No 2009 Legbreaker

fluff.
fluff. Posts: 771
Happened to drive by the site http://www.legbreaker.co.uk/index.htm and saw that Leek Cycling club won't be promoting the Legbreaker this year (so I think almost certain not to happen), a shame as it was well organised event I thought.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    fluff. wrote:
    Happened to drive by the site http://www.legbreaker.co.uk/index.htm and saw that Leek Cycling club won't be promoting the Legbreaker this year (so I think almost certain not to happen), a shame as it was well organised event I thought.

Thats a real shame...it had a great rep for being so well run....but it does not surprise me one bit....theres just so many sportives now in the UK....for me personally I can only afford maybe 4 or 5 sportives at the very most each year....and so I choose carefully what I'm going to do.....I personally think July's a nightmare of a month for any sportive...mainly due to it being in the heart of Holiday season....lots of cyclists are away with there families and doing stuff with there kids around then...and I always saw a lack of riders for the Legbreaker and the Tour of the Black Mountains and I think thats the reason...simply the wrong time of year...

I fear a number of sportives will throw in the towel in the next year or 2...due to lack of numbers...theres so many!....some sportives will always be sold out...FWC,EdDs,Bealach,Autumn Epic etc....these are the most popular of the events and attract a huge following....but theres many other outstanding well organised events out there with very special routes and cycling monuments...and if the riders only concentrate on the most popular of events then its inevitable that the others will fail.

I look at a sportive as a excellent chance to experience another part of the country...so for me I dont usually do the same sportive time and time again...I like to do different ones each year...and that way then theres a good chance the sportive scene will flourish....theres just so many special events out there....this year Im doing the 5 Dales Richmond, Spud Riley & the Ryedale Rumble...these are fantastic routes with great organisation....a new experience for me...and maybe in 2010 I maybe take the long trip south for the Cornwall Tor...really fancy this and never cycled the mad steep coastal roads of lovely Cornwall....and also this Wild Edric next year aswell...Shropshire and Long Mynd.....just different!

Basically, the UK has a fantastic sportive scene...but the bubble will burst soon unless the events get the numbers to justify the thing...I just hope that the Legbreaker isnt the start of a chain reaction....
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    I don't think the Legbreaker was having problems filling places, I believe no 2009 event is due to lack of available time on the part of the main organiser, and there may have been some issues to do with the crashes in 2008 event (though I'm not certain on that). Hopefully it'll be back in 2010 though.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Shame. Legbreaker was one of the best and most enthusiastically organised events I rode in this year.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • MarcB
    MarcB Posts: 46
    Hi,

It's true, no Legbreaker for 2009 :(

Leek CC are only a small club and the Legbreaker was demanding more time organising, promoting, running etc. My wife & I stepped down as organisers to have a break and also concentrate on our own business this year.

We achieved what we set out for three years ago and have raised over £10,000 for the Air Ambulance.

That may not be the end of Leek CC's promotions though, watch this space for a possible early season event, 50 (ish) miles around the Peak District late March....
  • BMCCbry
    BMCCbry Posts: 153
    Hi Marc

Just to reiterate what I said last year (and the year before) about the Legbreaker - it was a fantastic event, so well done for all the work you put into it. Can see why the organisation would be very time-consuming!

I'd say it was one of the friendliest sportives I've done, with the BEST feed stations! :-)

Cheers,
    Bry