Good (ish) news!

lost_in_thought
lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
edited December 2008 in Commuting chat
Well thanks for keeping your fingers crossed people...

I went to the hospickle in Colchester, where they did an ultrasound of my ankle, and ascertained that either a) it's healed quite a lot in a week or b) it isn't as badly torn as the people in Ealing said it was.

I certainly can't feel the tear any more, like I could previously, so that's encouraging.

And the really good news is that the medics there reckon a maximum ot 6 weeks in plaster - 3 in this cast followed by another assessment when they will decide whether to give me a removable air cast or to do another short fibreglass one for 2 weeks...

In summary......

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Edit: I'm taking this as meaning that I'll be back on the bike in Feb at the latest. Physio? What do you mean physio? Shhhhhhhhh....

Comments

• NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Excellent, glad to hear you are on the mend.

I shall be back on two wheels myself on Boxing Day (to cycle to work) after my own injury which put my back out, so looking forward to that...I think ;-)
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Livs, hon, DON'T FECK IT UP by being too keen. You won't, will you?

But in the meantime, YAY!!
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    HURRAH!!!!
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Good news (but weren't we keeping our fingers x'd so that you'd be told it was actually all a dream and there's nothing wrong with it? I forget a lot these days).

Like biondi said: do what they tell you to do, and don't do more than that. And "they" includes the physios. In fact, it includes them in particular.

And another thing [finger wagging mode: engaged]: when you ask them "can I ride a bike", tell them (a) you only have one gear; (b) it's massive; (c) you enjoy chewing up hapless and unsuspecting male roadies and spitting them out. Otherwise they'll happily say "yes dear", imagining you to be off on a sit-up-and-beg shopper rolling around slower than the tide.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    Fantastic.

And do what they all said, however tough it may be.

Happy(er) Christmas x
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    All that finger-crossing has turned to finger-wagging :D

Great news, but do what they say and take it easy if needs be. You don't want to end up needing even more time off the bike - that would be tragic!
  • Great news. The book club thread will give you plenty to do to take your mind off cyc...ah, just seen the flaw to my logic :oops: :D

Take it easy.
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Yes, what they all said.

Ho Ho Ho
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    The very thought of your injury has given me that 'tooth curling' feeling... hope it is healing as rapidly as you say. I had a very minor knee injury about 4 months ago and after physio and exercises and a review of my riding style I only have to be careful to warm up well and observant about how the knee is feeling now. I have had one flair up after going riding up a big hill without any warm up on a really cold day whilst tired and thinking I was 'over' the injury - Don't Do That. It's Rubbish.
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    .pppp
    Greg66 wrote:
    Good news (but weren't we keeping our fingers x'd so that you'd be told it was actually all a dream and there's nothing wrong with it? I forget a lot these days).

Like biondi said: do what they tell you to do, and don't do more than that. And "they" includes the physios. In fact, it includes them in particular.

And another thing [finger wagging mode: engaged]: when you ask them "can I ride a bike", tell them (a) you only have one gear; (b) it's massive; (c) you enjoy chewing up hapless and unsuspecting male roadies and spitting them out. Otherwise they'll happily say "yes dear", imagining you to be off on a sit-up-and-beg shopper rolling around slower than the tide.

LiT - as Old Man Rivers says above ( :wink: ), do what they tell you and don't do yourself in by getting on the bike too soon. That way, you'llbeat your top speed next year :D
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • good skills LiT......what a great xmas present :)

Have you grafitti'd the cast yet :D
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • Remember to eat lots of brussel sprouts for an even faster recovery! :lol:
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Remember to eat lots of brussel sprouts for an even faster recovery! :lol:

Well it will give her some extra propulsion :D:lol:

Yeah take it easy LiT (not too hard to do this time of year, lol, with luck)
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Good news Olivia

Merry Christmas
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Likewise LiT - good Xmas present - but do listen to everyone - I know you want to jump straight back on the bike but do it right now and it may not happen again - do it wrong and it could become a chronic problem - very much older and slightly (but not much) wiser advice.

Para gliding anyone? 8)
  • Ta very much like. :D

I will do my best to be good and heed all the advice.

All the bike-related xmas gifts from friends and family are sitting on the table over there mocking me. I might have to hide them.

:x
  • well get well soon? i've enjoyed reading the ring silly ness to name one, will you be okay on the inches or will need to pare back or will you be fine?