Paris Roubaix 2009

mbt1967
mbt1967 Posts: 23
edited February 2010 in Pro race
Ive booked a ferry and a hotel in Roubaix for 3 nights.

My mate Rod and I planning to ride some of the route on Sat and watch on Sunday.

Can anyone recommend how to do this? I have the route mapped out in detail but where is best to watch? Is it free to get into the velodrome to see the finish? Where is a good place to enjoy the Sat and Sun evenings?

I fancy seeing race in Arenberg trench and velodrome but maybe carrefour l'arbre (please excuse the spelling) would be better.

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• I suggest you to stay around the Carrefour de l'Arbre. This place is full of campers who already arrive on Saturday afternoon. I used to make a reconnaissance of the itinerary the day before the race, and already around 4 pm, the place was full of people. The atmosphere on Saturday evening and during the race on Sunday must be fantastic. Watch this movie and you'll understand I guess. So this might already be a good place to stay on Saturday evening too. If you're lucky you might also find a big screen over there to follow the race.

I don't know if you have to pay to enter the velodrome. The Arenberg forest is also interesting to go to, lots of spectators there, but I think once the race has passed everyone leaves immediately.

If you want to ride the route on Saturday, again I advise you Carrefour de l'Arbre. You could start there and take the shortest route back until the Arenberg Forest. From there you could follow the route of the cyclists, which should already be traced out with arrows, until the Carrefour de l'Arbre, where you could have a good Belgian beer. The total distance would be around 80 miles I think and you'll have ridden all the important sections. After that, you can still put the bikes in the car, go to Roubaix center and do a few rounds on the velodrome.

Well, let me know if you have any more questions, and good luck!

Fred
    Belgium
  • Ah yes, I forgot to say: I do not advise doing the route with a road bike, but rather with a mountain bike.
  • Thanks Fred

Useful adce but I've got to do it on a road bike to get the full on experience....

Mat
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,477
    The velodrome is free to enter but it's first come, first served. There is a large screen there so you get to see the race action as it unfolds. If you see the race at the Arenberg then you should be able to get to the velodrome on time to see the finish but anywhere later then you are taking more of a chance.
  • What to ride on the Saturday depends on how far you fancy riding. To ride from Arenberg to the finish is great, but quite a long ride, especially when you'll have to ride out to Arenberg too. But the nature of the route makes it quite easy to miss bits out if you like. For example it's quite easy to take a shortcut from Arenberg to Orchies. But the bits you really have to ride are Arenberg, the Carrefour de L'Arbe and the velodrome. Make sure you ride round the velodrome, there are two ways in, sometimes they close one of the gates, but the other is usually open. Also make sure you go into the VC Roubaix cafe/clubhouse opposite the track entrance. If you ask them nicely, they might even let you have a look round the showers. I've managed to get in on a couple of occasions! Oh and check out the bar at the Arbe, I think it's a bit pricey, but I seem to remember some cool pictures about the place. Worth sticking your head round the door.

Also your right with the road bike, it has to be done on one. But I wouldn't ride if it's even slightly damp!

For the Sunday, going to the start is OK, bit of a drive from Roubaix, but if you get up early it's not too much of a problem. Most of the teams assemble in a VIP area in a square in the centre, but plenty of teams park up outside of this, so you can check out bikes n' stuff. But it's not great for photos and autographs as the riders seem a bit preoccupied for some reason? I would recommend going to Troisville, the first sector of pave,where it crosses the N43. It's easy to get to and get away from. From there, depends on how adventrous you want to be. Arenberg is good, as is the Carrefour, but I woudn't recommend going the the velodrome. If you get there late, you'll be stood right at the back and not see too much.

I'm trying to decide between Milan San Remo, Flanders and Roubaix for 2009, so might see you there...

Ian...
  • Burghley
    Burghley Posts: 412
    Hi

Can you supply a link to the 2009 route please.

Rgds

Pete
    www.bikesetup.co.uk
    miles more cycling comfort
  • colomers
    colomers Posts: 23
    Each year i go to see the race paris roubaix.
    I am living near Paris,so i takes my car and my vtt.
    During this day ,i can see the race seven times.
    the first place is Quievy,then the village called Verchain-Maugré,after i go to Monchaux sur Ecaillon where my car is.
    then i go with my car to Orchies(chemin des abattoirs).
    next village is Cysoing at 25 kms from the finish,Bourghelle, and the last time of this great
    journey the carrefour de l'arbre.
    For the map of the race and the time go to letour.fr
  • Incidentally, if anyone wants free accomodation for this year's race, then PM me.

I am living in Lens in Northern France until the week after the race, which is pretty close to the route (no more than half an hour to the main sections really) and all I ask in return is a lift to the different sections. Whatever happens I'm gona be in the velodrome from the juniors until the evening but I wouldn't mind seeing other parts.

If anyone's interested PM me. I can also be a translator for you as well :)
  • Just bumping this. Final offer, if no one's interested by this time next week I'll retract it and find a way around.

Free accommodation, half an hour from most sections of cobbles, I have a double airbed and bedding, and if more than two want to come there's another spare room for sleeping bags etc.

Also about half an hour from Wevelgem so you could combine the two if you wanted (not sure 'bout Flanders tbh)

I have good local knowledge and speak very good French.

PM me if interested
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    Hi.I've seen mentioned above that the camper vans are usually out at the Carrefour de l'arbre.
    Just thinking about nipping over with my family for the weekend,& wondering if anyone on the forum has been/seen anyone rough camp with a tent at the carrefour?
    Also any information on if there are any shops/eateries etc near there,& also the mention earlier of a large screen showing the race,has anyone seen this? (I know they have them out at the TDF)
    Any advice on previous experience is gratefully recieved
    so many cols,so little time!
  • Well, this map should give you an idea of what you can find nearby. Apart from the café/restaurant (which is closed the day of the race because it has been vandalised before), there is NOTHING on a regular day. However, I'm quite sure that during the weekend, there will be a lot of stands where you can buy hamburgers, maybe pizzas, and Belgian beer of course... There is a large screen as well but you have to bear in mind that you will be packed among many drunk people.

Just to give you an idea of the atmosphere: http://www.garagetv.be/video-galerij/ni ... baix2.aspx
  • nick hanson
    Thanks for that,sounds interesting! :D
  • My wife surprised me and we're off to France to see the race. So is my 2.5 year old. Book room at the start or in Roubaix? Or somewhere in between. We'll have a car but I can't abuse my kid too much.

Any advice? Anyone? Please
  • Burghley
    Burghley Posts: 412
    Hi

If you have to accommodate a small child I would recommend staying near Compeigne on Saturday night (if you can get a booking as the teams take most), e.g. Comfort Inn in Villers St Paul to the SW. The start area is very informal and you can wander between the team buses and get up close to the riders. Seconds after the race has started there is a frantic exodus from the town

Drive to Troisvilles for the first pave sector. Depending on your child, you may be able to catch one or two other sectors of pave, but make sure your Sunday night stay is in a hotel near Lille, so you can dive back there to catch the finish on TV (we have booked at Ibis Lille Villeneuve d'Ascq - which is only a few miles from the key latter pave sectors). Remember that you often have to make large detours to avoid the race route itself which will be closed anything up to one hour before the race.

Many spectators join a mad convoy of international vehicles between sectors - this is not for people of a nervous disposition! Don't know where to go? Follow a Belgian car full of guys with sponsors caps on - you will drive through parts of France rarely seen by tourists (not that you will have time to see much anyway).

Above all, enjoy the experience of one of France's major sporting events.

Rgds

Pete
    www.bikesetup.co.uk
    miles more cycling comfort
  • nick hanson
    I've booked the Eurotunnel,& a premier class hotel (v cheap) south of chantilly for the sat night.
    Might take the family for a look round gay Pari' in the eve,then,sun am,nip over to see the start.
    Am flexible after this for the day,maybe Carefour d l'arbre if the weather's good,& have a family picnic.
    Even going onto Letour.fr,I'm not finding any info on this years actual route for the cobbled sections.
    Anyone actually have the route,or is it only announced just before,to make sure that the various cobble repairs underway,are completed?
  • I'm following the directions from above. At the very least we all get to have an adventure to talk about.

If anyone else has any insight, please post it here or drop me a line at erik_laursen@yahoo.com.

Also... bikely has a 2009 route posted.

I cannot vouch for its accuracy.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Paris-Roubaix-2009
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    L'equipe will publish start lists and route map. Toying with the idea of nipping over to catch the race at Arenberg with a few mates - I've ridden the full route a couple of times - to hit Arenberg at full bore after 100 miles is one of cycling's great experience.s
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Does anyone know what the start time is? I am thinking that I may install my family in Paris and see the race on my own. That way Daddy comes home happy having seen the most important race in the universe. I just don't know if that is feasible.

Tried to book hotels in an around the start - no luck.

Suggestions? Start time? Anyone?

