Tenerife Cycle Routes?

jnr_seahorse
jnr_seahorse Posts: 50
edited December 2008 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

I am off to Tenerife next week for some winter sun. I'm taking the bike and hoping to sneak out for a couple of rides. Does anybody have any good rides from the south of the island?

Cheers

Ben

Comments

• Ben

Have a quick look at the tenerife training site - they recommend 3 areas for good cycling. There's certainly 1 in the south west that looks great. Could you post when you get back as I'm off there in January and would like to know the lay of the land.

Cheers
    Malcolm
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • Thanks for the replies. The majority of the riding on the Tenerife Training site is orientated around their base in Puerto de la cruz. I do however like the sound of the ride through Masca which I have also found mentioned elsewhere. I'll probably give this a go. If anybody has any more southerly suggestions please let me know.

Malcolm I'll post an update here when I return and let you know how I got on. I'm certainly looking forward to not having to strap on the overshoes and waterproofs!

Ben
  • I'm certainly looking forward to not having to strap on the overshoes and waterproofs!

Don't go up Tiede then - I think you might regret not having them if you do!

Enjoy your trip and look forward to hearing all about it on your return.
    Cheers
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hi,

I am off to Tenerife next week for some winter sun. I'm taking the bike and hoping to sneak out for a couple of rides. Does anybody have any good rides from the south of the island?

Cheers

Ben

Go for Teide....its a long long haul but superb...ride from Los Christianos...up though Arona...onto Vilaflour...then finally onto Boca Tauce for the ride through the Las Canadas Crater....then just simply descend the same way....DO NOt ride down to Chio as that roads abismal and will near wreck your bike...should be good weather the now...

I've did a small write up of the Teide climb:-

This was my account of the ascent of Mount Teide from the Southern Approach..for me this was more difficult than any Pyrenean/Alpine etc adventure i'd embarked on.

I must say that Tenerife has a bad image due to the ugly Las Americas resorts etc...but after cycling a good bit of the island I have to say I was absolutely stunned by the sheer beauty of the island...it really has so much diversity...and the north of the island looks even better!...Heres my first experience:-

Up early at 6.30am...to get to the foot of the climb (Los Christianos) I had a bloody great big drag of a climb out of my resort...I then had to negotiate 10kms of Motorway...what a real dangerous road that is!...anyway lost all the height gained dropping into Los Christianos...started the climb...around 8am...I was on the pretty busy TF-28 for around 4km's...around 6% average gradient...then I turned onto the TF-51 and headed for Arona.....the road was quiet,well surfaced -bliss!...As I was heading into Arona I got attacked by a small legged dog and it was really wanting to dig its bits into me..Never knew I could big ring it so fast going uphill ....it got a bit steeper here ~9%...anyway I was sweating like a pig and nearly emptied 1 1/2 litres of water so the 1st of 2 planned stops were here...got 2 more litres of liquid...uptil now I had cycled up around 9kms...Arona sits at 600meters....off again and when leaving Arona I seen the sign for the next stop - Vilaflor 17km's!....here we go I thought, the road uptil Vilaflor was gorgeous...so much different scenery...with tons of switchbacks which stretched up the mountain as far as you could see....I was feeling great...getting all those excited feelings about feeling so good....never pushing too hard but a good cadence was going it must be said.....the switchbacks turned into long straight drags...and It felt like I had been climbing forever....the sun was terrifyingly hot now and there was a stream pouring off me..I then seen the Pine trees, I was now heading into the Carona Forest where Vilaflor is situated....after an eternity I came into Vilaflor...Vilaflor's the highest village in Europe(if you incude this as Europe at 1450 meters)....I had been climbing now 26 km's...the gradient had been sustained between 5-9%.....2 more litres of water were bought here, a few gels and bars here aswell...seen 2 other cyclists who had came up the otherway...2 race whippets by the looks of them...they pointed to me indicate which way I was heading...when I pointed up they just gave me the your crazy 'pointiing index finger at there head' gesture...they then sped off downhill....I plodded on...I was now on the TF-21 which takes me right upto and through the 'Las Canadas' Crater...seen the sign for Boca Tauce(this is the end of the climb)...16km's!....jesus I had been climbing solid for 26km's and still had 16km's to go....longest climb I'd ever did before was the Croix De Fer (29km's).....so now I was in uncharted territory...but I still felt strong....probably a bit smug I was because this mountain was very shortly going to kick my gonads stupid....I knew the next 5km's were the steepest parts of the climb...13% sections.....well there was difference straight away after Vilaflor...I was completely shaded in the Forest but the road really kicked up...seen the kilometer roadsigns were counting down and at Vilaflor they were TF-21 ( 68 km)...so roughly calculated Boca Tauce was around the 52 kilometer mark...these kilometer signs are great when feeling good but become a psycological nightmare when suffering...as the steep ramps started I started to feel the power draining...these ramps went on and on...with soul destroying long straights at 10%....it started to become a real struggle....I now started to hate the kilo signs....then that frightening weak feeling started to come one....still had ages to go aswell...not good!...the next 5kms descended into a struggle for survival...between kilo signs 66 - 60 I suffered terribly...you know what I mean....then the cramps started...1st the right leg then the left...had to 'honk' out the saddle to get through this.....my legs were now feeling numb...the steeper 6kms after Vilaflor had done the damage...the road levelled off to around 7% again but too late -my legs were shot......started to shake slightly....such an effort...strange feeling this is....I don't know what hurt in me...It wasnt my legs or Lungs...I just think I was ALL hurt....was in 30x24 and could not get a bigger gear going even on the 7% gradient...this 7% went on for ages and it was now all in my head...I was now into the 50's km signs....at least I was in the right dec...and into single kms to go....it was around here a guy and wife were taking a video of the scenery and seen me cycling up...he waved at me as if for me to wave back....hand't even the energy...just wanted to get to the top....I was wondering what altitude I was at -reckoned around 1900meters or so then I turned the corner and the road flattened...then went down! I descended 2 km's off this then seen the sign 'El Retamer 2100meters'.....yipee!...where the road had flattened was the 2200meters mark...descended to Boca Tauce after a few pics...what a stunning place....have attached a few photo's of Teide..felt rather sick and to be honest pretty scared by the experience so wanted back home ASAP....couldnt even be bothered to take any real decent photo's...descended off the western side of the mountain....what a real crappy road.....made the lake district roads look top notch!...anyway had to stop for Cola/Fruit on the descent...was it nice to drink that cold cola in that oven...and I got a big slice of Water Melon to go aswell...lovely...took me around 1 1/2 hours to descend fully off the mountain....

