i'm tempted to get a road bike

R34PER
R34PER Posts: 193
edited January 2009 in Commuting chat
in my old job (just been made redundant) i had a quite varied commute of around 10miles each way which i used to mix up with rides through the woods, towpaths and roads on my mtb commuter. I have been looking around for work and there sems to be plenty of work within about 20miles but the commute will then be pretty much all road and i'm just wondering if a road bike would be the best option. then there is the whole tourer or race machine, oh and most importantly budget :? especially with a current income of zero i could probably afford around £100-£150 but at the same time i wouldnt want a heap of crap. i have had a look round ebay but except for the ultra budget bikes (i'm not sure on quality) i dont see many fall into my price range.
advice please.

Comments

• old racers on ebay can be dirt cheap, and 20 miles would be fine. though probably taking about old steel and downtube shifters.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Cyclocross then you can chose what route on or off road as the mood takes you :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • R34PER
    old racers on ebay can be dirt cheap, and 20 miles would be fine. though probably taking about old steel and downtube shifters.

i never seem to find any in my area though and the postage normally adds another £30+ on. i think i'll have to keep searching. new commute would be about 20miles each way or there abouts. i suppose the other alternative is bike-train-bike and i could spend new bike money on a train pass :?
  • For that price you are looking at something from Decathlon
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/sport-1-42393917/

or as previously mentioned, a used bike off ebay.
  • R34PER
    i had a quick look in the local decathlon over christmas and there didnt seem to be much in really. i might post an ad on here and see what that brings. i'm currently bidding on a couple on ebay but they have both reached my max budget with some time to spare so i doubt i'll win them.
  • Tranced
    Tranced Posts: 165
    Are you looking for a tool or a prize winner?
    I picked up a 2yr old Halfords Virtuoso for £60 as a road trainer for winter. Condition was shocking, but good clean later & new wheel axle/ bearings later & I've done about 1500 miles on it in the last 6 months. i.e. it does the job albeit with rattles.
    If it's just to get to work & back then look in the local classifieds and save the loot towards something better (event worthy) later.
    BTW, I've been doing events on my old rattler & having a blast.
    Embrace cynicism…. see the bigger picture!!!!
  • R34PER
    i have looked at a couple of These but i havent a clue weather it would be a good lasting bike or just a cheap bit of crap that will constantly break :?

Tranced wrote:
    Are you looking for a tool or a prize winner?

well i would like to get lucky and pick up the worlds best bargain but realistically i just want something that i dont need to get a load of new parts for straight away.
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    have you checked your local gumtree thing?

Hold on...
    http://birmingham.gumtree.com/birmingha ... 417_1.html
    Though the only one on there seems to be a mtb...
  • get a hybrib - well cool - better than road bike - road bike are for racing - if you mainly commuting get commute (hybrid) bike. Would you use a Formula One car for sand dune buggy racing I think not.

Alternativly there is the option of just stinking some skinnies or your MTB rims so its almost like a road or hybrid.
  • Spitchips wrote:
    get a hybrib - well cool - better than road bike - road bike are for racing - if you mainly commuting get commute (hybrid) bike. Would you use a Formula One car for sand dune buggy racing I think not.

Alternativly there is the option of just stinking some skinnies or your MTB rims so its almost like a road or hybrid.

Spitchips, I thought you were the wayne rooney of cycling? You're letting me down, you're letting yourself down, you're letting us all down.

A road bike is so called because it's the best option for riding on the road. A hybrid is nothing but a compromise for pansies who need to MTFU and get a road bike.
  • wayne rooney of cycling

Would that be potato faced chav cyclist unable to string a few words into a sentence? :D
  • linoue wrote:
    wayne rooney of cycling

Would that be potato faced chav cyclist unable to string a few words into a sentence? :D

hey, i heard that.

In my humble opinion, LIT road bikes are basically racing bikes with drop handle bars. They are used by racers. They are designed and setup for racing. The brakea are set up so you can use them when craoched aover the handlebars and in very streamlined position.

