Alpine cols - challenging supported tours - !

JamesB
JamesB Posts: 1,184
Dear All.... :)

Does anyone know of tour companies that would provide the following :?: ; a supported `tour` of major Alps cols, about a 1 to 2 week holiday, fully supported, staying at accommodation range from camping to reasonable hotels; fairly challenging (on a par with Trans pyrenean C2C for example 70-100 miles / day , up to 3-4000 m climbing, which I rode last year and thoroughly enjoyed).

At the moment I`ve seen the Bike Adventures tour and the `extreme` CCC ride :D:D ,
thanks

James

Comments

• nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Sports Tours International do a few, including the Raid Alpine. This is the Alpine equivalent of the Raid Pyrenean. Having enjoyed that the Alpine equivalent is next on my list.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Thanks---anyone ridden the Raid Alpine? how would it compare to Raid Pyrenean
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    A german company, Carrousel Sport, do 1 and 2 week supported tours in the French Alps along the lines you seek, for between 700-1700 Euros, depending on whether 1 or 2 weeks and whether a shared or single room. All rooms with en-suite.

That’s half-board, food at feed stops during the day, Logis de France category hotels, technical and medical service as necessary (two minibusses accompany the riders), and a commemorative cycling jersey and shorts, handed over at the beginning of the holiday (you state your size when booking).

Last year the 2-week distance was almost 1900 km with over 40,000 meters climbing, including about 20 cols (the main famous ones like Galibier and Bonette included) and 4-6 summit finishes (incl. Alpe d’Huez and Mont Ventoux).

Start point is Auris near Bourg d’Oisans, and you have to find your own way there unless coming from southern Germany (Carrousel run a coach from Freiburg for an extra ca. 150 Euro return).

Pity the pound has fallen so much just recently against the Euro.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    This looks like a rip off but have a look at http://www.veloski.com/bike-tours/route ... ndes-alpes as it features the North to South "Route des Grandes Alpes" which is worth a look at, you can probably find better value tours.
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    Try GPM10 Chamionix to Nice ride: http://www.gpm10.com/
    It's only 4 days though - most of their trips are just long weekends, but are very well supported, fairly fast and some are long-ish days - depending on which trip you choose. I've done their Clasic Cols, Haute Savoie, Tour du Mont Blanc and Chamonix to Nice trips, and all are superb, but the Chamonix to Nice trip is the best for longer days in the saddle and really amazing scenery. He only takes small groups - up to 10 maximum on the Chamonix-Nice trip. There were only 5 on our trip last year, but the trips are full up this year until September, so you'll have to book now if you want a place on that one.

If you went a longer trip why not do the September Tour Du Mont Blanc trip followed by Chamonix-Nice? I couldn't get away from work to do both last year, but my partbner went to do TDMB first, then I joined him for the Chamonix-Nice trip two days after TDMB finished.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    I did the Raid Pyreneen a couple of years ago with below:

http://www.bikepyrenees.com/tours/ppraid.htm

Most fun I have had riding a bike to date (despite the occasional rain and snow..) Nick Flanagan who runs it is an ex-racer who's been living in the area for many years now and takes very good care of his riders.

If thinking of a tour in the Alps I would recommend considering the other leg of the "Raid Alpine" sometimes called the randonee leman-adriatique or "Raid Dolomite"
    http://bikeevasion.chez.com/alpes.htm (in French I am afraid, but gives route)

Its a 10 day tour that takes you from Lake Leman to the Adriatique. I reckon it scores over its sister leg because it takes you through more countries and more varied scenery, the transition from the Alps to the Dolomites really is a nice contrast. Its also longer and tougher plus its got the Stelvio (albeit you climb up the "other" side). And if you are feeling really keen you can make a short detour up the Zoncolan on the last full day.

Sporting Tours are running one next year.
    Martin S. Newbury RC