Will it ever get warm again?

moonio
moonio Posts: 802
edited December 2008 in Commuting chat
I wanted to start cycle commuting again on Monday as its been about a month since I stopped...but! it will be -3 !! arrrghh

Is anyone else suffering from not cycling.
So far my symtoms have been

Weight gain...I have put on at least half a stone mainly because i kept on eating as I was when I was cycling
Bad mood..it could be the time of year also but I am really moody!!
insomnia..not sleeping until 2am
Colds...lots and lots of colds!!!!

its quite bad isnt it? Does anyone else get these problems?

Comments

• andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    Try having a condition where the cold makes you feel terrible

not only can i not cycle but am in constant agony with my legs and arms and if i get slightly cold my body can just seeze up, the joys of having fibromyalgia

It is annoying cos it definietly wasnt this cold last year.

lukicly havent put weight on as been trying to walk when i can and watching what im eating
  • Hey there,

I get all these problems, the only cure for me is getting the miles in.

It was freezing today, but I toughened up and went out anyway. Getting out is the hard bit. Staying out is easy.

Cheers
    Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • I like the cold! It wouldn't be winter without it. Those cool, crisp mornings are lovely.

I also totally agree with Pedro - once you get going you warm up pretty quickly.

However, due to my current broken-ness I am suffering the weight gain as well. Damn it.
  • andy83
    wish i could physically get out on bike then brave the cold, legs literally not working :(
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    It is the coldest start to a winter for 30yrs ... that's official.

I still commute to work by bike (unless it's really icy) but I've stopped going for a 'fun' ride while it's this cold.

Lets hope after a bad winter ... we have a great summer . :)
    Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Did 35 miles this afternoon. Really good to shake off the food-induced inertia that had been setting in.

It was a bit chilly, but managed ok. Did expose a glaring gap in my wardrobe though: the windproof Gore jacket I'm hankering after. But I knew this before I left the house, which is why I left my wallet at home. (So I didn't deviate to the LBS while I was out to buy it. I want that jacket. Badly.)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • It was -5C when I set off on 100K around S.Cheshire & N.Shropshire. Only my toes were cold by the time I finished and it wasn't a particulalry fast ride (as Mrs DB came along), so was not generating a lot of heat.

I can't understant the 'my legs don't work in the cold' comment. 4 layers on top, bib longs, winter gloves, seal skinz & overshoes, and jobs a gud 'un.

DB
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I like winter. I can stay warm on cold days better than i can stay cool on hot days. The dazzling sun that never gets higher than eye level, the pitch-black shadows that go with it on those days, the frost and black ice, the numb fingers and toes, the hot aches, the icy-cold (and sometimes frozen) water bottles that knock your teeth out when you take a swig, the frozen contact lenses, the sunset at 4 o'clock... I love winter :P
  • R34PER
    R34PER Posts: 193
    Dog Breath wrote:
    I can't understant the 'my legs don't work in the cold' comment. 4 layers on top, bib longs, winter gloves, seal skinz & overshoes, and jobs a gud 'un.

DB

click here
    you read the rest of the post too quickly and missed the Fibromyalgia bit :roll:
  • Sorry my mistake. Reading through posts too quickly. Sounds unpleasant though. Hope you are back on the bike soon.
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • Errrmmmmm:
    Dr. Frederick Wolfe, the lead author of the 1990 paper that first defined the classification criteria for fibromyalgia, has been since quoted as saying he has become cynical and discouraged about the diagnosis and that he now considers the condition a physical response to stress, depression, and economic and social anxiety

And other sections on the Wiki site bring up an interesting discussion about Fibromyalgia. I've heard of it before, in this controversy-based context... but never knew exactly what it was or wasn't.

Can of worms anyone?
  • andy83
    Dog Breath wrote:
    Sorry my mistake. Reading through posts too quickly. Sounds unpleasant though. Hope you are back on the bike soon.

no worries and thanks
    Errrmmmmm:
    Dr. Frederick Wolfe, the lead author of the 1990 paper that first defined the classification criteria for fibromyalgia, has been since quoted as saying he has become cynical and discouraged about the diagnosis and that he now considers the condition a physical response to stress, depression, and economic and social anxiety

And other sections on the Wiki site bring up an interesting discussion about Fibromyalgia. I've heard of it before, in this controversy-based context... but never knew exactly what it was or wasn't.

Can of worms anyone?

to be honest even im cycnical about it at times lol

i read a lot of people with it being stuck at home no job etc. i wouldnt let it effect me that much. To be honest it all came about when i had a mini stroke bout 4 years ago and my nervous system got totally messed up. i couldnt use my left side from the neck down for 3 months. I have a constant tingling in arms and legs which is unpleasent alone. It effects my muscles badly and the cold kind of locks up my legs and knees, a bit like artheritus (sp)

Whilst i havent been able to ride i have been walking to work as there is not as much chill from if i was on my bike.

