which is harder work?

ARob
ARob Posts: 143
edited December 2008 in Road beginners
tough sportive or giving birth? in terms of calories burned, or other measures?

(not one for a Christams debate at home i suspect....) :roll:

Comments

• willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    now not that i've given birth, or ever will, but im going with that lol ;)

9 months of 'training' ever day, all hours... putting on extra weight, eating for two.. let alone the training after the event, when the lady wants to diet to get back into shape :S (maybe)

Oh and if it ends up being a c section, ouch :)
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    Sportives aren't a challenge, however, as a male, I imagine giving birth is nigh on impossible.
  • Hey there,

I think it depends on whether or not the sportive is into a headwind.

Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    How about giving birth during a sportive and getting back on the bike to finish the event :shock:
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    I watched the wife give birth. Didn't look that hard. Only lasted 48 mins and she had all sorts of pharmaceuticahels to take take the edge of it. Sure she moaned in pain quite a bit but to be fair she's never happier than when she's moaning about something so in essence she was clearly enjoying it. On the other hand I don't reckon she could cycle the length of our garden never mind a sportive. :roll:
  • Top post Gav.

PS - Have you thought about a career in marriage guidance counselling?
  • pud77
    pud77 Posts: 144
    Don't EVER let the wife near this thread Gav :lol:
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Eat a whole watermelon whole then report back in 3 days if it was more painful coming out of the other end than bike rides.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • I've witnessed 4 births and cycled over 100 miles so perhaps I can comment...

Calories - Sportive by a mile
    Weight loss - Giving birth, I've only lost a few pounds through not drinking enough
    Training - Sportive, any woman can give birth but not every man could cycle 100 miles
    Pain during - I don't think a little bit of chafing can compare
    Pain after - Unless someone fell off and cut themselves badly, you don't see needles and thread at a sportive but you do after giving birth :shock:
    Rewards - I like cycling but not that much :D
    Cost - Some sportives are getting a bit expensive now but again, do I need to say more??

I think that some of the other posters need to recognise what their partner actually goes through during childbirth :wink:

FCN : 4
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    ARob wrote:
    tough sportive or giving birth? in terms of calories burned, or other measures?

(not one for a Christams debate at home i suspect....) :roll:
    Sportives:
      A couple of days carbo loading. A handful of energy bars A few litres of energy drink. A couple of gel packs
    Total calories for 6 - 8 hrs: ~6000

Childbirth:Months of carbo loading on anthracite pizzas. Total calories for ~1 hr: millions!

Clearly chidbirth is the tougher.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Neil.b
    Neil.b Posts: 35
    GavH wrote:
    I watched the wife give birth. Didn't look that hard. Only lasted 48 mins and she had all sorts of pharmaceuticahels to take take the edge of it. Sure she moaned in pain quite a bit but to be fair she's never happier than when she's moaning about something so in essence she was clearly enjoying it. On the other hand I don't reckon she could cycle the length of our garden never mind a sportive. :roll:

That is the best post ever. :D
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    GavH wrote:

Forwarded message on to Mrs GavH :twisted: