Greg Lemond

mylesrants
mylesrants Posts: 37
edited January 2009 in Pro race
We have the chance to ask living legend and all round American hero,
Greg Lemond a few questions on modern doping in the peloton.

Any Serious, honest suggestions.?

thanks
myles

www.bikepure.org

Comments

• CraigH
    CraigH Posts: 321
    Not Doping related ( for a change)

But what is happening with the Lemond brand? is there a replacement for Trek as a builder?
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    this is an honest question

Who will win the Tour de France this year? is there anyone else other than Contador who can really challenge for the top spot? Does he have an outside bet on anyone?
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
    6288 Posts: 131
    edhornby wrote:
    this is an honest question

Who will win the Tour de France this year? is there anyone else other than Contador who can really challenge for the top spot? Does he have an outside bet on anyone?

he will likely say himself ... there is a reason why the french nicknamed him after childrens building blocks ...
  • Two questions, but for you, not Lemond.

1) Can't you think of your own questions?

2) "living legend and all round American hero" - are you a journalist, or a fan?

Thanks for your help.

PS, your grammar is bad.
  • Bearing in mind you (GL) admit that former team-mates of yours died in the early 1990's and that a former ADR team-mate has just been convicted of drug use/distribution (Museeuw), how can you expect us to believe there was no drug programme at ADR when you won the Tour in 1990?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I dont think I've ever seen any credible talk of Lemond doping other than anonymous posters on forums ?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Matchstick Man, from what I've seen, ADR struggled to put petrol in the team cars, yet alone fuel their riders. Lemond had almost no support from team mates in the race and the management was chaotic. And remember that team-wide programmes were rare, until the PDM team, it was usually up to individual riders to "prepare" or "be professional".

So if you have doubts about Lemond, maybe look to the man but not the team.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    1. Given that you're not a scientist or doctor and you claim to never have used drugs, what have you done (or how have you learned) such that you claim to be an expert on doping detection?

2. Which TDF victory of yours was the toughest? Toughest to train for and toughest during the actual tour?

3. If you lose your case with Trek, what will you do to bring your company/bikes back?

4. What's your feeling on Garmin-Chipotle? What about internal dope testing in general?

5. When you were first diagnosed with mitochondrial myopathy, there were a number of rumors/insinuations in articles that it was due to you using EPO or other drugs. Given that, why did you essentially do the same to Lance with your insinuations that he must have doped?
  • Would lifetime bans work if a rider was proven to have taken performance enhancing drugs knowingly?

What would you do to help reduce the amount of drugs cheats found within the cycling world and other sports?

Should riders caught using drugs face prosecution for fraud, with a lengthy prison sentence?

Should event organisers have the power to stop a rider participating in their event for life if previously found guilty for drugs use?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    How does it feel to be the focal point of American disillusionment with the myth of Armstrong?

Did you race for silver at Chambery in 1989 given that you arrived at the finish with Kelly?
  • Yes

I would like to ask Greg Lemond loads of questions.

I am interested what he would do to stop drug taking in cycling and other sports.

Was he ever tempted to take drugs? And where did he draw the line --- I mean I might be mistaken but he I believe he did take vitamin B injections (I could be wrong about that)

Also

Does Greg think it is now time that anybody caught taking performance enhancing drugs in cycling to improve performance should now be banned for life?

Actually the above is the key question.

I have to say I am excited that Lance Armstrong is coming back into the sport but I really don't think that Lance is as good as Greg, Eddy Merckx or Stephen Roach, oh and B Hinault in their heyday. But that's just a personal point of view.

Which brings me to this point top riders of years gone by used to try and win different races not just the 3 Tours. Is it too hard for Professionals these days to compete all through the year hence the continued use of drugs in the sport.
    Are we asking too much of professionals to race all the time. As it seems some professionals who don't stand of a chance of winning even if they are on drugs are taking them just to ride in the bunch.

Anyway i have loads more but just ask the key question should drug cheats be banned for life and if yes why aren't the powers that be doing it.
  • thanks to all.*

we needed an independent cross section of questions , so the forum is an ideal medium.

Will post the complete interview on BikePure.org on the 4th Jan.

Happy Christmas and hope 2009 is full of tailwinds.

myles

*HeresJohnny-As always on open public venue, some one who didnt get enough hugs got off on remand. ba humbug. "shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"
  • Hi there.

Am I too late?

I want to know what Greg _really_ thinks about Hinault!

Cheers, Andy
  • kozzo
    kozzo Posts: 182
    mylesrants wrote:

Still nothing...
  • ACMadone
    ACMadone Posts: 300
    I've just checked and still nothing. Was looking forward to seeing what questions were actually asked
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    mylesrants wrote:
    thanks to all.*

we needed an independent cross section of questions , so the forum is an ideal medium.

Happy Christmas and hope 2009 is full of tailwinds.

myles

*HeresJohnny-As always on open public venue, some one who didnt get enough hugs got off on remand. ba humbug. "shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Where's the interview? it's not on the website.
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    damn,too late !
    so many cols,so little time!
  • im still in shock that someone would put roche in the same sentence as merckx and hinault......youve got to be joking about that one