SPORTIVE TRAINING RIDE. South Bham and North Worcs. 3rd Jan

The Third Beacon Winter Sportive Ride - 3rd January

'To The Goggin and Back'

Here is the third event in our sportive training series. Its purpose is to provide base miles in readiness for next season. It is also our last group ride. The next event in the series is the Beacon RCC's Sunrise and Snowdrop Audax on 7th February. All are welcome, albeit at your own liability.

The Route

Bromsgrove - Starting at Speeds Cycles, Birmingham Road. 08.45
Arley
Clee Hill
Ludlow
The Goggin
Tenbury
Stanford Bridge
Stourport
Chaddesley. Make your way home from here.

See: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Be ... 3rd-jan-09

The Hills :twisted:

The is a lumpy ride with some notable climbs en-route. Within a few miles, we start with the grind up Shatterford Bank, quickly followed by Arley Bank. You will need low gears to ascent the short but sharp 20% climb at Oreton which is the prelude for a long gradual ascent to Clee Hill. Perhaps the longest continuous climb of the day follows Ludlow. A quick descent followed by the sharp ascent up and over The Goggin. We have a few easy miles until we hit the two drags following Tenbury on the way up to Hanley Broadheath, which in itself includes a short 20% section. The final serious climb is to be found after Stanford Bridge up and onto the Abberleys.

The distance

83 miles, 134km distance; 1,698m, 5,623ft of ascent.

Target silver time and pace.

4h38m.16s; 5h20m1s of cycling. Average speed range: 28.89kph/17.89mph to 25.12kph/15.56mph.

The aim is to ride within these speed ranges. If you are too slow or too fast, please be prepared to be dropped and navigate your own way home. We will of course stop for mechanicals. It would be nice to keep within a group but that is not always practicable. You will need to find you own way home from Chaddesley Corbett.

Food

Bring your own food and drink. We will not be stopping at cafes though it will be possible to pick up food and refreshments at Clee Hill, Ludlow and Tenbury.

Bad Weather Alternatives

If the weather is poor, we could always join the 50 mile ride from Speeds starting at 9am. If roads are simply icy, the gritted alternative simply misses out The Goggin.

If you have any queries, please let me know. 01562 731606.

Look forward to seeing you.

Philip Whiteman
Beacon Roads Cycling Club
www.beaconrcc.org.uk

Comments

• I am afraid that I am unable to ride due to a chest infection and unable to find a substitute leader. Sadly, I will have to POSTPONE this event.

Sorry.

I will try to find an alternative date in late January and will post a message on this board

All the best for the New Year

PHILIP WHITEMAN

www.beaconrcc.org.uk