When communting, you are having to stop and start for traffic lights, zebra crossings, traffic, pedeastrians, road works and more. A hybrid has an upright riding position which is excellent for commuting. The brakes are in the right place, so if you are riding upright on a road bike and need to suddenly slam onm the brakes you dont have too switch from upright postion to racing position to apply brakes - that is valubale seconds which could cost yo your life.

Also men can get testicular issues riding mountain bikes and road bikes for commuting because they dont offer the correct riding position. Just like you would not wear football boots to do ballerina in - differernt bikes designed for different jobs.

So I am sorry, LIT but that is were your arguement falls to the ground.

All this expert, wayne Rooney of cycling talk is beginniong to cost you some serious sterling. You better get the cheque book out.
  • ''i have looked at a couple of These but i havent a clue weather it would be a good lasting bike or just a cheap bit of crap that will constantly break''

Did you have a look through the seller's feedback?

It doesn't sound very good..
    A few complaints about something breaking on the first outing, bent forks and no build instructions.. But for that price you wouldn't expect much better..

I'd stay clear of this bike.

I think if i was you i'd focus on a new job first, because as you say the work is within 20 miles, so you may find something similar to your old commute and will then know how to spend your money best.
  • P.s. Good luck on the search for a new job, and bike if you should need one!
  • Indeed, I think Spitchips is a bit wide of the mark with his allegations against why you shouldn't use a road bike on the road........

I've been using a road bike for my commute for over 2 years now and I've never had any problems. Once I got used to riding on the hoods I had no problem applying the brakes from up there so don't need to switch down to the drops to apply them. It got even easier once I got the new road bike as the brakes are even more efficient and operate a lot smoother, requiring less power to pull them on!

As for these testicular problems I can certainly say (having 5 children) that this certainly hasn't been a problem for me ;-) Surely the choice of saddle rather then the riding position would have more of a bearing on it? On the occasions where I had to use the wife's hybrid (unisex) for the commute it felt rather odd. Even after swapping over the saddle and re-adjusting everything it just didn't feel right, I suppose mostly because I became so used to riding the roadie :-)

Of course there are plenty of advantages of having a road bike over a hybrid, not least they are generally faster (geared better) and the drop handlebars offer different riding positions so you can pick and chose the most comfortable/efficient position at any given time - I can tell you riding into a vicious headwind on the hybrid, whilst trying to maintain a tuck wasn't fun but would have been easily achieved on the road bike.
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Spitchips wrote:
    get a hybrib - well cool - better than road bike - road bike are for racing

Nope, hybrids are ghey, only really appropriate if you are a pensioner. Road bikes are for riding on the road, and hybrids are for chucking in the bin.

Road bikes are without a doubt the best thing for commuting on the road.

If they are only meant for racing - why do they use them for Touring?

okay, then why do mothers take their kids to school in off-road 4x4s?

why do people where vibram shoes in the town centre?

why do people were new white trainers in wet and muddy conditions.

and why do girls were Ugg boats in summer?

and why do they wear summery shoes in the freezing cold winter nights and skimpy clothing when going out clubbing?

not everyone is practically minded.

just because the majority of people or people do something doesnot mean its right at all.

Personally, fo me if I am going to commute to town, either taking shortcuts or scenic routes along canal paths, public footpaths, bridleways and gravel paths and everything excpet tarmac hybrids are excellent. You cant do that on a road bike, you are limited to boring roads and stuck in the fumes and navigating 7.5t lorries, buses and more. sounds real nice. Mine is top of the range and npt yor typical naff hybrid. If am going to go off .

In my opinion if I was going to do the London to Brighton cycle ride then yes a road bike comes into play. If i am going to do down hill mountain biking I will use a mountain bike.

If i am commuting around then I will use a hybrid. Hybrid are designed for that use.

There has been reports that if people use mountain bikes and road bikes for general town use because of the riding position it can cause havoc with male sperm count. A hybrid doesnot have that issue.