Facts:-
    40 km's of continous climb....no flat at all.
    2200 meters ascent.

Scenery:-
    Awesome....couldn't beleive the diversity of this climb....from arid desert like(hotel california) scenery to Lush Dense Forests...then onto the surface of the Moon!...thought it was the best scenery until I visited Masca!

Experience.
    Started off great and confident - Finished off in tatters!...the climb really put me on the edge...would never have managed it if feeling dodgy...tougher than any Alpine/Pyrenean climbs i've did...Christ it was way tougher than Ventoux (IMO)and it takes me a lot to say that!...just such a huge climb....and I stopped off for 5min breaks twice on this......can only really think of one or 2 climbs(in Hawai) which are bigger.....

Think this island would be perfect for that winter break...excellent temperature all the year round...not to be underestimated...very tough cycling everywhere...you don't have to do the mammoth Teide ascent all the time as there a other smaller mountain ranges which offer super scenery/road structures...including the Teno Mountain range...where my next experience lay...sadly never got to the Anaga Mountain range but that is also supposedly stunning.

I got great advice from Leslie Brown from http://www.tenerife-training.net/
    He runs a cycling business over in the North of the island and has a cracking fleet of bikes etc for hire.

Id also recommend the Masca loop...I simply got a taxi to transport me and bike to Santiago Del Teide...then I hopped on the bike and did the loop Anti - Clockwise....up and over the Erjos Pass then the crazy descent into Garachico before riding along the coast to BuenaVista Norte...then the climb upto Masca (900meter climb)...the roads change dramatically before Masca and steepen bigtime...20%....you then plunge into Masca (one of the nicest places Ive ever ventured)...then youve got a real brute of a climb back out...Id put the steepness on Par with the Mortirolo...it certainly had me in my triple 30 x 27 lowest gear....4km brute climbing 440meters....its the craziest climb ever...zig zagging all over the place...then a brillaint plunge back down to Santiago Del Teide...you can then basically climb one more smaller hill then descend all the way to Los Chrsitianos/Costa Adeje....I also did a small write up:-

This was my 2nd time out on the bike after my Mount Teide ascent...it was based around the Teno Mountain Range:- Can't put the scenery into words...simply special! The climbs here were steeper than Teide but mercifully not as long....heres my account:-

The Masca route was the other highly anticipated ride I had planned....its a very famous place...supposedly one of the loveliest places on earth...a small hamlet in a deep gorge in the Teno mountains of Tenerife....the route I was doing is known as the deadly triangle or something scary like that.......I was doing it anti-clockwise which means I had the very steep climb from Masca...4km's...9%/12%/10%/12%......11% average...

Up at 5.45am...got ready and got taxi from resort upto Santiago Del Teide...950meters up and around 25kms away...no way would I ride up the TF-82 on my bike to get there...far too busy with traffic....real dangerous.

Anyway on my bike for 7.30am...was pretty cold and had an immediate 250meters climb to get to the highest point on the road - Erjos Pass...1150meters...up and over here...layer of cloud below me -lovely...descended off this to the town El Tanque...took me around 30mins descent....then I turned and went down the crazy mental switchbacks to the town of Garachico..........really impressive!

