Benefits of Tubular?

father_jack
father_jack Posts: 3,509
edited December 2008 in Road beginners
What are the pros and cons of Tubular Wheels/tyres? What about punctures can you repair Tubular tyres?
Say... That's a nice bike..
Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)

Comments

• meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Quite a lot of discussion on this if you "search" I think.

But by and large the consensus is probably that tubs only worth while for racing. And best if you have a support car!

They CAN be repaired but something of a dying cottage industry - and for all practical purposes not to be done by the roadside. Can carry one (and at a push two) spare. And that's your day done!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Sealant

Tubs are known to be a bit more resistant to flats than clinchers. You can run lower pressure with tubs as they are less likely to pinch flat and so can be more comfortable. Wheelsets tend to be lighter for tubs too,
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    I used to fill mine with Tuffo sealent. Never had a puncture but it was always in the back of my mind if I did I was up **** creek. So only used them for a couple of time trials then sold them on. Shame really as they were the best wheels I've ever owned, Mavic CPX rims on 28 spoke Ultegra hubs.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    John C. wrote:
    I used to fill mine with Tuffo sealent. Never had a puncture but it was always in the back of my mind if I did I was up **** creek. So only used them for a couple of time trials then sold them on. Shame really as they were the best wheels I've ever owned, Mavic CPX rims on 28 spoke Ultegra hubs.

Tufo sealant works well against punctures but I don't use it unless I actually get a flat. I don't like the way it clogs up the valves, but it does work. I also like Tufo tires, both tubulars and tubular clinchers. Don't have any problems with them. I don't think Tufo sealant works very well, if at all, in other brands of tires.

Dennis Noward