If you want to ride with road bike, that is your choice. personally i have tried using road bikes and mountain bikes for riding around my town but was not happy with either the weight or bumpy rides so opted for a hybrid this year and I must say i am very happy with my purchase and have such put a deposit down for another one!

Just because you have not seen the light does not mean I have to live in a dark cave with you.

the majority of people i see on road bikes hardly ever use the drop handle bars anyway for commuitng, they always ride it like a flat bar. When i rode my road bike for communting i hardly ever used the drop bars either, the ride was bumpy, the brakes in wrong place, always got flat tyres because of ultra skinny tyres and the hunch over position was not doing justice to my back.

if you want to ride a bike which is not designed or equipped for riding from home to work or were ever you go on that thing fair enough. Me I am the sort of person who will use a sand dune buggy for the sand dunes and a rally car for raaly racing etc.

What sort of boots would you use if you wre playing for the england football team - walking boots? astro turf trainers? gothic metal and leather boots,? football boots?

Anyone who wanted to stay in the team and do well on the pitch would purchase thje boots designed for the job - football boots. I apply formula to my life and i must say I am very happy with my progress and experiences.

I admit when I was in my teens and twenties I would not dream of owning a hybrid. It was uncool but with my practical and mature outlook I am looking for bikes from a different angle. Hence, my new found love for hybrids.

Have you even seen the 2008 or 2009 Boardman Performance Hybrid PRo bikes? Go to Halfords and have a look or look at them online. they are not uncool but rduced sperm count is (but that is not the reason I brought one)

reddragon your mentaility is child like and under developed. Let me use football boots as an exmaple. David BEckham, Wayne Rooney, all the pro footballers buy the best football boots to play football in, with thay the can become the best at football. if they wore hiving boots to play football in a take that crucial penalty kick in the world cup finals or even walked onto the pitch with anything but football boots he would be laughed off the pitch! He would be nominatd clown of the year.

So how can you then slate people who but the best bikes for bombing around their local town and doing 50mile bike rides or something. If anything we should be laughing you off the tarmac in those bikes which are designed for things like Toure dE France - why is that what you do to get to work every morning?
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    Spitchips wrote:
    Personally, fo me if I am going to commute to town, either taking shortcuts or scenic routes along canal paths, public footpaths, bridleways and gravel paths and everything excpet tarmac hybrids are excellent. You cant do that on a road bike, you are limited to boring roads and stuck in the fumes and navigating 7.5t lorries, buses and more. sounds real nice. Mine is top of the range and npt yor typical naff hybrid. If am going to go off .

I admit when I was in my teens and twenties I would not dream of owning a hybrid. It was uncool but with my practical and mature outlook I am looking for bikes from a different angle. Hence, my new found love for hybrids.

I take my winter bike on canal towpaths, bridlepaths etc on our winter club runs quite regularly with no problem and my daily commute includes a couple of lumpy off road short cuts too - you don't need a hybrid and nobbly tyres for any of that you wuss

Hybrid = jack of all trades, master of none - and the increased sperm count from riding a hybrid instead of a road bike will be negated by the fact you'll look a complete ghey on it, Boardman decals or not

Exactly how "mature" are you? 70?
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    Spitchips wrote:

I take my winter bike on canal towpaths, bridlepaths etc on our winter club runs quite regularly with no problem and my daily commute includes a couple of lumpy off road short cuts too - you don't need a hybrid and nobbly tyres for any of that you wuss

Hybrid = jack of all trades, master of none - and the increased sperm count from riding a hybrid instead of a road bike will be negated by the fact you'll look a complete ghey on it, Boardman decals or not

Exactly how "mature" are you? 70?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    OK, if you can't take road bikes off perfectly tarmaced roads, why do they use Road bikes for Paris-Roubaix, Tour of Flanders, and Monte Paschi Eroica?

And a lot of my club runs seems to take a lot of cobbles, and rough off road paths, and my road bikes hold up fine.

