25 Apr
Pitlochry 150 150 km
26 Apr Glen Isla 100
02 May Port Navigation Light 200 km
03 May Ardnamurchan Quarter 150 km
24 May Kingdom of Fife 200 km
16 Aug Pitlochry 200 200 km
29 Aug Dulsie Dipper 200 km
04 Sep Midnight Madness 200 kmI'd have liked to do The Half Light and/or The Snow Roads 300km, but I don't think that I'll be fit enough.

The 2nd and 3rd of May I'm going to make a long weekend of. I plan to cycle to and from Oban. If the weather's good I might extend it to a week.

The Midnight Madness because I've never cycled in the countryside at night before.

What have you guys got planned?
A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill

Comments

• This is my provisional list for this season::

15 Feb Tour of East Lothian, Musselburgh – 100km
    01 Mar Dave Harris Memorial, Rosewell – 200km
    05 Apr Affywyndie-Lyne, Peebles – 200km
    25 Apr Pitlochry 150, Forfar – 150km
    02 May Port Navigation Light, Ballachulish – 200km
    03 May The Half Light, Ballachulish – 300km
    17 May Deeside Loop, Forfar – 200km
    06 Jun The Snow Roads, Kirriemuir – 300km
    29 Aug Dulsie Dipper, Newtonmore – 200km
    30 Aug Strathspey Treasure Hunt, Newtonmore – 82km
    04 Sep Midnight Madness, Biggar,Lanarkshire – 200km
    20 Sep Three Glens Explorer, Dalmeny, nr Edinburgh – 160km

Word is that there will be a number of other rides (100km, 50km & 200km) out of Kirriemuir to coincide with the Snow Roads. The idea is to allow people to make a weekend of it. A few of us did a trial run of the Midnight Madness in September and it is a good route for a night ride. Very little navigation, no major climbs and 24 hour garages for controls. You also get to climb the Devil's beeftub at dawn, on the way back from England.

I'm also planning to slot in a 400 and 600 perm to get my SR. Probably the Kingdom Come 400 and the Twighlight 600.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    mercurykev wrote:
    ... Word is that there will be a number of other rides (100km, 50km & 200km) out of Kirriemuir to coincide with the Snow Roads. The idea is to allow people to make a weekend of it. ...
    That'd be good. I don't have anything for June. I was trying to arrange 1 a month.
    mercurykev wrote:
    ... A few of us did a trial run of the Midnight Madness in September and it is a good route for a night ride. Very little navigation, no major climbs and 24 hour garages for controls. You also get to climb the Devil's beeftub at dawn, on the way back from England. ...
    I didn't realise that it made a sortie into Englandland - couldn't find the route on Bikely - I'd better look out my passport.

I'm going to leave an SR 'till 2010. Next year's a getting-back-to-fitness year, hence all the 200s. Depending how it goes I may attempt a 300, but I'm not counting my chickens.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • mercurykev
    mercurykev Posts: 264
    edited December 2008
    This is the route for the Midnight Madness:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/down-to-longtown

It's basically Biggar to Longtown and back again.

If you manage the early 200, don't discount fitting in a 300 before the end of the season. This year I managed my first 200, 300, 400 & 600, when I was only planning on bagging the 300. Strangely my favourite ride of the year was the 400 - I think that it's the first distance that truely feels like you're an audaxer. Probably caused by the fact that you start in the morning and have to ride through the night. Even the 600 felt like a bit of a cheat, due the the 3 hours sleep in the middle :-)
  • Crapaud
    Thanks for the route, MK. I had a look at the map last night and couldn't work out how a loop could get onto foreign soil. Following the M74 is probably best done in darkness. :D

A couple of years ago I worked my way up to 200km by doing 70, 100, 150s and each one was a struggle towards the end. It left me with the impression that cycling distance is a miserable, masochistic pastime. I know that this isn't true, so my goal for 2009 is to get comfortable, again, at 200km (my longest ride to date is just over 200). As long as I can see improvement over the year I'll be happy.

Experience with pace, routesheets and equipment are another factor. 200 should be 'easy' by the time of the Midnight Madness and the night-riding experience is perfectly placed to launch me into the longer distances in 2010.

