Basso on Giro route

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited December 2008 in Pro race
I know this will probably prompt some wailing and moaning but I think some of Ivan's comments on the route are pretty interesting

http://www.cyclingnews.com/riders/2008/ ... =basso0803
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    You really want him to win this one don't you?

BTW: Why the fook does an all(ish) Italian team need to go to Spain for a training camp?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    iainf72 wrote:
    I know this will probably prompt some wailing and moaning but I think some of Ivan's comments on the route are pretty interesting

http://www.cyclingnews.com/riders/2008/ ... =basso0803

You're right iain. If you forget who wrote the article then he does bring up some rather interesting points. It looks like he has got in pretty early in doing his homework. He really is determined to win this one.
  • iainf72
    Timoid. wrote:

I do - I can't help but like Ivan.

Still, choice of Lance, Gibo (cha-ching), Di Luca etc....
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Timoid. wrote:
    BTW: Why the fook does an all(ish) Italian team need to go to Spain for a training camp?

There may be all sorts of evil and underhand reasons for this but the guaranteed lack of snow, loads of empty hotels and the absence of demented tifosi might have something to do with it also.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    LangerDan wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

There may be all sorts of evil and underhand reasons for this but the guaranteed lack of snow, loads of empty hotels and the absence of demented tifosi might have something to do with it also.

South of Italy's pretty good for all that too. And Sicily. The tifosi are okay, just a bit enthusiastic.

We'll its better than Mexico I suppose
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Why do football clubs throughout Europe go to Portugal, Spain and Dubai for training camps in the winter? Change of scenery, better weather, bonding etc
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    iainf72 wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

yet you have repeat posted against David Millar recently for not telling all that he did when he gave away half his career in one confession...world title...etc...stage of vuelta...how can you square this?
  • iainf72
    Dave_1 wrote:
    yet you have repeat posted against David Millar recently for not telling all that he did when he gave away half his career in one confession...world title...etc...stage of vuelta...how can you square this?

I'm not seeing your point?

Do I think Ivan told the truth? No. Do I think Millar told the truth? No. Therefore I feel there is a double standard at work if you accept Millar's "confession" but don't accept Ivans.
  • Dave_1 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

Millar is a liar. The guy doped more than three times, he was on gear when he was in Toulouse.

He went back to Cecchini, for his comeback. Who reckons it was for intervals? I would put my house on it he was on gear at Saunier, even with his recent statements throwing his ex team in the muck with their ethics. If he doped, as it my suspicion, on SD, his behaviour and comments now are truly reprehensible.

Great rider, great liar.
  • dave_1
    iainf72 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

I'm not seeing your point?

Do I think Ivan told the truth? No. Do I think Millar told the truth? No. Therefore I feel there is a double standard at work if you accept Millar's "confession" but don't accept Ivans.

:) So really...millar is as bad as basso but basso never conceded any wins were the result of doping and Millar lost three of his best wins-one a world title but you treat him like a dirty low down liar like basso. Why did Millar admit awa his biggest wins...why did he not pick some smaller races or experiments with EPO as reasons for the syringes. millar faced jail and Bass didn't. ...? Millar TTd near very his best at the 08 TDF
  • iainf72
    I could argue Basso would've won the 07 and 08 Giro's but because he confessed he gave up those results.

But I won't.
  • dave_1
    iainf72 wrote:
    I could argue Basso would've won the 07 and 08 Giro's but because he confessed he gave up those results.

But I won't.

and I could similar for Millar in 04-06-big wins lost by needless confession. Millar possibly should not have confessed as much...he had no need to like Basso, but he did, he even denied Gaummont's allagations about the syringe for the TT stage he won where ullrich crashed in 03 and with the threat of jailtime. Basso should have confessed away what he did...millar did and has a far lesser palmares -not Basso. Should Millar shut up too? You really are limiting who can mention doping from within the pro scene to nobody as everyone has connections to it from back at some point