" rather than telling you what weight they are. And the forks I have no experience of one way or another.

Thoughts welcome.

Comments

• iloper
    iloper Posts: 13
    hi!

i can only help you with the fork. The RLC model is just the more expensive one. Most of the time you wont miss those features... :wink:
    Orange P2 Custom
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Forks, go for the RLC (I have the Float R, couldn't afford the RLC) as you will have a much more adjustable fork and the compression can dial out the little bit of brake dive you sometimes get. There's not that much weight difference between the forks to be noticeable anyway.

My Float R's (had 2 pairs, 1st set were nicked a few months ago) have performed flawlessly, without any servicing.

Brakes, MBUK tested the Hope Tech X2 and loved them. I know 2 users of them and they love 'em too.

I have the '07 mono mini's and they're damn good brakes.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll go look out the X2 review - it's in one of my old mags and on the Net too.
    Forks, back to balance between extra function vs extra money/things to go wrong. Hmm.
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    I have the Mono 4's and better for braking on descents
    But a dam good brake, But if your going to do a lot of
    descents it may be better to add floating rotors too.
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    RE: forks. I've got an 08 Float R...

How much do you weigh and how often do you climb standing up? If you're light (< 70kg) you'll experience next to no brake dive and if you climb mostly seated you won't need lockout on them.
  • Hi there - thanks.

I'm 70kg complete with bike kit, that's a really useful tip. I hardly ever stand climbing - occasionally when slow out of uphill corners if I haven't got the gears right, or sometimes just covering 100 yards to the next bit of downhill at Glen Tress with saddle down. Generally go round the Red there seated on the uphills though.

Everything is pointing to sticking with the Float R at the moment. Talked to one of the guys at Glen Tress today, so looks pretty much like the Float R, and I've now seen the Tech X2's in real life on a '5' too, so reckon I'll stick with them aswell.

Thanks for all the tips all.
  • shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    Float Rs and the biggest brakes you can afford
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    180mm front/160mm rear gives plenty of braking power for 90% of riders 90% of the time

I weigh roughly the same as Scoobmw & have never needed more than 180mm rotors up front

Float R's are good, but after 2 pairs I'd recommend the RLC as you can dial out the drake dive you sometimes get with the Float R forks.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg