Bodmin to Exeter - anyone know a good route?

eteb
eteb Posts: 32
edited January 2009 in Tour & expedition
I'm thinking of cycling Bodmin-Exeter on the last weekend of the holiday.

Does anyone have any good suggested routes?

Or can you tell me what the roads are like? How busy, pleasant to ride, etc. especially the B3212 across Dartmoor.

Any advice much appreciated. Happy Christmas.

Comments

• eteb wrote:
    I'm thinking of cycling Bodmin-Exeter on the last weekend of the holiday.

Does anyone have any good suggested routes?

Or can you tell me what the roads are like? How busy, pleasant to ride, etc. especially the B3212 across Dartmoor.

Any advice much appreciated. Happy Christmas.

Try using the bike option on www.viamichelin.com it generates bike friendly routes.

You can also seek advice on the touring forums of the ctc web site.

Try the forum link from the CTC site http://www.ctc.org.uk/ there's a few cyclists who are relatively local to your proposed route.
  • eteb
    eteb Posts: 32
    Thanks for that - I'll look at CTC.

Edward
  • Thooms
    Thooms Posts: 66
    Sorry to dig this up, but I ride the B3212 quite regularly, particularly the stretch from Moretonhampstead to Exeter.

It's a gorgeous road with stunning views, but there are some truly killer climbs on it. Recommended though, it's a beautiful (if tough!) ride.

coming off the moor there's a steep drop followed by a left hand turn - there's a cattle grid right after than so it's worth bearing it in mind!

Also, you go past a cider barn on your left down a very fast 16% drop, but there's a pretty sharp left hander at the bottom where car drivers sometimes come onto the wrong side of the road.

It's great though, just be prepared for a lot of climbing.

A ride I do regularly is to Moretonhampstead on the 3212, then down to Bovey Tracey on the A382, through Newton Abbot, Teignmouth and Dawlish, and then back to Exeter that way on the coast road, through Starcross etc. A bit less punishing than the other route, though more traffic (a lot more so than on the B3212).