What Rear Sus?

throttlemonkeyy
throttlemonkeyy Posts: 9
edited January 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi,
I wouldn't say im new to biking but to be honest i dont have a clue about rear suspension. Looking to buy a "RockShox Monarch 4.2 Rear Shock (2008)". Now the only problem i have with buying this shock is the diffirent sizes. What do they all mean?

165x38mm
190x51mm
200x51mm
216x63mm

Will only a certain size fit the frame of my bike? If so how do i check to be absolutely sure im buying the correct one?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Dane

Comments

• what bike is it for?
  • Its a Specialized FSR XC i thinks it the 2006 or 2007 model
  • you need to measure the length of the existing shock from eye to eye (the first figure), and the length of the shaft on the shock (the second figure).

i think on that bike it should be 7.5''X1.75'' (about 190 X 50mm)
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Hi,
    I wouldn't say im new to biking but to be honest i dont have a clue about rear suspension. Looking to buy a "RockShox Monarch 4.2 Rear Shock (2008)". Now the only problem i have with buying this shock is the diffirent sizes. What do they all mean?

165x38mm
    190x51mm
    200x51mm
    216x63mm

Will only a certain size fit the frame of my bike? If so how do i check to be absolutely sure im buying the correct one?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Dane

The second figure is actually the nominal stroke of the shock from fully extended to fully compressed, not the length of the shaft.

You also need to factor in the correct mounting hardware too, as the shock will not come with any. Your best bet is to ask whoever you're buying it from.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    FSR Xc is 165x38.Its a 100mm travel bike,make sure you get the right size mounting hardware for it.
  • brilliant. Thanks for the info. Wont be buyin for a while so iw ill be doing more research anyway.

Cheers
  • does anyone know where i can get mounting harware for a rock shox bar 2.1. Lookin all over google and i can't find it anywhere.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    What is your current shock? Bars are crap - worse than the standard shocks on FSRs
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • current shock is "fsd HARD SHOCK" looks crap and it's well and trully half past dead. any reccomendations for a shock at around £130?
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    If i were you i`d just get your current shock serviced.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd get a new air shock.
    BlackSpur wrote:
    What is your current shock? Bars are crap - worse than the standard shocks on FSRs

I'd disagree with that. Basic they may be, but tend to be smoother and less spiky than say an Ario. I used to use one, perfromed very well.
  • thanks super. Just lookin for a cheap one due to the shock i have is goosed and the bushes are near enough gone. Going out to glentress today so will pop into Alpine bikes on way there to see what that guy says.

Cheers
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    supersonic wrote:
    I'd get a new air shock.
    BlackSpur wrote:

I'd disagree with that. Basic they may be, but tend to be smoother and less spiky than say an Ario. I used to use one, perfromed very well.

Maybe the comment was a tad unfair - the two bikes I have seen/ test ridden with them were in pretty sh!t state!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • davree
    davree Posts: 93
    What about this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=11698

it's 165 x 38 and if Boydie is right it's the correct dimensions for your bike, you will just need the correct moutings for it. :D
    '08 Stinky and an old Saracen X-tort Single speed

"It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest incident of the nineteenth century"
  • i was looking at that one... looks great but the size of the expantion tank is too large for my bike. Also went to a bike shop "Alpine Bikes". They say that my bike is a 152mm as that is the current size of my shock and going up to a 165mm would either make the shock useless or possibly damage my bike. Not sure if i want to take the risk
  • Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    if you put a shock on thats far too big for the bike it will lift the frame at an angle and wont compress properly. it wont damage the bike but it will wear any bearings or bushing in the pivot points down a lot quicker. unbalanced. it wont be too noticable but you might feel a little unbalanced and the bike will feel awkward and unresponsive.
  • dmjb3
    dmjb3 Posts: 29
    All - the 2007 FSR XC shock is 7" x 1.6". Or 178x41mm. Its Specialized specific and non-upgradeable...
  • dmjb3
    All - the 2007 FSR XC shock is 7" x 1.6". Or 178x41mm. Its Specialized specific and non-upgradeable...
  • sorry but you are wrong. Measured the one i have already and it is 152. been to many shops they all have said its 152 so it is upgradeable just cant afford the shock i want at the moment, so i will just have to wait.
  • dmjb3
    sorry but you are wrong. Measured the one i have already and it is 152. been to many shops they all have said its 152 so it is upgradeable just cant afford the shock i want at the moment, so i will just have to wait.
    I'm just trying to help!
    Its a Specialized FSR XC i thinks it the 2006 or 2007 model

The 2008 Manual (which looks like the same bike as 06/07 but different colours) is available on the Specialized website - see http://cdn.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/pdf/manuals/08_FSRxc_Myka_Manual_r1.pdf

Turn to page 10... It states 7" by 1.6", which as I stated above, is not a common size. It is possible the 2006 used a different size, so you might be correct, but measuring shocks is not easy on the bike, and I'd rather you did not spend a load of cash on the wrong bits!
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    If it is a Spech specific size (my '08 was) you could try asking the company (or a dealer) if they'd sell you an upgraded one, doubt it would be cheap though.

Might be worth figuring out which year it is from (google and the colour of the frame may help) to find official docs of the shock size - as alluded to above, you don't really want to get the wrong one.