UCI request doubling of Vino's ban

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited December 2008 in Pro race
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id= ... /dec22news

Let's hope they never fall for the Mancebo gambit again, eh?
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• The UCI prevail at CAS and the Kazakh's pull Astana's sponsorship.
    Much wailing and gnashing of teeth from a certain quarter.
    I can seriously see that happening in the current economic climate.
    Pat McQuaid better be careful what he wishes for.
    Still, a more interesting topic than that load of scary siht. :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Interesting scenario.

But it probably won't come to that.

No one wanted to play my "teams at risk" game a few days ago. Sigh.

I'll put you down for Astana
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    I hope that they DONT extend Vino's ban.

I'm really hoping he thinks he can get back to riding professionally come spring. Will Astana take him on board?

Would the ASO have the courage to not invite Astana to the TdF if they choose to ride Vino? (I know this is extremely unlikely, but hey it could make for some interesting press).
  • mwo
    mwo Posts: 57
    Blazing - you were fairly convinced there would be a deal that saw Vino's ban upped to 18 months. Do you still think this is a possibility, or are the UCI going to follow this through? It's nice easy "we're taking a hard line" PR for them isn't it?

I don't want to see Vino back, but it'd teach the UCI not to fall for the Mancebo gambit again, and the fallout from him riding for Astana would be, erm, interesting.
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    The UCI prevail at CAS and the Kazakh's pull Astana's sponsorship.
    Much wailing and gnashing of teeth from a certain quarter.
    I can seriously see that happening in the current economic climate.
    Pat McQuaid better be careful what he wishes for.
    Still, a more interesting topic than that load of scary siht. :wink:

I think the Kazakhs are more bullheaded than to drop it, especially when they've started to get their young riders on the squad properly, and with the national proteam thing bubbling under from the UK I think there's definitely interest in using a national identity to sell brands into other territories.

I reckon you're right on the settling for 18 months deal at CAS - fudging the old backdating of bans to date of notifications with the new more hard line. There'll be no surprise if the usual watery defence comes out of the UCI and we get to watch them wave their hands about and say "we tried our hardest" as CAS disagrees with them.
  • mwo wrote:
    Blazing - you were fairly convinced there would be a deal that saw Vino's ban upped to 18 months. Do you still think this is a possibility, or are the UCI going to follow this through? It's nice easy "we're taking a hard line" PR for them isn't it?

I don't want to see Vino back, but it'd teach the UCI not to fall for the Mancebo gambit again, and the fallout from him riding for Astana would be, erm, interesting.

Sorry I'm slow in replying to this. Mucho busy day.
    Yes, I'm still inclined to believe there will be some sort of "settlement" of 18 months.
    I see leguape tends to agree, also.
    Pat McNut is dealing with a tough lot and he has a vested interested. Astana are his flagship team, so he won't want them walking away.
    Compromise first but, if all else fails, I can see them Kazakh's playing financial hardball.
  • But wait a minute this isnt about you now who and you guys are talking badly about him i was lead to believe that all dopers were hailed as heroes on this forum except for him that shall not be named :shock:

sorry for going OT fellas, The intresting one will be the ASO. If Astana keep looking this dodgy they may never race a TdF again :wink:
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
    6288 Posts: 131
    Even if Vino does cause Astana to go tits up Bruyneel & co will still be at the Giro & Tour ... the riders wages are gauranteed with the UCI deposit (and given that half the sqaud are Kazakh no hopers who can be kicked to the kerb) ... With LA and Contador on board Trek and any subsidiary sponsore will make sure they get there ...
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    Since Vino hasn't even made his way back to the team, why should Astana be banned again from ASO's races?

SL had Leukemans with a positive dope test last year, yet Cadel and his team were free to ride this year, not to even mention Rabobank&ex-T-Mobile/now Columbia scandals....
    :shock:

someone remind me again about SL's AD program......... afaik, there isn't one.....
  • Ummm Vino made the ASO look like a bunch of dummies and it will be a cold day in hell before they let him race in there events again (rightly or wrongly). I think there is a bit of a difference between some caught doping and someone caught doping has a hissy fit says hes never going to race again copes light setence then comes back after only 1 year. Asatana cant sign this guy without looking dodgy full stop.
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    Ummm Vino made the ASO look like a bunch of dummies and it will be a cold day in hell before they let him race in there events again (rightly or wrongly). I think there is a bit of a difference between some caught doping and someone caught doping has a hissy fit says hes never going to race again copes light setence then comes back after only 1 year. Asatana cant sign this guy without looking dodgy full stop.

That's my point! They haven't even signed him, yet you want to crucify the team because Vino want's to come back!!

How dummy did Ricco, Kohl & Schumi make ASO look this year??? They refused to invite the defending champ because of the teams past dope history, and yet they ended up with a huge scandal again.......
    On the bright side, they accidently made Contador a legend!! :lol:
  • The teams basically said yep we will take him, that a mistake. Kohl, Ricco admitted what they did and got their two year bans. Schuey is fighting it and will end up like Vino. No one wants these guys back because they are unrepentent dopers and seem to be twisting the rules to suit themselves. I dont think i have said anywhere that i want to crucify anyone, ive speculated on what the ASO will do but thats it. You certainly seem to have a bee in your bonnet dont you. Astana wasnt invited because for two years straight they made the race a mockery so the ASO made examples of them. Gerolstiner are no more but always had a clean image and might have got invited if they where around but i will be very surprised if Fuji get a wildcard entry for the TdF or most of the ASO events.
  • If you read the article, you will be reminded of Astana's history, pre Bruyneel.

Look, this has nothing to do with loving or hating Astana and it is just speculation at this point.

The team was set up for Vino by mates in the Kazakh government. As far as I'm aware, they hold the PT licence.
    It's not a giant leap to see where things could end up, if there is no chance of him returning, given the current recession etc.

Yes, if the pull funding, I could see Trek, Tailwind, et al, coming up with a rescue package.
    I'm not sure what would happen with that licence, though.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Would be fuckin tragic if vino got back for the spring...he'd win at races...but Bruyneel has said once the 2 years is up Vino could be back at Astana. JB should not have Vino back and LA will do himself no good having Vino in the teams pics and reports with him. IMO LA will go his own way autumn 2009 to protect his image , maybe race but not at Astana..will establish his own team for which he will work and/or ride...
  • I think that Bruyneel should to say to the Kazaks "what do you want? You will have 3 (arguably) of the best stage racers in the team already you could win all 3 grand tours & enjoy the huge publicity you will get from that or you can force me to take Vino back & risk not being invited to the biggest of them, the tour de france plus all the negative reminders Vino will bring"
    Although ASO could just exclude them bringing certain individual riders if it comes to it.