Clamp-on shifter bosses

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited December 2008 in Road general
I'm attempting to modernise my Mercian Audax (see pic), well sort of, I'm trying to replace the down tube shifters with Campagnolo ergo levers BUT my frame doesn't have bosses for modern shifters, I see that Harris Cyclery have a clamp on double boss device, does anyone know if you can get these in the UK or of any other ways to achieve the same effect.

audax_special_vl_1.jpg

cah51.jpg
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAMPAGNOLO-CABLE- ... 240%3A1318

Wouldn't they do the job you need doing?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • itboffin
    Afraid not my Audax frame is older than the one in the picture and has no braze on points for those, if only it were so easy.

Thanks anyway.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I see your problem now, I was just going off the photo, thinking you'd have those braze-ons.

How about this:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Sunt ... p-1372.htm

???
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • itboffin
    I saw that one but what's the weird curved bit?

I have these at the moment

5483BC0B-A538-4B97-A665-BE4A64CE4CD0.jpeg

I think I need something like this

08FD4EFD-5C43-4FB5-B76B-279CB8EE1DC3.jpeg

I want to fit a 10 speed cassette and double chainset, down shifters would be difficult on the hills and I'm not even sure you can use friction shifters for 10 speed.
  • KM2
    KM2 Posts: 147
    I have placed an ergo stop on the boss where the gear lever fits. Take off the levers and see if the stops fit.
  • itboffin
    KM2 wrote:
    I have placed an ergo stop on the boss where the gear lever fits. Take off the levers and see if the stops fit.

I'm not sure I follow you?

I not sure what I was thinking but my old down shifters are Shimano, trippy :shock:

Anyway they are history on this bike at least.
  • KM2
    KM2 Posts: 147
    I had a Shimano down tube set of levers, I unscrewed the screw and took off the rear gear lever and then put a campag ergo stop where the lever fitted. screwing it in place.
    It was on a Mercian, but thats not important.
  • itboffin
    KM2 wrote:
    I had a Shimano down tube set of levers, I unscrewed the screw and took off the rear gear lever and then put a campag ergo stop where the lever fitted. screwing it in place.
    It was on a Mercian, but thats not important.

That's a coincidence as I just took mine apart and wonder if the ergo stop would fit, is it the same one as in reddraggons picture?

6651_1_b.JPG
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    surely all you need is the band-on fitting part from some friction down tube shifters like in the picture above together with the ergo stops which will fit over the friction bosses.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    itboffin wrote:
    I saw that one but what's the weird curved bit?

This is a cable guide for the downtube and fits above the BB shell, the curved bit guides the cable upto the front mech and the other side allows a short piece of cable outer for the rear mech cable to be taken round the BB.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • itboffin
    edited December 2008
    Thanks folks I think between your sage advice and suggestions I now have a solution, I'll try it out in the morning.

Heads up on this frame I came across whilst research parts for this problem.

item number 350140600259

What a bargain, I would but Mrs ITB would kill me.
  • redvee
    itboffin wrote:

MTFU, who wears the trousers in the house? Obviously she does :lol:
  • itboffin
    redvee wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Well it's only fair seeing as I wear the panties and bras, oh wait this isn't the SCR, Redvee stop leading me astray. :lol:
  • redvee
    itboffin wrote:
    redvee wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Well it's only fair seeing as I wear the panties and bras, oh wait this isn't the SCR, Redvee stop leading me astray. :lol:

You should keep the activities you do in the forest whilst dressed above to yourself, it gets embarrasing. Not that I speak from experience :lol:
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    All my band on mounts have the same end fitting as a braze on. Therefore the little adjusters as seen inthe pic abopve fit just the same as if they were on braze ons. Thats what I do on 1 bike.