At least that's the plan.
  • Only one definite: the Kent Invicta Grimpeur, as a warm up for the Flanders sportive a few weeks later. Riding to/from the audax will make it a 160 km ride, so a reasonable distance as well as all the climbing.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    So far only A Mere Century and Gospel Pass if it's actually on this year. Wouldn't mind Spring Into The Dales too.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    vermooten wrote:
    So far only A Mere Century and Gospel Pass if it's actually on this year. Wouldn't mind Spring Into The Dales too.
    If you like SITD, you'd love Chris Crossland's sister event from Hebden Bridge in October - Season of Mists. Even hillier - 2555 m of climbing in 100 km, some of it at > 20%!
  • zoomcp
    zoomcp Posts: 975
    Willy Warmer
    El Supremo's 1066 DIY'd into a 200
    El Supremo's Uppertea 200
    El Supremo's 300
    Severn Across

and a few more including the usual Grimpeurs du Sud www.egcc.net/audax
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    mercurykev wrote:
    Word is that there will be a number of other rides (100km, 50km & 200km) out of Kirriemuir to coincide with the Snow Roads.

Yep, 3 other events on the same weekend as the Snow Roads. A 100 miler on the Saturday and a 100km and 200km on the Sunday. I shall be riding the shorter distances both days.
  • Noodley wrote:
    mercurykev wrote:
    Word is that there will be a number of other rides (100km, 50km & 200km) out of Kirriemuir to coincide with the Snow Roads.

Yep, 3 other events on the same weekend as the Snow Roads. A 100 miler on the Saturday and a 100km and 200km on the Sunday. I shall be riding the shorter distances both days.

If you're riding the short one on Saturday, who am I going to have to chum me to Braemar? You can't have got bored of the Snow Roads already!
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    mercurykev wrote:
    Noodley wrote:
    mercurykev wrote:
    If you're riding the short one on Saturday, who am I going to have to chum me to Braemar? You can't have got bored of the Snow Roads already!

I am being one of eck's not so little helpers this year and shall be riding the 300 and 200 the week before.

I am sure you will find someone faster than me to get you along to Braemar...
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    This year I am mostly going to try Audaxes for the first time. Sportives seem to be getting racier and hillier every year and that really isn't my thing. I figured start at 100 and work up to 200 by August and do : Wem, we get there. Tamworth 208 km (I could even ride home from this one too).
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    Crapaud wrote:
    What have you guys got planned?

31-JAN Willy Warmer 200
    28-FEB Brazier's Run 100 (made into a DIY 200 by cycling there from SW London)
    22-MAR Out of Hibernation 200
    29-MAR The Dean 300, DIY 100 the next day to get home from Oxford
    25-APR Elenith 300
    16-MAY Bryan Chapman Memorial 600
    26-MAY DIY 400 London to Padstow via Dartmoor (will take the geared bike for this one)
    6-JUN DIY 200 somewhere
    27-JUN Midland Super Grimpeur 300 (geared bike again)
    4-JUL DIY 400 Dun Run and back home to SW London
    26-JUL LEL 1400
    ??-AUG Cheddar Gorge 300 Perm
    ??-SEP Possible DIY 600: Cambridge - Builth Wells - Cambridge, but I might be fed up with the bike by this time
    Oct/Nov/Dev will just be relatively local 200s

:)
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • I've got these planned , plus probably one or two more

11 Jan Goodbye Christmas Yorkshire Pudding
    21 Feb North-West Passage
    14 Mar Three Fields
    29 Mar Fountains Monk'y-business
    18 Apr Roses to Wrags
    02 May Wiggy 300
    09 May Everybody Rides to Skeggy!
    17 May East Riding 200
    30 may diy 600
    13 Jun Moors and Wolds 400
    28 Jun Mother Shipton 100
    04 Jul Humber Bridge 400
    june/ july 3 bridges
    20 Sep Fen and Wold
    11 Oct Gerry's Autumn Brevet
    October colours of clumber x 2
  • Crapaud
    Greenbank wrote:
    ... 26-JUL LEL 1400 ...
    I'd half forgotten that it's LEL year. I'll need to remember to check over by to see if they're doing the 'live' reports like PBP a couple of years ago. It was the most gripping thread that I've ever read in the interweb. Someday I'll get round to doing it.

Good luck Greenbank. I hope you get better weather that the PBPers.
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    Crapaud wrote:
    Greenbank wrote:
    ... 26-JUL LEL 1400 ...
    I'd half forgotten that it's LEL year. I'll need to remember to check over by to see if they're doing the 'live' reports like PBP a couple of years ago. It was the most gripping thread that I've ever read in the interweb. Someday I'll get round to doing it.

Good luck Greenbank. I hope you get better weather that the PBPers.

Someone else will have to write the automatic tracker thingamibob since I'll be on my bike. :)
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.