Ride 2 Work scheme, £800 to spend, what to choose?

Dr S
Dr S Posts: 146
edited December 2008 in Road beginners
As it says. I've got £800 to spend at Evanscycles, I'm after a road bike for general fitness, maybe a little touring, maybe a TT at some point but mainly just general road riding.

Who can give me a run down on the options from Evans, Trek 1.7 looks good, its got fancy spokes!

Cheers Nick
Kona Kula Supreme, the hardtail
Scott Spark 20 the softtail
Cannondale CAAD9 the roadie

Comments

• edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    hi nick, just had a look and they're doing the last of the 2008 kona zings for 750 and they are pretty good spec... or a bianchi via nirone

the trek is pretty good too, you should go and get some test rides, for that kind of cash you want one to fit you
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    I am probably the only one here who wished our cycle to work scheme was with Halfords not Evans, as I really liked the look of the Boardmans.

But I bought the Trek 1.7. It is a good bike, though limited use for me. I think all Tiagra would have been better: simpler, sturdier. Trek 1.7 wont take mudguards, which is a serious pain as crud goes straight on to chain. Also, not much use for London commuting: discourages getting off the road and using cycle tracks, which are safer. A bit too fancy. But great fun in countryside for a blast.

I do not want to be negative. It is a really nice bike, but a pretty serious enthusiasts' one.

Is the 2009 different in specs to the 2008?
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    I am probably the only one here who wished our cycle to work scheme was with Halfords not Evans, as I really liked the look of the Boardmans.

But I bought the Trek 1.7. It is a good bike, though limited use for me. I think all Tiagra would have been better: simpler, sturdier. Trek 1.7 wont take mudguards, which is a serious pain as crud goes straight on to chain. Also, not much use for London commuting: discourages getting off the road and using cycle tracks, which are safer. A bit too fancy. But great fun in countryside for a blast.

I do not want to be negative. It is a really nice bike, but a pretty serious enthusiasts' one.

Is the 2009 different in specs to the 2008?
  • i think evens do them. saracen tourmelat is £800. its got campagnolo veloce(the equivalent of shimano 105) mavic aksiums £120 in shops. carbon seat stays, and a good ITM finishing kit.
    i dont hasve one but i have a friend who does and he loves it.
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    bice wrote:
    . . . . Trek 1.7 wont take mudguards, which is a serious pain as crud goes straight on to chain.

Try SKS raceblades or similar.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    I spent my CTW money on an Allez Elite.

I love it!

Was a tough decision when I saw a Bianchi though. :P
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com