If you want a bit more off road freedom get a cross bike.

Basically if you can't handle a road bike, get a hybrid, and I guessSpitchips you can't handle a road bike.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • anyway, the main difference basically between a hybrid and MTB with skinnies are very suttel and minute. people who ride mtb with skinnies are just too scared to take the plunge with hybrid, and Imust admit i had the bottel and have loved them ever since.

There is nothing wussy about me and my hybrid but you do have an attitude problem and need to exercise a little decorum and not get hasty.

is wayne rooney a wuss for wearing football boots to play football in - i think not - he has his head on the right way - he is geared up for success - unllike your outllook.

the same applies to people riding about town on PERFORMANCE HYBIRDS LIKE BOARDMAN PRO. The have the right bike for the right job - i am geared for success too.
  • You wear football boots to play football in.

You ride a road bike on the road

Perhaps you are the stupid one?

Well put......

Coming back to the OP question, I'm sure he stated that his new commute mean traveling entirely on ROAD, hence he thought "Well I'll consider getting a road bike"

As RD said there are plenty of road races out there that take the riders over a bit less then "perfectly smooth tarmac" heck I'm sure a quick search on youtube will find you a clip of lance armstrong taking his rather expensive road bike across a ploughed field going downhill! And he managed to stay upright :-)

I'd also be interested to see the proof of this neutral effect on the sperm count, maybe those riding road and MTB bikes have a lower count because they get more action ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Dude Football is ghey. I couldn't give a damn what footwear, the overpaid ponce traitor wears on his feet.

:lol::lol: Golden.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Oh dear, threads here so often seem to descend into...

Road | Cyclocross | Fixed | Mountain | < insert your preferred type> is coool and what you ride is gaaay"

Reminds me of that scene in Life of Brien where the People's Front of Judea go on about how they hate the Judean People's Front.

Anyway back to the original post, make sure you get a job first and then worry about the bike. If you get the job, you'll likely have a budget higher than £150 and your new employer might do the cycle to work scheme.
    If you get a £150 bike now, and it turns out your new job is 20 miles away, you'll probably have a very uncomfortable commute and end up spending lots on replacing parts.
  • spursn17
    spursn17 Posts: 284
    linoue wrote:
    Oh dear, threads here so often seem to descend into...

Road | Cyclocross | Fixed | Mountain | < insert your preferred type> is coool and what you ride is gaaay"

Reminds me of that scene in Life of Brien where the People's Front of Judea go on about how they hate the Judean People's Front.

Anyway back to the original post, make sure you get a job first and then worry about the bike. If you get the job, you'll likely have a budget higher than £150 and your new employer might do the cycle to work scheme.
    If you get a £150 bike now, and it turns out your new job is 20 miles away, you'll probably have a very uncomfortable commute and end up spending lots on replacing parts.

+1

It's getting a bit narrow minded on here lately. Make a choice based on what YOU want. Ignore bike snobbery.