Then I headed along the coast to Buenavista Norte which is the starting point for the climb upto Masca...got a cracking photo of the mountains as Im heading into them -daunting!...you will se the photo I mean.

Reached Buenavista Norte and started the climb to Masca - 17kms, 900 meteres ascent..lots of switchbacks...gradient around same as Teide ~7% ish.

Climbed right up the valley...passed through a few villages and felt very strong.....then i seen the top of this pass...was a huge big switchback to get there -lovely....when I reached the top of this pass(around 900meters) the terrain changed dramatically...no more gentle valley slopes...the otherside of the pass went down at around 18% and the road was built on the sheer face of a cliff...and it changed into a single road......really shoot myself I tell you...the wind would have lifted you off the bike at this pass...then I seen a bloody bus passing by..a BUS!....the road descends around 100meters sharply then ascends even steeper to another high point........descended this then climbed out the otherside...20% sections no problem....real contrast to Teide....when I got to this next high point the scenery near knocked me on my ars*.....gobsmackingly gorgeous...really special it was.....and in the very heart of the Gorge sat Masca....it was like that Miccu Piccu in Peru...I stopped here at this viewpoint for ages....then I descended the very steep 180meters into Masca....took a few videos here...started to get a few funny looks of the hikers...they knew where I was going and they had just came down it....after a few breathtaking experiences I went for it...this road is probably the most spectacular road i've ever cycled up...the way it meanderes around a cliff face is staggering....crazy switchbacks...in all different directions -mental!...Well I wondered if I would need my bottom gear 30x27?...I've only ever had to use it once abroad(a bad day on the Col Tourmalet)...all other climbs abroad I've managed on the 30x24...even the brutal Ski Station 'Pla D Adet'....well you will know on my 1st switchback seen me on the 30x27!....easily 20+%....the steep ramps/swiitchbacks came one after another...cars coming down were shaking there heads seeing me cycle up......went on for ages...maybe only 4kms long but it was a long 4kms!...such ferocious ramps....but I was feeling good....must have taken me over half hour to ascend and it really steepened up for the last km....got a round of applause from german tourists when I reached the top...but I was well happy i'd made it....way steeper than anything else abroad i've did but it was magic....funny I saying to myself on the climb....this is murder but just think Hardknott/Rosedale Chimney etc....that starts to make your brain think its more an acceptable gradient.......youll see how steep the bugger is...at the otherside of the valley on the same photo youll see the road I descended into Masca....

Anyway after this its was another steep decent into Santiago Teide before the final 300meter climb out of Santiago Del Teide(where I started) before the long drop down to my resort.

Pictures don't do this region justice...it was gorgeous....another unforgettable experience!

Tenerife has some outstanding cycling...not a place for a small trundle...my small trundle through the week included one of the small hills ~ 650meters!.....its for some real challenges....and I've still yet to get upto the Anaga Mountain range......and the North side of Tenerife is totally different aswell....all green and jungle like....will have to return for more torture!

The Masca route was very hard and included some 2000meters ascent...but it was way easier(even with the steep ramps) than the ascent of Teide...that was 3 1/2 hours torture!

If I could I would simply urge fellow cyclists to have a pop at this island...treat it with the same respect you would give a continental Mountain Holiday...forget the bad rep given with Las Americas etc...95% of the island is spectacular...and being honest Mount Teide is one of those 'must do' challenges out there...and Masca/Teno Mountain range is the most beautiful place i've ever been...I think?
  • Thanks Richyboy, those write ups are just what I wanted to hear. Can't wait to get cycling now! :D I've packed up the bike in the bikebag this afternoon ready for an early departure on Boxing day.

I'll report back in a week.
  • Hi, where about are you staying?

I was out there last week and did five days of cycling, starting from San Miguel in the south which is above the airport.

richyboy has some good info - San Miguel to the beach, up to the cable car at Tiede and back to San Miguel was 2700m climbing, with a single climb of 2100m - pretty serious, equivalent of anything in the alps, but has to be done. The San Miguel - Granidilla - Arico - Fasnia road is maybe the flatest ride you can find - just 1500m or so of undulating climb over 100km. Good route though.

From Los Cristianos / las americas the coast road north to Santiago del tiede then loop back on the inner road T82 is also a good run, maybe running to Masca as described below

I'd use bikeroutetoaster to get the profile and by realistic about climbing. In the UK I tend to think in terms of distance - 140km is a good ride 160 is a long ride. On tenerife you can find yourself doing 2500m inside 80kms, so 100km is a toughy.

I stayed with http://www.cyclingtenerife.com/ Nice people. Geoff does medium paced tours (50-70 euros or something), so thats an option I guess. There are a few roads to avoid as the surfaces are a mess (as again richyboy mentions)

Cheers

Jon