Good XC Bike?

StreetJr
StreetJr Posts: 12
edited January 2009 in XC and Enduro
I am currently riding a GT Avalanche 2 which is average to be honest.
I am considering getting a full sus XC bike and the Kona four looks good for £500 Ish.

What do you think?

Cheers
Nick

Comments

• BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Consider that a lot of the kit on your GT is better than that on the Kona, plus the Kona will be heavier. I don't think the suspension will br very effetive either - the rear shock is very cheap. I would say either save a bit more, or put the 500 quid towards upgrading th GT.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • There is a rule of thumb which says don't spend less than £1000 on a fsr, and for good reason. You are already riding a bike which you say is less than satisfactory, why buy another one? Wait, save and get something you want and will keep. Trust me, it is worth it.
  • icedmind
    icedmind Posts: 206
    for 500quid i wouldnt go for a GT (new bike here im talkin abt)
    find a 07 or 08 spesh rockhopper which is about 50-100 quid more but it come wif much higher spec
    rockshox forks that have lock out n rebound n work properly
    9 spd groupset instead of 8 that come wif the GT
    avid juicy brakes

btw what bike u have now?
    08 Swork Stumpy FSR with 3 brains
    "2Brains. A Singletrack Mind ", from specialized <<<suppose if the rider doesnt have one
  • icedmind did you even read his 1st post? he has a gt now and is looking at getting a kona, i agrre with what ha sbeen said your better of saving a bit more cash up or upgrading your current bike, maybe have a look for a discounted full sus frame if your set on one and use your bits from the gt to build it up?
  • icedmind wrote:
    for 500quid i wouldnt go for a GT (new bike here im talkin abt)
    find a 07 or 08 spesh rockhopper which is about 50-100 quid more but it come wif much higher spec
    rockshox forks that have lock out n rebound n work properly
    9 spd groupset instead of 8 that come wif the GT
    avid juicy brakes

btw what bike u have now?

Gt avalanche 2.
    The kona looks a good bike to be honest BUT
    should i save another few hundred quid and get a 2007 marin quake 7.1?
    Cheers,
    Nick
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    the Kona and Marin are completely different - one is a budget XC bike, the other a very heavy freeride rig. If you want to go FS, you would definitely be beter off saving a little more - FS bikes start getting worthwhile at around 900 quid + IMO.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • 100%
    100% Posts: 236
    As BlackSpur says, two different bikes for two different styles of riding really.

Before you get anywhere near spending any money I personally think you really need to decide what exactly you want to use the bike for.

Cheers,
    Steve
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    I think you need a bike with a Pike.
    From XC to light FR.
  • I've owned a GT Avalanche 1 (last year) but upgraded to a full sus (guess what!) Kona Four. The Four is a fantastic frame for the money, light weight, scandium butted and just beautifully well made, even down to the little bits that hold the brake hoses to the frame!..You're getting the same frame on a Kona Four as you do on a Four Supreme, which is a 1900 pound bike..obviously a different rear shock. The rear shock on the four should be bad because its cheap...but its really not!..Its smooth, plush and there is absolutely no percieveable pedal bob..I fully expected to have to upgrade but I'm not going to bother. The stock brakes are shockingly bad (cheap cable discs) and the fork is a dart two, so pretty basic.., so if you were serious about a four I'd reccommend having enough aside for a brake upgrade at least. The gears are deore, which work perfectly so unless you're more bothered about the letters on your rear mech than how much you enjoy yourself on the trail, I'd leave well alone.
    The bike weighs about 30lb (18 inch) so thats pretty much the same as your GT..easy enough to reduce the weight over time if you can afford it, because the frame is pretty light. I can't recommend the full suss experience enough though..that full on exciting, confidence inspiring downhill whoosh! Ditch the avalanche and get a four! (it climbs ok too!)..and do n't listen to the 'don't get a full suss under £1000' brigade..its a lazy opinion generated by reading too many mountain biking magazines.

Shippington
  • Shipjack wrote:
    I've owned a GT Avalanche 1 (last year) but upgraded to a full sus (guess what!) Kona Four. The Four is a fantastic frame for the money, light weight, scandium butted and just beautifully well made, even down to the little bits that hold the brake hoses to the frame!..You're getting the same frame on a Kona Four as you do on a Four Supreme, which is a 1900 pound bike..obviously a different rear shock. The rear shock on the four should be bad because its cheap...but its really not!..Its smooth, plush and there is absolutely no percieveable pedal bob..I fully expected to have to upgrade but I'm not going to bother. The stock brakes are shockingly bad (cheap cable discs) and the fork is a dart two, so pretty basic.., so if you were serious about a four I'd reccommend having enough aside for a brake upgrade at least. The gears are deore, which work perfectly so unless you're more bothered about the letters on your rear mech than how much you enjoy yourself on the trail, I'd leave well alone.
    The bike weighs about 30lb (18 inch) so thats pretty much the same as your GT..easy enough to reduce the weight over time if you can afford it, because the frame is pretty light. I can't recommend the full suss experience enough though..that full on exciting, confidence inspiring downhill whoosh! Ditch the avalanche and get a four! (it climbs ok too!)..and do n't listen to the 'don't get a full suss under £1000' brigade..its a lazy opinion generated by reading too many mountain biking magazines.

Shippington

Cheers mate! I thought it looked a good bike and now you have confirmed it! Thanks!

I will probably buy the bike in the near future ( like a month or so) i am just going to keep riding for a bit longer on the GT. I can probably upgrade the brakes after a couple of weeks so that isnt a real hardship ! :D

Thanks alot!
    Nick
  • Shipjack wrote:
    I've owned a GT Avalanche 1 (last year) but upgraded to a full sus (guess what!) Kona Four. The Four is a fantastic frame for the money, light weight, scandium butted and just beautifully well made, even down to the little bits that hold the brake hoses to the frame!..You're getting the same frame on a Kona Four as you do on a Four Supreme, which is a 1900 pound bike..obviously a different rear shock. The rear shock on the four should be bad because its cheap...but its really not!..Its smooth, plush and there is absolutely no percieveable pedal bob..I fully expected to have to upgrade but I'm not going to bother. The stock brakes are shockingly bad (cheap cable discs) and the fork is a dart two, so pretty basic.., so if you were serious about a four I'd reccommend having enough aside for a brake upgrade at least. The gears are deore, which work perfectly so unless you're more bothered about the letters on your rear mech than how much you enjoy yourself on the trail, I'd leave well alone.

Shippington

Cheers mate! I thought it looked a good bike and now you have confirmed it! Thanks!

I will probably buy the bike in the near future ( like a month or so) i am just going to keep riding for a bit longer on the GT. I can probably upgrade the brakes after a couple of weeks so that isnt a real hardship ! :D

Thanks alot!
    Nick