I'm thinking about a flatbar myself, not decided yet though as I might get a dropbar. Back probs will decide the issue.
  • R34PER
    after many hours of internet browsing and finance checking i figure i can afford to spend a little more. i put some schwalbe tyres with a less knobbley bit in the middle (but still knobbley on the outside {SCR stealth}) on my mtb commuter and decided that i still fancy a road bike just for road rides when i fancy mixing it up a little. the only downside is that i will probably order from an online retailer so sizes could be an issue as i'm not really sure although i guess closeish can be tweaked with adjustments :? had a look at my lbs and they didnt have any in at the time(mainly mtb's) but its also cheaper online. also i want to keep away as there is a full sus mtb i like and i'm afraid i may pop in for a look and come home with it :shock: i also ruled out super cheap ebay specials as i was prone to snapping pedals clean off in my younger days due to my awesome power :wink: and that seems to be the main problem with them. so by saturday i should have made my final choice :D
    oh yeah, i figured my mtb commuter was close enough to a hybrid to rule them out. althugh i think some of them are pretty nice.
    oh, also brakes seem to be different these days on road bikes, what happened to the old dual lever jobbies that worked from the drops or the top bit? i always thought they were a good idea. i have also decided i will have a new job by the 12th at the latest. any longer and i would get bored.
    happy new year folks.
  • R34PER wrote:
    after many hours of internet browsing and finance checking i figure i can afford to spend a little more. i put some schwalbe tyres with a less knobbley bit in the middle (but still knobbley on the outside {SCR stealth}) on my mtb commuter and decided that i still fancy a road bike just for road rides when i fancy mixing it up a little. the only downside is that i will probably order from an online retailer so sizes could be an issue as i'm not really sure although i guess closeish can be tweaked with adjustments :? had a look at my lbs and they didnt have any in at the time(mainly mtb's) but its also cheaper online. also i want to keep away as there is a full sus mtb i like and i'm afraid i may pop in for a look and come home with it :shock: i also ruled out super cheap ebay specials as i was prone to snapping pedals clean off in my younger days due to my awesome power :wink: and that seems to be the main problem with them. so by saturday i should have made my final choice :D
    oh yeah, i figured my mtb commuter was close enough to a hybrid to rule them out. althugh i think some of them are pretty nice.
    oh, also brakes seem to be different these days on road bikes, what happened to the old dual lever jobbies that worked from the drops or the top bit? i always thought they were a good idea. i have also decided i will have a new job by the 12th at the latest. any longer and i would get bored.
    happy new year folks.

Glad you've sorted your choices out and best of luck on the job front.

On the dual lever brakes on road bikes - I asked the same thing recently but knew half the answer. The half I knew was that the gear change levers are now on the brakes rather than the down tube so levers in the middle linked directly to the brakes on the hood would not work (unless you wanted to just use them to change gears LoL). Also they were not particularly effective or safe. Holding the bike in the middle of the handlebars close to the stem is the least stable position - and you don't want to be applying the brakes hard from the least stable position - hence those levers being known as suicide levers
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    R34PER wrote:
    oh, also brakes seem to be different these days on road bikes, what happened to the old dual lever jobbies that worked from the drops or the top bit?

You can get interrupter or cyclocross brakes that sit on the flats of the drops and work in conjunction with the STIs/Ergos.

Just like these:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Cane_ ... 360012608/
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • R3aper, there was a thread about these a while ago - I wanted some for a while, but Biondino was talking about how the integrated flat and drop bar brakes are actually not that hot - I can't remember the topic I'm afraid.

The interruptor brakes linked above are a much better idea, but TBH you'll get used to riding on the hoods pretty quickly, I did, and the brakes are immediately accessible from there with standard levers.

And seriously - snapping pedals off?

I lay down some totally awesome power innit... enough to tear tendons I tell ya! But my ebay special rubbish roadie has not shed a pedal. However, I did replace the pedals with some £10 SPD impersonation pedals...

note: not being completely serious about the power.
  • Spitchips - BANNED
    Spitchips - BANNED Posts: 142
    edited January 2009
    You wear football boots to play football in.

You ride a road bike on the road

Perhaps you are the stupid one?

So with your opinion people who actually wear the correct clothing and have the right footwear and accessories to do the particluar job on hand are stupid are they? :evil: Your logic is unreal. :roll: So everyone from boxers to golfers who have the right gear are stupid? Yeah right. You would be the stupid one if you ever done anything and were not equipped or prepared to do the job. :roll:

So lance armstrong was stupid was he for having look shoes was he when riding his bike? So Baordman is stupid is he for having the tools for the job (lycra, cycle shoes, correct bike for the job on hand etc)? I think not. I think he planned out his rides very well and as such done well in the sports he was involved in - the same applies to footballers, golfers and any other sport , wether you like the sport or not.

I can not believe how off-key you are and totally imcapable of not understanding people are gearing themselves up for success, preparation is the key to success and having the right tools for the job!!! :shock:

:twisted: