ITV get rights to cover TdF live

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited January 2009 in Pro race
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/ITV ... 74181.html

At least it won't be turned into a PPV event by Mr Murdoch then.

But there really is only one way to watch it and that's on Eurosport HD.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• That's good news. I wonder if they'll get any Giro coverage this year, what with the Lance-effect I'd imagine it could pull in a fair few viewers.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I knew that the 2010 onwards TdF contract was up for grabs soon, but I'm quite surprised that it seems to have been tied up so swiftly, and apparantly smoothly, by ITV, as I'd heard that Sky were very interested in having it.

Good news though that it remains on 'terresterial' (yes I know ITV4 isn't strictly available to everyone at the moment) and isn't shunted off onto Sky. Plus daily live coverage would be fantastic, especially for those of us without Eurosport.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    phips wrote:
    Was the HD coverage good this year? i.e. was it filmed HD and therefore really good quality?

Yes. It started midway through the Tour and looked absolutely amazing.

I'm hopeful Paris-Roubaix will also be in HD next year.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    iainf72 wrote:
    But there really is only one way to watch it and that's on Eurosport HD.
    Don't forget cycling.tv :wink::lol:
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    I knew that the 2010 onwards TdF contract was up for grabs soon, but I'm quite surprised that it seems to have been tied up so swiftly, and apparantly smoothly, by ITV, as I'd heard that Sky were very interested in having it.

Good news though that it remains on 'terresterial' (yes I know ITV4 isn't strictly available to everyone at the moment) and isn't shunted off onto Sky. Plus daily live coverage would be fantastic, especially for those of us without Eurosport.

I thought ASO stipulated that it had to be on free-to-air in some form through the EBU agreement. Frankly, given audience figures on satellite only channels, it's easy to see why they'd prefer the highlights and lives on ITV with its potential audience.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    More cycling on ITV4 can only be a good thing, but I'd still choose to watch live coverage on Eurosport any day of the week.

ITV has too many adverts, and Eurosport has better commentators.

Say what you like about Eurosport for the rest of the year - their coverage of the classics is patchy at best, and their scheduling is hilariously random - but they very rarely get it wrong in July.

I would have liked to see ITV announce live coverage of the classics instead, or maybe a daily highlights show of the Giro.
  • Erm... the Tour went out live on ITV4 this year. You just had to press the red button. It was also live on ITV2 a few years ago.

And I fail to see how anyone could prefer the David Harmon Radio Show to ITV's coverage.
  • afx237vi
    The ITV contract runs out after the 2009 Tour, but they've now secured the rights until 2013.

And yes, there was live coverage on the red button this year but it was rubbish. No commentary for most of the stage and no way of making the picture full screen. Given that ITV's picture quality is incredibly ropey in the first place, trying to figure out what was going on in a tiny box in the corner of the screen was utterly pointless.

And I fail to see how anyone could prefer the Phil Liggett Getting Things Wrong And Then Being Corrected By Paul Sherwen Show to Eurosport's coverage.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DYNAMITE! wrote:
    Erm... the Tour went out live on ITV4 this year. You just had to press the red button. It was also live on ITV2 a few years ago.

It was live at weekends, but only during the week if you had Sky, not on the Freeview service.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Having decided to get rid of Sky and go for Freeview, I'm absolutely delighted.
    I will, however, miss Harmon and Kelly because I think they are excellent. I've never been impressed with Sherwin and Ligget.
  • I'm hoping for a few technical innovations soon to liven up the coverage. Helmet cams would be a good start.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    The Giro is better for innovations. More GPS stuff and HRM details. They've already used bike mounted cameras too.
  • You can get Eurosport live online only for about 4 euros a month- my sky dish is going too
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells
  • aarw
    aarw Posts: 448
    so no more tour on eurosport??

please don't say it's so.
  • afx237vi
    The Tour will still be on Eurosport, don't panic.
  • Everybody seems to be scrambling for coverage of races that "you know who" might be riding in.
    Harmon and Ligett in a competiton "love in".
    Getting very animated across the pond.
    NBC negotiating for the Giro.
    Cycling.tv's main earner has pulled this classic out of the bag:-
    VERSUS' on-air television coverage of the 2009 Tour Down Under, the first race of the year on the UCI ProTour calendar, will include 30-minute highlight shows each day from January 20-24. All telecasts will air at 4 p.m. ET except for the January 24 telecast which will air at 3:30 p.m. ET. On January 24, the network will stream the final stage of the race live on www.VERSUS.com and will produce a one-hour highlight show of the final stage which will air on VERSUS on January 25 at 5 p.m. ET.

You see, the world isn't in recession, it simply revolves around Lance Armstrong.
    I wonder what the Garmin and Columbia lads make of this, seeing nobody gave a t**s, about them, last season, but all are getting hot and sweaty about a Kazakh outfit.?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Some of the scenery of the TdF on Eurosport HD literally took my breath away!
  • afx237vi wrote:
    The ITV contract runs out after the 2009 Tour, but they've now secured the rights until 2013.

And yes, there was live coverage on the red button this year but it was rubbish. No commentary for most of the stage and no way of making the picture full screen. Given that ITV's picture quality is incredibly ropey in the first place, trying to figure out what was going on in a tiny box in the corner of the screen was utterly pointless.

And I fail to see how anyone could prefer the Phil Liggett Getting Things Wrong And Then Being Corrected By Paul Sherwen Show to Eurosport's coverage.

Of course they get lots of things wrong. But the mistakes are part of Phil and Paul's appeal, and errors occur in any walk of life when you're trying to do a decent job. Eurosport's relationship to commentary is a bit like Shakespeare and the proverbial infinite number of monkeys: give them enough time, and they'll eventually talk about what's happening on screen. I just haven't got the patience to wait for them, frankly, and fans of Harmon generally tend to be the ardent fact-hunting types who confuse trivia for knowledge. Not my bag at all, old boy, but you clearly think Harmon's ghoulish enthusiasm for crashes is worth £50 a month, or however much you pay for your subscription.

You're quite right that ITV4's postage-stamp picture was far from adequate, but I was just pointing out that, contrary to what the CW story maintained, the channel has already broadcast live daily coverage. And anyway, Phil and Paul were present whenever I pressed the red button, so I kept the audio on and watched the pictures on the internet. Lovely stuff!
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Give us Kelly and Harmon on Eurosport any day, rather than the chuckle brothers that are Liggett and Sherwin. God can you imagine those 2 creaming themselves at the return of the Messiah Armstrong. it`s well known they pander to the daft american viewers with their yankee speak. Team this or Team that. BIG George Hincapie !!!! it will be an all american love-in from the 1st race.

the Best thing Eurosport ever did was to get rid of Christy Anderson...she was the biggest pain in the arse that i have ever heard. Vive le Eurosport :lol:
  • aarw
    aarw Posts: 448
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Give us Kelly and Harmon on Eurosport any day, rather than the chuckle brothers that are Liggett and Sherwin. God can you imagine those 2 creaming themselves at the return of the Messiah Armstrong. it`s well known they pander to the daft american viewers with their yankee speak. Team this or Team that. BIG George Hincapie !!!! it will be an all american love-in from the 1st race.

the Best thing Eurosport ever did was to get rid of Christy Anderson...she was the biggest pain in the ars* that i have ever heard. Vive le Eurosport :lol:

amen.

spot on.
  • NapoleonD wrote:

You're dead?
  • afx237vi
    DYNAMITE! wrote:

Of course they get lots of things wrong. But the mistakes are part of Phil and Paul's appeal, and errors occur in any walk of life when you're trying to do a decent job. Eurosport's relationship to commentary is a bit like Shakespeare and the proverbial infinite number of monkeys: give them enough time, and they'll eventually talk about what's happening on screen. I just haven't got the patience to wait for them, frankly, and fans of Harmon generally tend to be the ardent fact-hunting types who confuse trivia for knowledge. Not my bag at all, old boy, but you clearly think Harmon's ghoulish enthusiasm for crashes is worth £50 a month, or however much you pay for your subscription.

You're quite right that ITV4's postage-stamp picture was far from adequate, but I was just pointing out that, contrary to what the CW story maintained, the channel has already broadcast live daily coverage. And anyway, Phil and Paul were present whenever I pressed the red button, so I kept the audio on and watched the pictures on the internet. Lovely stuff!

The bit in bold sounds remarkably like what people were saying about David Duffield 5 years ago. Look how that ended up.

Can't say I've ever noticed Harmon's ghoulish enthusiasm for crashes either. Maybe he just spots more that Ligget? :wink:
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    At least Harmon can spot the riders, and Kelly is brilliant with the tactical side of things!
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    It's Kelly as well for me that makes the Eurosport coverage so superb. Nice to have someone who not only knows the tactics inside out at the highest level, but is very good at keeping up with the race radio and the timings.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Nickwill wrote:
    At least Harmon can spot the riders, and Kelly is brilliant with the tactical side of things!

Well certainly, I agree about Kelly. Still laugh my ass off at what he said to his female co-comentator on the quality of tactics in women's racing.

Legend.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    British Eurosport commentary is slightly better than ITV, but boy do I miss having access to Flemish TV, taking their cycling audiences seriously... :cry:
  • DYNAMITE! wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

You're dead?

How did he post?
    Dead man breathing
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    What makes the Eurosport commentary so much better is the fact that they acknowledge that there are most than just the anglophone riders in the race and their reading of the race tactics is just so much better.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..