Bargain mudguards

FSR_XC
FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
edited December 2008 in Road beginners
I don't like mudguards, but as I ride with others in winter thought I should.

As SKS Race Blades were over £30, I wanted something a bit cheaper.

Then I see SJS Roadguards on ebay - 99p + £4.50p&p, total £5.49

OK they aren't as swish as the SKS ones, but they are just what I need.
Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    They might be better than nothing, but only just... Same goes for Raceblades though
    More problems but still living....
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Race blades are rubbish-have a pair. Bought another bike for wet use. If your bike has eyelets and fittings for guards use them.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • I was thinking of getting some of these

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... uctID=5621

Anyone have any experience of them?
  • father_jack
    Those types of guards are ok for MTB, where you don't get a water jet blast like you do on road tyres (thicker tyres r and you're going slower) They won't stop the area around the seat tube area, and around fork area. Fine for lighter shower but if it's pouring down you'll still get soaked and filthy. If you intend to ride in the wet buy full length guards.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Most road cyclists that I know ride race bikes that won't accommodate 'proper mudguards'.
    For us, race blades are the next best thing. Most of us have retired summer bikes as winter bikes so again full length mudguards are not an option. I 'm sure that full length guards are great if you ride a hybrid or a tourer.
  • thexvw
    thexvw Posts: 135
    Race blades are rubbish-have a pair. Bought another bike for wet use. If your bike has eyelets and fittings for guards use them.

I think your missing the point. Obviously if your bike can take full mudguards it makes no sense to fit raceblades. If it cant, and you dont want to use a different bike in the wet, "race blades" are the next best thing. I think they are great, you get a lot wetter without them
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    FSR_XC wrote:
    I don't like mudguards, but as I ride with others in winter thought I should.

As SKS Race Blades were over £30, I wanted something a bit cheaper.

Then I see SJS Roadguards on ebay - 99p + £4.50p&p, total £5.49

OK they aren't as swish as the SKS ones, but they are just what I need.

I was looking at these for my fixed gear - how are they quality-wise? Also, do you have to take out all the screws to remove them? I was under the impression that SKS Race blades clip on and off which would give them an edge, though they cost a good bit more.

Matthew
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    I bought the SJS cheapo Raceblades thingies.......and would advise you not to do the same..

You're better off with a full set of mudguards
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Race Blades are absolutely fine for what they are. If you have your race bike over the winter then they are a great compromise. Do the job very well. And not that expensive when you consider the lower quality alternatives.
  • father_jack
    Probably is unless your bike is classic frame with round tubing they won't stay put. The rear isn't too bad (gaint OCR) but front is a pig. One time I was riding did 20 miles fine and they started to rub.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Is this why we all need lots of bikes not just ' one for all seasons'. It's a good excuse for another bike anyway. For my sins I only have 3 bikes
    1. summer bike light and no gaurds
    2. summer bike fairly light with gaurds and rack
    3 . winter steel hack weighs a ton with gaurds, rack and crappy wheels.

Happy Christmas Jack
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • i have the sjs ones from ebay and they are good for the price. I only use the rear one though at the moment.
    Dont expect to get them for 99p plus p&p though, that is just the starting bid price. You can use the buy now price, which is about £12, or bid for them. I won my pair for £6.

The ebay shop that are selling them do alot of copy / look alike stuff. I got a turbo trainer that is similar to a Minoura one for about £40.
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    I did manage to get mine for 99p.

Saw a set almost identical in Halfords the other day for over £20.

Not fitted mine yet, as the weather has been great over the last week.

As for fit / removal, once you have set them up and tightened them up, to remove, it looks like you just unclip them from the seat stay / forks.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Thanks for the replies to my question, I may just give the SJS ones a try if I can pick them up cheap enough.

Cheers,
    Matthew