Like a lot of illnesses there will always be some sceptism but i try my best to stay as normal as possible. im just awaiting some more thermals and bib's to come so i can introduce my cycling again slowly

i wish to god i could get out and have a long bike ride

i used to be a personal trainer and had to give it up for obvious reasons. Yes i know some might think its one of them psychological things but trust me its far from it. cycling has been the thing over last year that has kept me sane and is my one enjoyment as i dont smoke, drink (actually quite boring). the cold really knocks me for six.

its hard for me to explain to some people i mean only my girlfriend really understands, not even my parents do
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    I went out today or a short ride...it felt soooo good!! but felt like -2
    Safely back home now with some westons organic cider and good quality italian salami, all i need now is some wood to light the fire, but that would mean cycling to Homebase and I'm not going out in that cold again!
  • andy83 wrote:
    Dog Breath wrote:
    Sorry my mistake. Reading through posts too quickly. Sounds unpleasant though. Hope you are back on the bike soon.

no worries and thanks
    Errrmmmmm:

Can of worms anyone?

to be honest even im cycnical about it at times lol

i read a lot of people with it being stuck at home no job etc. i wouldnt let it effect me that much. To be honest it all came about when i had a mini stroke bout 4 years ago and my nervous system got totally messed up. i couldnt use my left side from the neck down for 3 months. I have a constant tingling in arms and legs which is unpleasent alone. It effects my muscles badly and the cold kind of locks up my legs and knees, a bit like artheritus (sp)

Whilst i havent been able to ride i have been walking to work as there is not as much chill from if i was on my bike.

Like a lot of illnesses there will always be some sceptism but i try my best to stay as normal as possible. im just awaiting some more thermals and bib's to come so i can introduce my cycling again slowly

i wish to god i could get out and have a long bike ride

i used to be a personal trainer and had to give it up for obvious reasons. Yes i know some might think its one of them psychological things but trust me its far from it. cycling has been the thing over last year that has kept me sane and is my one enjoyment as i dont smoke, drink (actually quite boring). the cold really knocks me for six.

its hard for me to explain to some people i mean only my girlfriend really understands, not even my parents do

Here's hoping that your determination will get you a long way.

Out of curiosity (to no one in particular), were it just a "psychological thing", would it be any less real or any less damaging? You see "its just in your head" isn't all that much of a consolation to someone who has something that is just in their head, unless they are called Worzel and have a spare head.
  • Tranced
    Tranced Posts: 165
    25M today. Ave temp on my cycle comp (incl wind chill) was -2. Followed a tip about wrapping feet in cling wrap under overshoes. It worked... fingers were another matter.
    I've not yet needed more than long bib, & 2 layers up top.
    Embrace cynicism…. see the bigger picture!!!!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Won't be warm here today. The heating has just packed up and so has the hot water, gonna be cold in Yokel Land :cry:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    I've been staying out at my parents, eating my own body weight in turkey and roast beef and beer.

Also, my brother is a smoker, and I have been 'helping' him... :shock:

Back on bike tomorrow!

Well, day after anyway... 8)

PS it's been warm in edinburgh city centre, but freezing in the outskirts!
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Nice long ride today.

-1 up to 5 degrees

There is something very magical about setting out before sun up, hearing the frost crackle under the tyres, and creating your own warmth.

A small part of me will miss winter......
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • linsen wrote:
    Nice long ride today.

-1 up to 5 degrees

There is something very magical about setting out before sun up, hearing the frost crackle under the tyres, and creating your own warmth.

A small part of me will miss winter......

i must try that sometime
  • ris
    ris Posts: 392
    there is a part of me looking forward to getting back on the bike in january for the longer commute, i've been suffering (dying) from colds and man-flu for what seems like a couple of months.

only now am i feeling a bit recovered, most of christmas week was a washout of extreme coughing and lemsip. back on the bike on jan 6th i hope.
  • brigez
    brigez Posts: 31
    I went out today or a short ride...it felt soooo good!! but felt like -2
    Safely back home now with some westons organic cider and good quality italian salami, all i need now is some wood to light the fire, but that would mean cycling to Homebase and I'm not going out in that cold again!

westons organic cider, eh........one of my favourites, very nice.

I prefer to ride in the cold, easier for me to control my body temp with layers or effort!

Monnio, hope things improve for you as spring comes along and we have a nice mild summer :D
    gimee time, i'll think of something.........
  • brigez
    brigez Posts: 31
    Monnio, hope things improve for you as spring comes along and we have a nice mild summer

Sorry, should've typed Moonio, must be the cider :oops:
    gimee time, i'll think of something.........
  • CJ Bill
    CJ Bill Posts: 415
    I had three black ice incidents in December, with the last one being quite nasty (actually came within inches of hitting a car and still managed to total my frame), so I'm being ultra paranoid at the moment and not getting the miles in on my commute. Not really through choice, as I know when the grounds like this the cycling is safe enough, just, well, paranoid.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    No commuting for me this week thank god. I'm staying in bed until it's warmed up a bit, about March should do it :wink::wink:

I have decided to clean the bike today though, nothing like spending half an hour or so in freezing cold with your hands in warm water :?
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Bought a Gore Phantom Jacket this morning - had my eyes on it for a short while - and took it for three laps of Richmond Park this afternoon. It's fantastic. Wore a baselayer, my short sleeve club jersey and this jacket. I was closer to too warm if anything.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I'm split on the cold weather now.......it's not to bad as it usually only takes 10-15 minutes to warm up and the alternative is stuffed into a germ filled metal tube listening to another person's tinny music!

Like the OP I also find I get rather short tempered if off the bike for extended period's - so much so that the wife SENT me out on a ride Sunday before last just to calm me down a bit :-) 30 miles does wonders, and I managed to include a few roads that I'd been itching to ride after having so much fun doing in the car :-D

Having said all this I am certainly a warm weather person, after all why spend all that time getting nice tribal tattoos on your arms when you have to cover them up with multiple layers - BRING ON THE SUN!!!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Cold crisp day + cycling round central London - most of the working population = awesome