tips for cornering and descending on a fixed

Haynes
Haynes Posts: 670
edited January 2009 in Road general
First off i am a really really cr@p descender even on a freewheel but on a fixed i'm totally hopeless.

Went out the other night with a group, one other lad was on a fixed and could easily mix it with the geared boys. I was getting dropped on every descent and bend. It was dark, muddy and slippery too.

Firstly i slow right down, back pedaling and try to keep the bike upright. What did help my descending on a freewheel is keeping the weight down on the outside pedal but obviously that technigue does not apply to fixed riding. I also dont like building up too much speed on a descent because it just keeps gathering more and more momentum and all that means its gonna take a lot lot longer to slow down. Having said all that i do like riding fixed though.

One tip this other lad gave me was to keep the power on in a corner rather than holding back, seemed to help a bit but i need more practice.

So are there any more tips to cornering on a fixed? Do you lean and whats the secret?
<hr><font>The trick is not MINDING that it hurts.</font>

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Try and stay loose on the pedals on descents rather than 'fighting' it with back pressure - if you need better control on descents, fit a back brake - you'll gain more from getting a smoother pedalling action and faster cadence
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Close your eyes and spin your legs like a crazy fool and hope you stay attached.

I tried fixed for one day and found the whole experience "disturbing" maybe one day but for now I'll stick to my single speed.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I had descending problems too when I first started riding fixed. It was like a mental block; my brain would say don't stop pedalling and this actually caused me to worry about locking up.

I got over this by controlling the speed very heavily with both brakes on whilst keeping the pedals turning. No doubt I was descending probably as slowly as I'd ascended but gradually over the following rides, I'd gradually release the brake pressure allowing to build speed but always staying in control.

Eventually the day came when I went downhill with no brake feathering at all. It is now a natural thing. I can easily feather the brakes or resist the pedals at will.

Anothre thing that may help; I had also been doing a little running and found this constant motion really worked with fixed riding. Something I never found with freewheels.

Hope that helps.

Over and out!
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    The obvious answer is to plan the corner well in advance and stay relaxed to try and find the flow... apologies if these are blatantly clear but these are the main things I think about...
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • I find on a fixed descending goes more smoothly if you push harder. slowing down makes the bike bounce.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Haynes
    with practice i'm slowly getting this, ie keeping the power on though a corner. Thats the best way to corner on 4 wheels, keeping constant throttle, if you lift off it loses it. Just need more practice and get more confidence to push it harder as you suggest.
  • Haynes
    with practice i'm slowly getting this, ie keeping the power on though a corner. Thats the best way to corner on 4 wheels, keeping constant throttle, if you lift off it loses it. Just need more practice and get more confidence to push it harder as you suggest.
  • My old fixed bike is a 42x16 and I' m lucky in that were I live I have a choice of hilly routes and flat routes. With the fixed I always opt for the flat route one favourite route does include a descent. My little legs can spin to 30 mph ok on it! Due to the tight mudguard/frame clearance I have to run 700x20C tyres and this can be entertaining on wet twisty roads. My advice is take it easy look out for mud and diesel patchs and spin away. :)