Hydrapacks

hitchen92
hitchen92 Posts: 264
edited December 2008 in Road beginners
Because having a backpack strapped to your back adds weight and makes you less aerodynamic than you already are, hence slowing you down.

Comments

• I always wear a Camelbak pack with the Hydrapak bladder. Much more preferable to reaching for bottle. As I'm not a race snake, I'm not too worried about aerodynamics.
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Sweaty back syndrome.
    Raises your centre of gravity (makes a difference on a twitchy road bike).
    Easier to just grab a bottle.
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    I don't have to lean down to get my drink. If you have to lean down to get your drink then your bike must be too big for you.
  • I don't have to lean down to get my drink. If you have to lean down to get your drink then your bike must be too big for you.

Uh -oh, i'm 6 feet so i guess my 54cm frame must be far to big, better get a 49 then..... :roll:
  • rikk
    rikk Posts: 734
    Jake...using a pack is fine lots of people use them, basicly whatever works for you :)

I use a pack as I like to carry a good selection of spares as if the bike breaks to the point I can't ride it I'm royally stuffed, also with the weight on your back you don't feel it. I always find it strange how people go to enormous lengths and expense to save a few grams then put two bottle of water on the bike.

Also with regard to the sweaty back if you buy the right packs you don't get it, vaude and northwave are two makes that come to mind that have mesh panels that keep the pack away from your back slightly so no sweat.

Unless the pack is VERY ill fitting the bike won't feel twitchy or unstable it's only the pack moving around (side to side) that would make you feel unstable, keep it tight and keep the chest strap good and tight so as not to cut the circulation off.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I've got two camelbaks, but I think I'll stick to my waterbottles on the bike. I hate wearing a rucksack on the bike, so why would I want to wear a sack with water in when it's easier to just use a couple of water bottles.

Perhaps if I was timetrialing (especially longer distances) a camelbak might be a better bet than a bottle(s), as there would be no requirement to come off the aerobars, and it could be worn underneath a skinsuit (Disclaimer: I ain't done any timetrials yet)
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    Jake151 wrote:
    sweaty back syndrome dont really bother me, compared to the rest of my body after a ride my back is positively dry, i used it today, it helped a lot. 'On the Road' if i use a bottle then i do have to lean down but thats proberly because my saddle is too high but thats what the guys at the club said so i can get a straight leg on the down stroke
    Then they're probably right, but I was just being sarcastic. I've obviously ruffled a few feathers :lol:
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    if im going long distance i prefer a camelback, easier to carry 3lt of water for a day ride on a hot day, plenty of space for spares so you dont need to cut your day short :)
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • I use my road bike for travelling to work, and find in the 2 11 mile journeys, once I've done it a few times, dont need the water, and its only 45 mins door to door (or less).

However, on my mtb, I might be out for hours over much more demanding (read sweaty) terrain, and use a 3l camelbak type affair. Typically I might fill the bottle with diluted squash and water in the camelbak.

It depends what your doing really. If you drink a lot, as people tend to when they first get into cycling, the C'B's the way to go. When that "phase" wears off, then a bottles not a bad option.

And dont forget on a road bike a second waterbottle makes an excellent carrier for a few basic tools.
    Bianchi c2c Alu Nirone 7 Xenon (2007) Road
    Orange P7 (1999) Road
    Diamond Back Snr Pro (1983) BMX
    Diamond BackSIlver Streak (1983) BMX

Oh, and BMX is the *ultimate* single speed.