New biker here

rob101
rob101 Posts: 10
edited January 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi all, just bought a GT aggressor xc3 09 model. I wanted this bike, well the 08 model for ages. Reason why is along time ago 10 years I borrowed a GT bike of a mate, cant remember what model it was apart from it cost about £1000 and it was amazing.
The guy in halfords was a carrera fan and said for the same money £349 I could have a better bike. Is this true?

So I am a complete beginner to mtb scene my only experience is 3-4 years of BMX in my teenage years.

The bike is in the box and needs building so any tips on doing this?

And any other advice appreciated

Comments

• xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Hi and welcome to the world of MTB-ing.
    The guy in halfords was a carrera fan and said for the same money £349 I could have a better bike. Is this true?
    No, that's not true, for a 2009 model I think you've bought a nice bike with hydro brakes
    for a nice price. :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    nice bike, and welcome, good luck building the bike, if you have any particular problems, post your questions in the workshop thread and there are dozens of folk around who are well versed in bike building.

once its built (or before if you fancy!) go to this thread so we can all have a look at it. (im sure you will turn into a bike pervert at some point soon too.) :lol:
  • rob101
    Ok thanks guys. I did a fair bit of research bfore making my choice and the GT bikes did seem to be quite popular.

Hmmm the build of the bike is just wheels on and seat on or is it? Not even looked in the box yet.

Will post up loads of pics for you all.

Merry xmas
  • Hey, Happy Christmas :)

I have what is essentially the same bike as you (same frame a tleast) and i can tell you that its a super frame.

With regards to putting it together THIS may help :)

Enjoy.
    B
  • rob101
    Phew looks easy hope my bike is similair to put together, thanks for the link
  • I'd have to hazzard a guess that someone working in halfords will be paid to push the carerra brand bikes irregardless of if it's what you want or not. Mate of mine just bought his folks a cheap laptop from pc world & was being badgered to buy them a macbook by the guy who served him :roll:
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • rob101
    The guy at Halfords did seem genuine and a real nice bloke who was a real mtb enthusiast, but there again he was a salesman.
  • GT are probably better than carrera, halfords will try to sell you anything, one person even tried to convice me that their own brand full-sus was better and lighter than the bike i have now (not light but definitely lighter than what he tried to sell me). I can tell you now he was wrong. Halfords didn't get the name halfrauds for nothing

Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • Anonymous
    i owuldnt give carrera too hard a time, from what i have seen, some of their bikes are very nice, i still think the fury in the black paint job was a lovely looking bit of kit and i love the look of the new fury am.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    There is prob a good element of truth in his reasoning - a bike that was a grand ten years ago would prob cost a lot less nowadays.
  • suppose, they get alright reviews but a 349 quid bike will never be as good as a bike worth a grand especially on spec.

Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • rob101
    Got the bike built up and it was fairly easy. Handle bars on seat on front wheel on and the brake caliper oh and the pedals.

Posted some pics up for you all to see...

gtaggressorxc309nm9.th.jpggtaggressorxc309pic2du3.th.jpg
    gtaggressorxc309pic3hf7.th.jpg
    gtaggressorxc309pic4zu5.th.jpg
  • Anonymous
    looks very good (dont tell sonic i said that about either a hardtail or a gt) good job on the build, looks like you are ready to go, have you been for a ride yet?
  • rob101
    I most certainly have : )

Just took it for a spin up the road, did not get very far have to pack in the fags lol

The bike feels very nice, nice smooth gear change excellent brakes and a nice riding position.
    You can tell the bike is quality, well quality for £350 and I am very happy with my purchase.

The cable from the front brake calliper, should i use a tie wrap if so where?
    Just seems to stick out a bit and there are a a few tie wraps in the box
  • Anonymous
    its a good idea to put one around the front fork leg near the top just below the bulge to trap the hose there. that will keep it quiet and stop it from flapping round.

try and trap the hose closer to the wheel side of the fork as oppose to the outside of the fork as it will keep the hose out of harms way if you lay the bike down or heaven forbid, crash

good on you for giving it a spin already, it might feel hard right now but in a matter of weeks you will be out for longer and having a blast, you will be suprised how quickly your fitness improves and riding is a lot more fun when you dont feel like you are punishing yourself!!
  • rob101
    Ok great I will put the tie wrap on, I was thinking up the top of the fork.

I may head off tomorrow for a little ride, got so many dirt tracks where I live. If I take it steady I will be ok

Thanks for the help :wink:
  • rob101
    Had another little ride on the bike today and made it a bit further.

Just a little prob with the gears clattering around a bit.
    Is it just a case of adjusting the small plastic screw that goes into the gear selecter levers?

All help welcome : )
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    They say that gear cables strech during first rides, so they need to be adjusted.
    That didn't happened to me when I bought my bike.

But yes, just turn the plastic screw on shifters and that's it.
  • Mattbot2
    Mattbot2 Posts: 384
    Yup. Just play around with that little plastic screw.

I did it whilst riding and it turned out okay.
    2q2kfno.png
    ^^^ Click for pictures of my bike ^^
  • rob101
    ok cool I will keep playing around with the screws

Thanks for the help
  • Anonymous
    turn the screw anti clockwise about half a turn and that should take up the slack
  • jondi
    jondi Posts: 152
    I almost bought that bike too from Halfords, I ended up trying out hagling and got £100 off a Saracen Mantra, £200 total which i thought was pretty good.