Just started!

bn3gooner
bn3gooner Posts: 4
edited December 2008 in MTB beginners
Ive just got myself a scott aspect 45 09 ,took it from brighton to seaford which is 15 odd miles, and done 21 miles in total that evening, i suprised myself that after 3 years of no excersize i was able to do this, my only problem was my rear was not used to sitting on a saddle and is still hurting 2 days after, its a lovely bike and getting out was the best fun i have had in years. Im looking forward to more adventures,and hope to keep you all updated.and to anyone thinking of getting a bike do it!

Comments

• saltyman
    saltyman Posts: 472
    :wink: nice one.

usually takes 2 weeks or so to get your back end tightened up lol..........if you still suffer, then get a better saddle!
    roberts dogs bolx
    cannondale hooligan 1
    cannondale badboy
  • Mattbot2
    Mattbot2 Posts: 384
    Maybe you should try some ana... Wait, scratch that.
    2q2kfno.png
    ^^^ Click for pictures of my bike ^^
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Nice bike, good first choice. Stick with the riding, you'll break your backside in eventually, may take more than a couple of weeks, depends on how often you ride.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    edited December 2008
    bn3gooner wrote:
    done 21 miles in total that evening

That's a marathon ride for your first on a new bike. You should be well chuffed !

There's people I've been riding with for years who would get a sore ar$e if they ever did as much as 21 miles.

I just get dead legs 2 days after a long ride now. I bonked on a 42 miler a few months ago. Finished the ride but suffered later.

It's all good though :D
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • You are wearing padded shorts aren't you ???
    Be happy, communicate happiness.
  • no to padded shorts as yet although they are going to be my next investment....
    ive looked at this forum for months now, and feel its offered the best advice out there-it even encouraged me to find the extra 100 quid for my bike and invest in gloves and a helmet,which i'd have laughed at years ago. But i must admit togoing balls out to beat a guy on a racer for two miles, but the man pride i gained from beating him was immense,although i coughed my balls off after he was out of sight
  • Padded trolleys man, No 1 requirement, you can get just the undertrolleys to use with your own shorts which saves a few quid. You only get one arse, you've got to take care of it.

Same with heads, my previous helmet saved my life according to the doctors at the hospital, nuff said.
    Be happy, communicate happiness.
  • My first ride on my new bike I forgot to put my padded shorts on and I was cursing the saddle after a few miles.

All rides since I've had my padded shorts on and its like a different saddle- way comfier than my old one. :)
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Welcome to the Forum
  • Hi, If you fancy a ride through Friston Forest give me a shout just restarted myself after a few years on the sofa.
    Living in Seaford and looking for some company to ride with and enjoy my new found youth.........
  • nice one, i had a sore arse for a while when i started, from sitting in the saddle and from falling onto my arse. Definitely keeps you fit i can run for much longer distances and have better stamina since i started biking and its basically just a fun, and addictive (if sometimes a little expensive) sport and i just wish i had started sooner

Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • How do fella.

Aye, yer arse will get used to it after a while, i wouldn't worry to much about padded shorts although they will help.

Great isn't it, biking :lol:
  • You sound like an ideal candidate for the game.....FCN 8
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • You sound like an ideal candidate for the game.....FCN 8

Eh?????
  • Padded shorts will help but could be your saddle isnt that comfy as standard. My rockhopper saddle is pretty bad on long distances but on my Dale it has a fiz ik wing flex and that has done a 120 mile day long ride with no aches at all.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • i've got an alright saddle, its definitely cheap cos its the stock giant gel on e that came with the bike so is probably not that good and even though i just use normal baggy cargo shorts and not cycling specific ones its not the worst one i've ridden but i might be investing in a new saddle maybe sometime soon

Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008