-27 degrees and great fun!!

topcat33
topcat33 Posts: 57
edited December 2008 in The bottom bracket
Hi All,

I'm a long time rider and commuter from the UK "enjoying" my first winter in Canada (Calgary).

Today was -27 and there's loads of snow and ice on the ground, being British, I just had to go out in it!!

I was going to buy some ice tyres a while ago but they're quite expensive so I made my own with a few steel screws and a lot of patience. I only have one on the front for now to see how it goes.

I have to say it's the most fun I've had i ages, plenty of grip in deep snow, the snow is dry here so no slush and even on slick ice the front wheel didn't slip once.

I'm tempted to cycle on one of the frozen lakes here as well.

Comments

• Git!
    I went to Lake Louise last January, best skiing ever.
    -27, so much for Global Warming!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • I've Canoed around Lake Louise but not when it's -27 :D
    more a nice summers day. 8)
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    topcat33 wrote:

I'm tempted to cycle on one of the frozen lakes here as well.

Not wanting to be a kill joy but please talk to the locals first as they will tell you if the Ice should be OK. also get some of those spike things to help get out of the hole in the ice.

Oh and spiked tyres and out door Ice Rinks rule.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I want to try it out on a lake but theres a sensible side of me that say's don't do it! Not yet anyway......

There's a community ice rink near us, I'll try the tyres out on there until I get brave enough. I'm surprised how well the home made spiked tyres work, gives me a lot more confidence on the corners.
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    I'm coming to Calgary in Feb then up to Banff for some skiing. Looks like I need more thermal underwear :D
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    A m8 of mine is currently living in Calgary - they had a mild November (only -10°C) but it dropped to -45° a fortnight ago. (They had a few nights of -55°C last year) You'll definitely need the thermals!

Oh, if the bike couriers in the city disappear ( normally by about -28°C), its a good idea to head indoors. At that stage your body can't warm the incoming air quick enough to avoid damage to the nasal passages and lungs.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'