Nant Y Arian Route advice required for beginners

ianrams
ianrams Posts: 51
edited December 2008 in MTB beginners
Having taken up MTB again (with my 9 year old son) after 15 years off, we have spent the summer riding locally (up to 10 miles road) and the two smaller routes (9 and 16 Km) around Nant-Y-Arian complex. We'd like to try the Syfrydin route which they say is 35Km long but want to know if there are super long climbs anywhere on the route. I'm aware of the Leg Burner but are there any others on the route? We're not quite up to big climbs yet but want to continue our progress.

Many thanks in advance.

Ian
Specialized Rockhopper Expert Disc 2009

Comments

• devs
    devs Posts: 9
    The leg burner is the worst as far as i can recall. good route. Enjoy.
  • Thanks, we'll give it a go.

Ian
    Specialized Rockhopper Expert Disc 2009
  • Jimbo.
    Jimbo. Posts: 124
    ianrams wrote:
    Having taken up MTB again (with my 9 year old son) after 15 years off, we have spent the summer riding locally (up to 10 miles road) and the two smaller routes (9 and 16 Km) around Nant-Y-Arian complex. We'd like to try the Syfrydin route which they say is 35Km long but want to know if there are super long climbs anywhere on the route. I'm aware of the Leg Burner but are there any others on the route? We're not quite up to big climbs yet but want to continue our progress.

Many thanks in advance.

Ian

The Legburner is the largest single climb, however I find the longer (albeit a lot more gradual and "staged") climb that starts *around* Bont Goch to be more bothersome. Don't know why: it just irks me, and thus seems more exhausting.

That, and the second half of the Legburner after Spaghetti Junction!

If you can do the 'Burner, you'll be fine :)
  • Ian,

I know you from somewhere or i think i do!!! The Syfydrin Trail takes in more of the countryside that Nant-Y-Arian has to offer and takes you out on the more exposed bit with some tasty double track, it can also be a bit of a slog and theres some long drawn out climbs, However it does take in some of the manmade singletrack of the other routes.

None of the climbs on the Syfrydin are as long as the leg burner that goes on forever.

Cheers