Thanks.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The race start is usually 10:00 CET from Compiegne which incidentally is quite a way north east of Paris.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Another useful link to this year's route:
    http://www.lesamisdeparisroubaix.com/PARCOURS%20PR2009.pdf
    (offered by 'the Friends of Paris Roubaix', an association that fights for the protection and restoration of cobbled sections).
    The only changes compared to last year are the removal of the section right after the Forest of Arenberg cobbles (-1600m), and the addition of a section in Bersée (2600m instead of 1100m).

And to anyone who is staying a few days extra in the north of France: at about 40k from Roubaix, in Oudenaarde, you can visit the Tour of Flanders museum. However, sadly, it is closed on Monday.
  • nick hanson
    Tried to book hotels in an around the start - no luck.

Suggestions? Start time? Anyone?

Thanks.
    as i said above,have booked south of chantilly at 36 euros per room with premier class.
    Not TOO far from the start.Bear in mind Easter time in France is a popular vacation time
  • colomers
    the start time is 10h50 from Compiègne
    Today you can visit www.lesamisdeparisroubaix.com
    Before the weekend visit le tour.fr
  • timbarnes
    timbarnes Posts: 15
    Just sorted a ferry and hotel in Gent for the weekend with the intention of driving down to see P-R.

Loads of good info on this thread, one thing I can't get a feel for - how easy is parking along the route? Are there any good tactics? Definite good spots for certain sectors? Or just go with the flow and figure it out over there?

Will probably aim for the Carrefour de l'arbre at a minimum, anyone got any tips for dumping the voiture there?

cheers....
  • colomers
    A wonderful place to watch the race is the middle of cobbles sector 25
    (Quievy to St Python).Put your car in the village called St Vaast en Cambresis,and walk
    2 or 3 minutes.
    After takes your car and go to Monchaux sur Ecaillon(end of sertor 19
    For this :direction St Aubert,villers en Cauchie,Haspres,and Monchaux.
    After direction Denain, takes autoroute A2,A23,and follow way out 3.
    You are now near the end of the sector 14(Tilloy-Sars et Rosières)
  • nick hanson
    Thanks Colomers,
    Was aiming to get to your first suggestion,glad you recommend it :D
    If weather's poor,will follow your tips.If weather ok,will then proceed to Carrefour,& mash up :wink:
    Car almost packed,time to calm kids down for bed,it's an early (4am) start tomorrow
    Hope everyone enjoys,& thanks for all info.
  • http://media.vrtnieuws.net/2009/04/1935 ... _wmvhi.wmv Quick Step training. Are they cutting up the grass at the beginning to stop the cyclists using that as a short cut? :o

Loving the retro jersey from them too 8). They should get all the teams to do similiar.
  • colomers
    to nick hanson
    If you sleep near Chantilly it's possible to see the start villagein Compiègne
    or an other choice is to go to Noyon(time race 11h26.
    After you have two hours before cobbles sector 25.
    For the end of the race don't takes the way out Orchies(A23),the road is closed.
    After cobbles sector 14 it's possible to go to Bourghelle.For this you must go over A23
    at the way out 3 and follow directions Landas Aix ,Bercu,and Boughelles Cysoing
    Excuse me ,but my english is poor
    Colomers
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Weather for tomorrow.

Any early mist and drizzle will clear to leave it dry for a time with sunny spells developing. Temperatures will reach around 20C (68F). However, as the afternoon progresses there will be a risk of showers developing. As if the distance and cobbles werent enough then they will also be going into a headwind. It shouldnt be too strong though, at an average speed of c.10mph.
  • 1-2-3 for roubaix
    Boonan
    Chavanel
    JAF

HH wont hurt enough with past glory in RVV, Pozzatto will be too busy doing his hair to get in the move. Cancellara will get the mix wrong, George, poor george will finish at the front of the second group (which is very respectable) retire when prodigy Edvald Boasson Hagen has 4 mins on him. Devolder crash out of the leading groupo when he 'accidently' touches big toms wheel. 5 into the roubaix velodrome where once again JAF will forget he has no gallop and Chavanel marks Thor (reluctantly) to give Tom the third win.
  • nick hanson
    Cheers Colomers
    Saw the start,then up to section 25,as you recommended.
    Then just caught d'arenberg section.
    After that we parked in Cysoing,& walked up sector 6 & had our food,
    after the leaders went through,I jogged cross the connecting road to sector 5
    & again saw the leaders through.after this,an English guy gave me & my son a lift across to sector 4 (Carrefour de l'arbre),& I saw the riders leaving the end of this sector,with Boonen out on his own.
    Altogether,an awesome weekend,getting home to Yorkshire,just after midnight :D