I want to test a full carbon bike out.

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited December 2008 in The bottom bracket
Hi.

Well basically I hear people talking about how they are so much faster, like 2mph, so I want to test one out even though I don't have any plan on buying in the near future but I'm itching to test one out over a couple of miles.

Would a bike shop like Edinburgh cycles let someone test it out even if you where not planning on buying in the near future but have a view of purchasing one sometime?

Thanks
Will.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,706
    Don't tell them that you're not planning to buy. ;)
  • Anonymous
    Yea but I don't like being dishonest as weird as it sounds, I'd feel really guilty lol.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Carbon frames aren't that special, it's the wheels that make the biggest difference. You might feel it a big difference, but it will be because of componentry difference or because you "feel that the carbon bike should be better".
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Carbon frames aren't that special, it's the wheels that make the biggest difference. You might feel it a big difference, but it will be because of componentry difference or because you "feel that the carbon bike should be better".

Ok, is it possible to test out wheels lol?
  • redddraggon
    willhub wrote:

Ok, is it possible to test out wheels lol?

Yes

Just find an LBS that lets you demo wheels - just don't tell them that you don't want to buy.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Cyclefit will loan you a v.expensive Serotta for a week for approx.£200 (refundable if you purchase a bike). You get to try a high end bike, you part with some money and feel no guilt. Sorted!
    M.Rushton
  • Anonymous
    mrushton wrote:
    Cyclefit will loan you a v.expensive Serotta for a week for approx.£200 (refundable if you purchase a bike). You get to try a high end bike, you part with some money and feel no guilt. Sorted!

200 quid could upgrade my existing wheels loool , no thanks!!!

I'll go ask at edinburgh cycles, they seem a fairly nice bunch and I've been up and down there like a yo yo the past 2 weeks.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I have tested various carbon bikes over the last few years, it isn't that hard but you might have to be a little deceitful to acomplish it. De Rosa Idol, Giant TCR and Cervelo R3 amongst the ones I have tried.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
  • Anonymous
    I cant get to otley, too far!, although I might ring em up and enquire then cycle there sometime.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    willhub wrote:
    I cant get to otley, too far!, although I might ring em up and enquire then cycle there sometime.

Too far????

York to Otley's about 25-30 miles centre to centre. You can do it on quiet roads also.

Assuming you don't have access to a car then train direct from York to either Weeton & Huby or Horsforth gets you to within 5 miles or so.

Bob
  • Will, you are more than welcome to try any of my kit out.

I have decent wheels you can try in your bike, or you can take my carbon bike out if you like.

You may have to get behind Reddraggon in the carbon que, he has first dibs.....
  • Anonymous
    Will, you are more than welcome to try any of my kit out.

I have decent wheels you can try in your bike, or you can take my carbon bike out if you like.

Really???

Where are you located? I'd like that very much especially to try the decent wheels :)

Thanks
    Will.
  • redddraggon

Watch out Dan, he breaks bikes :wink:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous

Watch out Dan, he breaks bikes :wink:

I hope that was meant as a joke ...rolleyes.gif

No I don't bloody break bikes.

The main things gone wrong on my bike is the cassette, chain and bottom brackets. The cassette and chain went due to wear and it was pretty obvious when using the chain tool to show this. The bottom bracket... well... Thats certainly not my fault rolleyes.gif
  • huggy
    huggy Posts: 242
    Ok, so too many miles destroyed your bike - case in point :) :P
  • fto-si
    fto-si Posts: 402
    My local Specialized dealer will let you take a bike for the weekend , you just need to have proof of ID and leave credit card details incase you don't bring it back!
    Maybe this is something all Specialized dealers do.
    exercise.png
  • Anonymous
    fto-si wrote:
    My local Specialized dealer will let you take a bike for the weekend , you just need to have proof of ID and leave credit card details incase you don't bring it back!

Cool so if you decided you liked the bike and wanted it.. all you have to do is not take it back then they take the monies out of your account? :lol:
  • fto-si
    fto-si Posts: 402
    willhub wrote:
    fto-si wrote:

Cool so if you decided you liked the bike and wanted it.. all you have to do is not take it back then they take the monies your of your account? :lol:

Not really as then you would be buying a bike which has been used for this purpose many times and hence it's not new. You would take it back and pay for a brand spanking new one.
    But the test period costs you nothing.
    exercise.png