Trek 1000SL

medusa
medusa Posts: 15
edited December 2008 in Road beginners
What happend to this bike? I remember i wanted to buy one about 2 years ago, but parents didnt let me get it because i was too young.
Something like this;
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1365/613 ... 701b_b.jpg

I would be very grateful if someone could tell me what happend to them and if it would be possible for me to still buy one somewhere?

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    stopped making them in 2007 and replaced with the sloping top tube design 1.2/1.5/1.7/1.9 models.

might find a shop with one which is still in stock - else it is second hand only i'm afraid.
  • medusa
    nooooooo :(

They are BEAUTIFUL! , do you know why they stopped making them?
    Ive googled but cannot find any in the bright orange colour :(

The 1.2s are nice but damn 1000sl looked SEXY
  • gkerr4
    well - they used to have the 1200, 1500 etc 'race' bikes and the pilot 1.0, 1.2 etc "comfy" road bikes

at the same time the Madone looked like the 1200 you like - horizontal top tube, very short headtube - very racy. Lance Armstrong used to say that bikes with sloping top tubes were for girls (see what he races next year shall we?)

strange coincidence that when he left trek changed the range abolished both the 1200 and a the pilot range and replaced them with the more comfort oriented 1.x range with sloping top tubes.

this coincided with a renewed madone range with sloping top tube and two 'fits' - pro and performance - the latter being slightly higher at the front end for us mere mortals.

the 1000,1200, 1500 were pretty nice looking I agree, but very racy in geometry and not too comfy for the regular bloke in the street!
  • medusa
    edited December 2008
    Ive found an 1000sl
    http://www.bionicsports.com/acatalog/Tr ... e2006.html

How the hell can they get away with charging 10 quid less than on the official Trek website from 3 years ago?

THIS IS MADNESS, THIS IS SPARRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTA haha.

Annoying, I love the really bright vivid colours such as the orange on the 1000sl.

Im trying to find a nice roadbike, that LOOKS nice aswell as has decent performance under £500.

the 2009 trek 1.2 http://www.cyclesuk.com/104-555027 is my best bet so far at just over 500 quid.

edit: have just found it for 487, http://www.sbrsports.com/515-455864?source=aw still more than i expected after 3 years though. Will keep looking. I will buy it if it goes under 420 lol.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I dunno - I have a 1200 as my winter bike and it's a lot silkier than my carbon Focus - pretty comfy all in all.

I'd have thought you could find a 1000 second hand pretty easily, and get one in decent nick for not much more than £200. Having said that, they're heavy buggers, with heavy components - the handlebars have their own gravity.

But I do owe the 1000 one thing - it was a test ride on it that convinced me I needed to get a road bike rather than a tourer.
  • medusa
    biondino wrote:
    I dunno - I have a 1200 as my winter bike and it's a lot silkier than my carbon Focus - pretty comfy all in all.

I'd have thought you could find a 1000 second hand pretty easily, and get one in decent nick for not much more than £200. Having said that, they're heavy buggers, with heavy components - the handlebars have their own gravity.

But I do owe the 1000 one thing - it was a test ride on it that convinced me I needed to get a road bike rather than a tourer.
    Aye, but this is my first roadbike, all my other bikes have been Front suspension because I used to be really really big on the whole offroading, mountainbiking, BIG jumps etc scene. DTH (down the hill, i forgot the name of it now hahah)

So basically, im thinking that, i wont notice the difference. All you guys say that "WOW ITS HEAVY" etc, but you are probably comparing that to the £1000+ bikes you are riding or friends bikes that are really light and good lol.
  • medusa
    bump
  • I looked at buying a 1000 just a couple of months back,for £250.It was immaculate but was a bit small so I ended up getting a 1200,for £300 in the right size.Much prefer the Tiagra shifters and better wheels too.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • medusa
    I looked at buying a 1000 just a couple of months back,for £250.It was immaculate but was a bit small so I ended up getting a 1200,for £300 in the right size.Much prefer the Tiagra shifters and better wheels too.
    Where did you find the 1000? Ive looked one ebay and google but i cant seem to find it anywhere!

Its annoying, whenever i come on this forum there are always people who manage to find stuff really easily.
  • gkerr4
    biondino wrote:

in fairness - you are comparing it to a focus cayo - not the most comfortable bike either!

Both are very racy in their riding position and geometry!
  • mosfet
    mosfet Posts: 26
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/danloader/3150702842/in/set-72157603755048832/

There you go!

It's by far the cheapest bike on my club ride, even with silly handlebars and flashyish wheels, but it's comfortable and about as light as an ally bike gets.

It's a double 8 speed, 54cm 2006 model in Trek's marmite-like "love it or hate it" orange. Keo sprint pedals, Bonty X Lite Wheels + Conti GP4000s, XXX Lite handlebars and a Spesh Toupe 143 saddle.

Can't see myself replacing it any time soon, unless someone buys it :)